Nov 9, 2013
✟247,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There's a great book by Steven T. Katz Mysticism and Philosophical Analysis, which analyzes the various reported experiences of religious mystics. The basic conclusion of the analysis of the phenomenology of the various experiences is that it is the same experience with different metaphysical underpinnings. It's a fascinating read.

Do you remember why he concluded that? I think it is the intuitive conclusion, and it was especially common during that period when religious pluralism was hot (and literally everything about different religions was interpreted that way), but that is the exact same time that Oxford was running their "Religious Experience Research Unit" and Tugwell was writing his "Faith and Experience" articles.

I've moved away from that conclusion myself. After doing more research I tend to think that the phenomenological experiences are legitimately different, though there are many overlaps. I'm fairly confident that it's almost impossible to separate metaphysical underpinnings from experience, and experience from interpretation.

The trouble with this area of study, as with religious pluralism, is that prior assumptions play an enormous role in conclusions. Simple hidden premises about pacifism, ecumenism, or religious diversity can color an entire evaluation. This means that a strictly defined and adhered to methodology becomes exceptionally important, but alas, this is precisely what is absent from most of these studies. This is usually explicit and is based on some admittance that they don't know exactly what they are studying, what mystical experience is, or what the object of mystical experience is. That sort of intellectual humility is fine, but in this case it means that we are up a creek without a paddle--a raging, white-water creek. ^_^

(Granted, as I read this review of Katz' work it seems that I mostly agree with him, if in fact the reviewer is accurately conveying Katz' position. His interpretation of Katz is altogether different from your own.)

Edit: Tugwell seems to concur with Knepper's assessment of Katz:

Katz is much less optimistic, and in fact seems to be
unduly gloomy about the possibility of any kind of cross-cultural
encounter or comparison, as if translation were not just difficult
(as everyone must allow) but actually impossible. But he too at
least sometimes talks as if it were in principle possible to abstract
an experience from its intentionality. (Faith and Experience III)​

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The only religion (that I know of anyhow) that can be said not to be a religion is the Druze religion. Basically a component of the religion is for adherents to not know anything about it. The only belief is it's monotheistic and maybe a prayer should be said once a year.
They have clergy that are to do the religious stuff behind closed doors on behalf of the adherents who need not nor can participate in anything.

• Useful
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟105,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From Merriam-Webster
Definition of religion

1 a: the state of a religious a nun in her 20th year of religion
b(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural
(2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Though some forms of Buddhism require faith most Buddhists I know approach it as a philosophy and way of life like Stoicism. No faith needed in anything supernatural. It all seems to be about seeing reality clearly with mindfulness and compassion.

With an approach like that there does not need to be conflict with Christian beleif.
The root of the word religion means "return to bondage." According to Christianity, Cults & Religions (7th Edition), Buddhism teaches that the "Eightfold Path recommends right knowledge, intentions, speech, conduct, livelihood, right effort, mindfulness, and meditation. Some Buddhist groups talk about an 'eternal Buddha' (life-force). Through the 'Doctrine of Assimilation,' the belief systems of other religions are blended into their form of Buddhism." Given this definition of Buddhism and its prescription on how to bind its adherents through controlling every aspect of their lives, I would say it qualifies as a religion.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟247,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The root of the word religion means "return to bondage."

According to who or what?!

There are certain lines of etymology that say the word is related to being bound fast to God, but I have simply never heard anyone claim that religion means a return to bondage or a return to slavery. That sounds like the weird notion perpetuated by "non-denominational" Christians who deny that Christianity is a religion and claim that all religion is man-made and evil.

• Useful
Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟289,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are certain lines of etymology that say the word is related to being bound fast to God, but I have simply never heard anyone claim that religion means a return to bondage or a return to slavery.
Right, more like a "tie" to discipline, a way of life, a morality.

Someone mentioned metaphysics, completely different. Yes, and yet the morality still aligns.

• Agree
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
1. RIGHT VIEW
A true understanding of how reality and suffering are intertwined. ...
Is there incompatibility with Christianity there?
Yes, Buddhism's Right View - the foundation of the other seven aspects of the Noble Eightfold Path - requires knowledge of cause & effect. Christianity's essential dogma - faith in Christ - would be considered Wrong View, since it involves dissolution of cause & effect.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟105,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to who or what?!

There are certain lines of etymology that say the word is related to being bound fast to God, but I have simply never heard anyone claim that religion means a return to bondage or a return to slavery. That sounds like the weird notion perpetuated by "non-denominational" Christians who deny that Christianity is a religion and claim that all religion is man-made and evil.
I wasn't responding to you, first of all. Secondly, just because you haven't heard this before doesn't mean it isn't true. Your experience is not the standard by which we measure things. You can look it up and find plenty of sources explaining this definition. Later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟247,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't responding to you, first of all. Secondly, just because you haven't heard this before doesn't mean it isn't true. Your experience is not the standard by which we measure things. You can look it up and find plenty of sources explaining this definition. Later.

So then you are unable to give any source for your strange view that the etymology of "religion" is inherently negative. Good to know.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟875,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you remember why he concluded that? I think it is the intuitive conclusion, and it was especially common during that period when religious pluralism was hot (and literally everything about different religions was interpreted that way), but that is the exact same time that Oxford was running their "Religious Experience Research Unit" and Tugwell was writing his "Faith and Experience" articles.

I've moved away from that conclusion myself. After doing more research I tend to think that the phenomenological experiences are legitimately different, though there are many overlaps. I'm fairly confident that it's almost impossible to separate metaphysical underpinnings from experience, and experience from interpretation.

The trouble with this area of study, as with religious pluralism, is that prior assumptions play an enormous role in conclusions. Simple hidden premises about pacifism, ecumenism, or religious diversity can color an entire evaluation. This means that a strictly defined and adhered to methodology becomes exceptionally important, but alas, this is precisely what is absent from most of these studies. This is usually explicit and is based on some admittance that they don't know exactly what they are studying, what mystical experience is, or what the object of mystical experience is. That sort of intellectual humility is fine, but in this case it means that we are up a creek without a paddle--a raging, white-water creek. ^_^

(Granted, as I read this review of Katz' work it seems that I mostly agree with him, if in fact the reviewer is accurately conveying Katz' position. His interpretation of Katz is altogether different from your own.)

Edit: Tugwell seems to concur with Knepper's assessment of Katz:

Katz is much less optimistic, and in fact seems to be
unduly gloomy about the possibility of any kind of cross-cultural
encounter or comparison, as if translation were not just difficult
(as everyone must allow) but actually impossible. But he too at
least sometimes talks as if it were in principle possible to abstract
an experience from its intentionality. (Faith and Experience III)​

It very well could be a conclusion based on prior preconceptions concerning religious pluralism. When it comes to phenomenological experience, it's difficult to seperate subjective experience from objective observation, despite the fact that is the goal of phenomenology, i.e. bracketing presuppositions.

• Useful
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟247,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It very well could be a conclusion based on prior preconceptions concerning religious pluralism. When it comes to phenomenological experience, it's difficult to seperate subjective experience from objective observation, despite the fact that is the goal of phenomenology, i.e. bracketing presuppositions.

This is a big topic, but in general I think the most potentially valuable contributions come from dialogues such as those that Thomas Merton and D.T. Suzuki had. In that case you had two intelligent, schooled, practicing religious who were genuinely interested in each other's religion. Of course the limitation of that model is that you can only compare two religions at any one time, but that "methodology" is hard to beat.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Aabbie James

Maintain love and truth in perfect balance
Jul 15, 2019
West Coast
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From Merriam-Webster
Definition of religion

1 a: the state of a religious a nun in her 20th year of religion
b(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural
(2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Though some forms of Buddhism require faith most Buddhists I know approach it as a philosophy and way of life like Stoicism. No faith needed in anything supernatural. It all seems to be about seeing reality clearly with mindfulness and compassion.

With an approach like that there does not need to be conflict with Christian beleif.
Buddhism is a false religion. Jesus and Buddha are incompatible. Buddha lies dead in his grave.

Christ rose from the dead and will return as conquering King, at the time of His choosing, in His perfect timing. Jesus is the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one shall see the Father but though the LORD. Amen.

Upvote 0