I’ve Been at NPR for 25 Years. Here’s How We Lost America’s Trust.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟376,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Let’s not discount Trump’s own hand in this. He has painted the media as his enemy. If you support Donald Trump, would you continue to work for his enemy? Doubtful. If you support Donald Trump, would you choose to go work for his enemy? Of course not. Trump has had a hand in making the media lean more left.
To be clear, he painted the LEGACY media as the enemy. You know, the enemy that arguably takes some steps towards professional journalism.

He has NO problem with media sites that do not provide a meaningful critique of his behaviour or priorities because has he believe, he's never done anything wrong....certainly nothing he needs to take responsibility for.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟438,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Ultimately, neither the public nor advertisers will pay the cost of disinterest.
They did for a generation or so. I think the internet has blown it all up tho, with instant access to whatever cuts the boredom and entertains or aggravates. We shouldnt underestimate peoples addiction to indignation and aggravation.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟584,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let’s not discount Trump’s own hand in this. He has painted the media as his enemy. If you support Donald Trump, would you continue to work for his enemy? Doubtful. If you support Donald Trump, would you choose to go work for his enemy? Of course not. Trump has had a hand in making the media lean more left.
I thought about this chicken or egg effect. Then I realized that this all preceded Trump. The echo chamber environment of New York City based journalism was just as evident in Nixon's time as Trump's. That was really the point of my post. I don't think this effect is one where one person or one organization is to blame. The leftward slide of news media could probably be traced back to the 60's radicals that became the media talking heads in the 70's.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,489,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought about this chicken or egg effect. Then I realized that this all preceded Trump. The echo chamber environment of New York City based journalism was just as evident in Nixon's time as Trump's. That was really the point of my post. I don't think this effect is one where one person or one organization is to blame. The leftward slide of news media could probably be traced back to the 60's radicals that became the media talking heads in the 70's.

A funny moment that my daughter noticed: On 9/12, she noted that on the television news stations, a whole bunch of old people suddenly replaced the young, beautiful talking head anchors that had been reading the news as she knew it. I had to tell her that those were the old news anchors from the 80s.

• Haha
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟567,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I can remember in November, 2016 the tone in the major media decision centers. They started the evening practically declaring a Clinton win. I remember one political analyst saying that the only way for Trump to win was for a long series of dominos to fall just the right way. As each domino fell, the tone got more and more somber and the decision calls in each state started getting delayed more and more. By 1 a.m., they could not deny the data anymore and they finally called it for Trump. The mood was funereal. One commentator made a comment that he couldn't understand how Trump won. This echoed a comment made in 1972 after Nixon was reelected in a landslide, when a newspaper journalist famously quipped, "I don't know how he was elected. I don't know anyone that voted for him."

To paraphrase Tom Brokaw, the venerable older head in the room, "I think it is time for more journalists to travel past the Hudson River." Berliner did a poll of the NPR newsroom and found that the party affiliation of Democrat to Republican was 87-0. So in the 8 years since Trump's election, things have only gotten worse in the slant of news organizations. They did not follow Brokaw's advice to their own shame and media has become more about opinion that open discussion.
Perhaps there’s such an imbalance in newsrooms because Republicans make lousy journalists. After all, how many halfway decent right-leaning outlets are there? WSJ, the Economist, and…. anybody else? Seems to me that the Right has a thing for consuming and creating trash “news.” It should be no surprise then that they can’t land gigs in better organizations.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟216,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, worse for everybody, because the hysterical Right was using them to foment a bunch of lies and conspiracy theories.

What's to report on the lab leak? "Most people think it developed in nature. Some others think is leaked from a lab, but aren't very confident about that analysis."

What's to report on Hunter's laptop? "President's son did a bunch of drugs and got some gigs based on his family name. The provenance of the laptop was suspicious at first, but now that it's been authenticated, it still doesn't implicate the president in anything."

I just summed up both of those stories in four sentences. How much should they rehash that?
Back when I worked in my basement late into the evening, I listened to John Schaefer's New Sounds. I loved that show; should probably stream it now. He introduced me to some of my all time favorites.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟216,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A funny moment that my daughter noticed: On 9/12, she noted that on the television news stations, a whole bunch of old people suddenly replaced the young, beautiful talking head anchors that had been reading the news as she knew it. I had to tell her that those were the old news anchors from the 80s.
That happened on C-Span, too.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟584,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Perhaps there’s such an imbalance in newsrooms because Republicans make lousy journalists. After all, how many halfway decent right-leaning outlets are there? WSJ, the Economist, and…. anybody else? Seems to me that the Right has a thing for consuming and creating trash “news.” It should be no surprise then that they can’t land gigs in better organizations.
What is important as consumers of news is not the bias in the media as much as our understanding their bias. That understanding allows us to not get stuck in an echo chamber where we are suffering from confirmation bias, consuming news that just reinforces our opinions instead of challenging them.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's funny hearing the left bash "right-wing" news as if theirs were gospel. How can anyone do any critical thinking if they only hear half the story or are not told the story at all? Trump being racist is one lie that had everyone emotional because half the country did not listen to his speech and took what the media told them and ran with it. Also what I've heard is "Russian propaganda" as if the Western propaganda is truth. We are all being manipulated through Fifth Generation Warfare which has divided our country. Even economic news is misleading on unemployment because you never hear about the revisions that happened the next month or how many of those jobs were created because people are having to work two jobs. News is going to be interesting in the future when AI matures. The battle for our minds!

I'll agree with most here that NPR is somewhat center but I still heard the left's talking points. I used to listen to it with a liberal friend of mine when he drove when we carpooled. Peace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟567,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's funny hearing the left bash "right-wing" news as if theirs were gospel.

You're misunderstanding my position.

Do I think the outlets on "my side" are gospel? No, not remotely.

However, there is a difference between generally trying to do good journalism with balanced, intelligent writing (which is how I'd describe most left-leaning mainstream outlets) and the low-quality, hyper-reactionary propaganda that's indicative of most right-wing outlets.

How can anyone do any critical thinking if they only hear half the story or are not told the story at all?

Right-wing media is often not merely trying to tell "the other half" of the story. Most right-wing outlets, at least in the US, peddle in yellow journalism.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're misunderstanding my position.
I wasn't pointing the finger at you or I would have replied to you directly. I apologize for this misunderstanding. Earlier in this thread I saw a reply "oh that's Fox news" I was generally speaking.
Do I think the outlets on "my side" are gospel? No, not remotely.
Nor do I think right-wing outlets are gospel (trustworthy) like I used to. I find out the devious stuff the right does from the left and vice versa. I learned here on this forum how certain people's views are about news outlets. I found that out with zero hedge when I first posted the news or blogs I got from Finviz a financial site. I see that a lot of stuff is right leaning with zero hedge so I try not to post stuff that creates the political tit for tat.

Right-wing media is often not merely trying to tell "the other half" of the story. Most right-wing outlets, at least in the US, peddle in yellow journalism.
I disagree and I had to look up yellow journalism. lol How do you know if you don't watch and I used to think the same about left media? I've said before that I don't watch ms media (I get that here lol) I tend to go non-Western foreign because everything from the West seems scripted. I read everything as propaganda. Peace

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
However, there is a difference between generally trying to do good journalism with balanced, intelligent writing (which is how I'd describe most left-leaning mainstream outlets) and the low-quality, hyper-reactionary propaganda that's indicative of most right-wing outlets.
I had to come back to this thread because of our conversation about "$1 trillion every hundred days" I searched and noticed that not too many Left Wing News came up on that search. In my book hiding information is as bad as misinformation.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟567,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I had to come back to this thread because of our conversation about "$1 trillion every hundred days" I searched and noticed that not too many Left Wing News came up on that search. In my book hiding information is as bad as misinformation.
Nobody's hiding anything. Lots of outlets talk about the federal budget:

The reasons your specific phrase doesn't come up are: 1.) it's sort of silly and more-likely-than-anything to be used in a hysterical way and 2.) it's just wrong. The federal budget for next fiscal year is $7.3 trillion, which is $2 trillion every 100 days, not $1 trillion.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1.) it's sort of silly and more-likely-than-anything to be used in a hysterical way and 2.) it's just wrong.
Is CNBC silly? It was a true statement when it was written and because you provided a Google search it's 1.2 trillion they passed into law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟567,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Is CNBC silly?

Every outlet has their moments.

It was a true statement when it was written

Which would've been, what? 10 years ago?

and because you provided a Google search it's 1.2 trillion they passed into law.
That wasn't the entire budget. That was just a temporary measure to avoid a shutdown:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2024/03/23/government-shutdown-spending-bill-vote/
The bill, which senators passed early Saturday by a 74-24 vote, funds about three-quarters of the federal government for the next six months,

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟567,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟138,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps there’s such an imbalance in newsrooms because Republicans make lousy journalists.

This belief that the left-wing has a monopoly on quality journalism is fascinating to me.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nobody's hiding anything. Lots of outlets talk about the federal budget:
I learned something today that all web browsers are not created equal. I use the Brave browser because my son says it's more private. I went eye doctor and looked it up again and the Brave browser on my phone gave me different info. Got home and on Chrome wala. I stand corrected on hiding information my browser was hiding it from me lol. I was limited in the ammo to fight you guys with lol. I thought the internet was the internet and what is going on. Help Please.

Seriously, you and I know that spending adds to the debt. Then you have to wonder how much debt is sustainable.

Upvote 0