Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
It's a very split topic and could result in a lot of debate. My husband and I (for now at least) dont use medical birth control, but we use natural means (pulling out or pay attention to my cycle). We have two children right now (one in utero) but I dont know what we'd do once we got to 3. God said to multiply, so I do think it's great for God's people to have children. Any amount is multiplying the family line rather than ending it. But to pop out dozens of kids just because, isnt the best thing unless you have the means or calling to do so. I have nothing against families who choose to do this. If anyone should be procreating, it's the people of God in my estimate. But on the other hand, if a family cant have children then they cant have them. There is always adoption and there is even hope for the barren woman who cannot have children because she can still multiply in the sense of GOd's kingdom (new believers, training up/discipling etc).

That's my quick take on it. But I do believe just knowing the GOd we serve, that He also gave common sense.

P.S. As far as the account of the dude who spilled seed (cant remember his name at the moment), it was rebellion because God specifically wanted him to get his brother's sister pregnant to preserve her seed and bless her. But he refused to do so. I dont know if its wise to apply this particular scene to EVERY circumstance across the board. It kinda sounds like taking Scripture out of context. But I do believe if you can have children, have at least 1-2 if circumstances allow. And of course, pray about everything. :)

Upvote 0

cmarie423

Momma of 3
Mar 18, 2007
California
✟17,406.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's important to have children, however I think since you already have 6 children you can use it to wait in between if you want to have more kids. But important things to remember are if your healthy enough and if that will be financially good for you if you do decide to have more. God doesn't want you to put yourself in danger, so I think it's a matter of how you feel and how your body feels. :]

Upvote 0

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have a lot of trouble with that philosophy too, because we as Christians don't take a hands-off approach like that in everything. We don't sit in the driver's seat of a car with our foot on the gas and wait for God to direct the vehicle where He will. We may pray for direction on where to go each day, but we facilitate the actual movement of the vehicle to get there. And if it starts veering to the right, we don't just decide to travel right; we correct it. I think the decision of how many children to have and when should be planned in prayer, but achieving pregnancy or non-pregnancy requires actively timing relations and ovulation (any number of ways). It's a biological reality, not a mystery. Just because we choose to exercise our biological abilities does not mean it is always right or wise. I think it does mean that God will bless us where we are, but that does not necessarily mean He put us there.

I've heard sermons differentiating between His "perfect will" and "permissive will." He may permit you to have children and bless the decision, even if that was not the ideal situation. But just because it happened doesn't mean it was is perfect will for it to happen. Maybe it just means He gave you the tools and you used them, and it worked... like with any other venture. Simply rolling the dice by ignoring all the biological factors that are necessary for conception, even when you know they exist, is not in my opinion following God's will. It's playing Roulette.

I also think that if birth control was inherently wrong, then the Bible would have at least some indication of that. It's pretty clear that Onan was disobeying a direct commandment given to him, so it's kind of hard to extrapolate Genesis 38:9 to mean that all birth control is wrong. So where is this hands-off philosophy coming from biblically?

Upvote 0