In, but not of, the World?

I admit that I used to stipulate, in sermons/talks,those things which were evidence of what constituted a good christian!! These included avoiding the wearing of jewellry,not watching TV, going to theatre, cinema, not listening to any music which was not Christian, etc. "Shock!! horror!!!" you may say, but I came from quite a legalistic background.

One of the things that I have found is having broken free from a background where spirituality is measured by the performance standards of the church, I realise the harm I done when I see others that have done/doing the same as me. I was even one who condemned other faiths because they did not subscribe to the same doctrines and understanding as me :(

God has turned me around in a big way, in allowing me to understand that good works is a result of the indwelling presence of God in me, rather than the means to getting that indwelling. It is God taking over my desire and allowing me to abide in him!! :clap:

However it can be so difficult to educate those who think you have sold out and dropped your "standards". For example for years I wanted to grow my hair in dreads and to wear a crucifix. Although the issue is no longer pressing ( I prefer bald/short hair now..LOL. Click here if your curious) it was something that really frustrated me. I was taught where the spirit of the Lord is there is liberty, then it appeared my liberty or freedom was taken from me....tantamount to false advertising!!!

How have you dealt with this kind of legalism amongst Christians whether in church, family or friends?

Or is this only my experience? Do you have any tools other than prayer that you have found successful in explaining/sharing your point or freedom in Christ?

How do you explain to them that "being in the world, not of the world", is as John Stott (Issues Facing Christians Today) explains either escaping or engaing the world, and that 'engagement means turning our faces towards the world in compassion, getting our hands dirty, sore and worn in it service, and feeling deep within us the stirring of the love of God which cannot be contained?

Dave :clap:

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
Wow this is a very good subject to talk about. I have never been into jewelry, or fancy clothes, etc... And many times have felt like an outcast because of it. But at the same time those aren't the only things of the world we can have desires for, there are many other things as well. As you mentioned movies, etc.. I'm sure the list can go on and on. And our number one desire should be to please God. One thing I have found that I will ask myself often is if I have anything in my life that I would not be willing to give up for God, If I would not be willing to give something up for Him then in a sense I am taking something of the world and placing it above Him.

Upvote 0

wryan

Dec 25, 2002
Southern New Jersey
Visit site
✟348.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Dave,

Let me add a third WOW here. :cool:  I agree with everything you said and no, it's not only your experience.  I've just come out of something similiar myself for very similiar reasons and it's both very freeing and quite hard for me as well.  For me it's not the reaching out that's hard, it's the exclusion you get because of it.  Alot of great Godly people that the Lord has used in my life are also very legalistic, and it's just as hard being seperated from them as it was when I was seperated from the rest of the world because of them.  Anyway, I just wanted to thankyou for being so open, it's very nice to know that I'm not the only one.  God Bless. Bill 

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Gerry
Alright Dave! Who is the good looking young man in the photo? Is that your younger brother, maybe? ;)

LOL Gerry. It was a promotional shot I took for my youth/prayer ministry -- a feeble attempt to show them I was still young at heart!!

Back to the subject. I don't think Christians should disregard the advice of people in church, especially if it is in love and with the guidance of scripture, but in no way should Christian standards be measured because of a set of rules which are bent in favour of whatever denomination you are.

Let's take for example the issue I mentioned of jewellry. By and large in my flavour of church it is frowned upon. I can understand to an extent  as a standard of the denomination, but I also understand that i causes great concern for those who don't see it as a form of idolatry (primary argument against it) as the israelites were warned. Paul explained that he would rather that people were dressed plainly and modestly. Modesty in context always suggests simplicity, not to draw selfish attention,etc.How do you then explain this to someone who is berating a youth who has pierced ears yet has a lexus parked outside the church and it is bought "on finance"??

Some situations are best that you walk away from, but others like Jesus and the apostles did, need to be confronted. How would I therefore define legalistic? Trying to live holy lives through good works without Christ!!!

May God grant us the wisdom to stand up and speak on this issue and also the wisdom for when we should keep silent.

Blessings
Dave :clap:

Upvote 0

wryan

Dec 25, 2002
Southern New Jersey
Visit site
✟348.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Again Dave,

Amen. I believe that good works is the ends, not the means. By having a loving and deep relationship with Christ, what is known as good works will come naturally. On the other side, good works on their own will not lead to a deep relationship with Christ. Infact, I would say that good works does nothing more than instill pride and a judgemantal attitude, which seperates us and our Lord even more. Further along, it seperates us from each other, and as a family, a body, and an army we should be working to unite in love, not divide in legalism. God Bless. Bill

Upvote 0