In a rare scenario, if a Christian were to be falsely imprisoned and beaten, should they confess to something they didn't do to stop the beating?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟177,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are actual real cases of this, in which they are later found innocent.

Where are Christians to stand on this? Because they are lying when they say they are guilty in order to stop the beatings, but I do understand that they want the beating to stop.

Should they tell the truth always, even if it means death?

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟27,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Where are Christians to stand on this? Because they are lying when they say they are guilty in order to stop the beatings, but I do understand that they want the beating to stop.

Jesus did. And He was falsely accused of all kinds of things - glutton, drunkard, possessed by demons, crazy, blasphemer. He even defended Himself against such charges. Until it was time to fulfill prophecy, when hauled before the Jewish and Roman authorities, then He didn't speak. Pertinent to your question, He also certainly didn't agree to any of the charges to save Himself from death, thus keeping His promise to lay down His life by His own authority.

I hope to think that if faced with the same scenario, we would have His strength to do the same - to love this life not unto the point of death. But I also hope that if we fail, like Peter did, that we'll be forgiven, restored, and given the opportunity to rise to that call when faced with it again. According to tradition, Peter certainly succeeded both with his subsequent life and martyrdom.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I am not sure if you are aware of this but a false confession is produced by police coercive tactics in other works, the person of interest is not in their right mind nor are they aware of their rights.
Beatings? Are you talking about third world countries?

Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,621.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Very simply, we are called to always speak the truth with grace and to bear the consequences of that with patience and hope in Christ, who has promised to be with us in our suffering and to raise us to new life. And even if we fail in proclaiming the truth as we should or if we lie, we may always repent and confess our sins to God our Father, who is mighty and gracious to forgive us.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0