I'm getting started with prayer beads...

Flat Eric

eibweN
Jul 11, 2010
✟8,705.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I had to switch off the electric today to plaster round a new socket I fitted. Whilst the power was off and waiting for the plaster to dry I made an Anglican prayer Rosary using a ball of string (couldn't find any cord) and the instructions from the Rosary Army couldn't post a link 'cos I haven't posted enough yet :sorry:

I don't know if it was the prayers or the peace and quiet, but I'm gonna get some proper nylon cord and do this again :pray:

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I had to switch off the electric today to plaster round a new socket I fitted. Whilst the power was off and waiting for the plaster to dry I made an Anglican prayer Rosary using a ball of string (couldn't find any cord) and the instructions from the Rosary Army couldn't post a link 'cos I haven't posted enough yet :sorry:

I don't know if it was the prayers or the peace and quiet, but I'm gonna get some proper nylon cord and do this again :pray:

Rosary Army: Free Rosary, Catholic Podcast, and How to Make an All-Twine Knotted Rosary

There you go.

Excellent recommendation, FE. :wave:

Reactions: Flat Eric
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

Flat Eric

eibweN
Jul 11, 2010
✟8,705.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You're just showing off now! ^_^

Wonder if I should give it a try? Not sure I would be any good at that. :)

I have repented of my pride:crossrc:

It's actually quite simple once you get started, the hardest part for me was getting the knots spaced evenly.

knots.jpg

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I have repented of my pride:crossrc:

It's actually quite simple once you get started, the hardest part for me was getting the knots spaced evenly.

That is very impressive! I see it is an Anglican rosary; I don't have any of them, just lots of Roman ones (not hand made). :)

Upvote 0

Flat Eric

eibweN
Jul 11, 2010
✟8,705.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
.....I see it is an Anglican rosary.....

That's what I intended, but when I started to use them I realise I made a mistake: there's no invitatory bead :doh:.
So I guess that makes it just a piece of string with knots in :D. Never mind, there's loads of string left!

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
That's what I intended, but when I started to use them I realise I made a mistake: there's no invitatory bead :doh:.
So I guess that makes it just a piece of string with knots in :D. Never mind, there's loads of string left!

Buy a medal of your favourite saint, and attach that in place of the invitatory bead. Then it is complete. :wave:

Reactions: Flat Eric
Upvote 0

Flat Eric

eibweN
Jul 11, 2010
✟8,705.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Nah, just made another one!

This week I've been keeping an Anglican Rosary in my overall pocket at work. I don't always have time to pray a full circuit of the beads,
but it does remind me constantly to be in God's presence. Every time I put my hand in my pocket I just offer up a quick,"Thank you Jesus"
and carry on with my work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Nah, just made another one!

This week I've been keeping an Anglican Rosary in my overall pocket at work. I don't always have time to pray a full circuit of the beads,
but it does remind me constantly to be in God's presence. Every time I put my hand in my pocket I just offer up a quick,"Thank you Jesus"
and carry on with my work.

What did you do with the old one? :confused:

I hope you undid every knot, and started again.

I pray the rosary regularly, and when I go out of my house, I always wear a rosary under my shirt, as a constant reminder to me of my faith. My priest suggested that if I wear it, I should let people see that I wear it, but it is not for other people to see; it is for me.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I love prayer beads, and I have a collection of about a dozen rosaries (I always feel at peace when I hold one in my hands). I also made myself some Anglican prayer beads a year or so ago clicky :)

I have a lot of rosaries as well. Beware, Minty. I started the way you have, and ended up praying the rosary, and growing to love it. It is a very great blessing indeed.

Those beads are lovely! Well done you!!

Pray The Rosary Online

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HisHomeMaker

Reading the Bible in 2011. Join me!
Nov 1, 2010
http://www.christianforums.com/f235/
✟8,461.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for this thread. It has helped me tremendously in finding a way to pray that may bring me peace. I am new to prayer. I thrive on structure. I hope that my meditations will bring me closer to God. I pray I will be quiet enough to hear his voice.

Upvote 0

HisHomeMaker

Nov 1, 2010
✟8,461.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I prepared the words I would use and I have started to make a rosary from old necklaces I own. Now that I read Jesus' words in Matthew, I wonder if using the rosary equates to "babbling" if I simply repeat the same words over and over. What do you think?

Matthew 6
7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9"This, then, is how you should pray:
" 'Our Father in heaven, ...

THE CROSS = LORDS PRAYER
Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy Name,
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those
who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
and the power, and the glory,
forever and ever. Amen.

INVITATORY
Oh, Lamb of God that taketh away the sins of the world
have mercy upon us,
have mercy upon us,
give us Thy Peace.

CRUCIFORMS = 4 = ACTS or Matthew, Mark, John, and Luke
Adoration - "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." - Galatians 5:22-23
I pray for understanding of God's desire for me so I may produce more fruit than I may plan for myself. - Matthew 13:20-23
--
Mark - Confession - I should behave as a Christian. I come to you, Christ, and wait on your future for me. - Mark 8.22-26
--
Luke 15 - Thanksgiving - I am your lost sheep and thankful for your mercy.
--
John - Supplication - I know I am loved by you, God, and I pass your love on to others (1 John 4:7-19)

WEEKS
Come Lord Jesus, draw me to you

Upvote 0

Nafe

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2010
✟26,062.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
HisHomeMaker, I just purchased a rosary online, awaiting for delivery, hopefully it will arrive next week. It usually takes 5 to 10 days for post to be received from the US to Australia

Being new to prayer also, i want to get into a deeper relationship with God through prayer and am hoping the Rosary will help in that.

For your question, regarding babbling if continually repeating the same line, my personal view would be not as long as your prayer is coming from the Heart and your not just "going through the motions"... if that makes sence

Upvote 0

HisHomeMaker

Nov 1, 2010
✟8,461.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Nafe, where are you getting your rosary from? Is it an Anglican set or are you going with a RC one? Have you decided which words to use.

I agree with your comment about being sure not to just "go through the motions". Sometimes I catch myself during Sunday service repeating the same things I say every week and not really saying them with heart. Then I'll just stop saying the words so I can listen and think and get back on track. I will stop myself when I'm praying with a rosary, too.

..HHM

Upvote 0