I’ve Been at NPR for 25 Years. Here’s How We Lost America’s Trust.

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟222,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Like many unfortunate things, the rise of advocacy took off with Donald Trump. As in many newsrooms, his election in 2016 was greeted at NPR with a mixture of disbelief, anger, and despair. (Just to note, I eagerly voted against Trump twice but felt we were obliged to cover him fairly.) But what began as tough, straightforward coverage of a belligerent, truth-impaired president veered toward efforts to damage or topple Trump’s presidency.
The coverage of Trump is certainly out of control.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,262,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Like many unfortunate things, the rise of advocacy took off with Donald Trump. As in many newsrooms, his election in 2016 was greeted at NPR with a mixture of disbelief, anger, and despair. (Just to note, I eagerly voted against Trump twice but felt we were obliged to cover him fairly.) But what began as tough, straightforward coverage of a belligerent, truth-impaired president veered toward efforts to damage or topple Trump’s presidency.
I was once an avid listener to NPR. Less and less until now it's just not on my list. They became 'Some Things Considered' and then 'All Woke Things Considered' and I faded away. They WERE good about 40 years ago.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟572,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
lol, I was wondering how long it'd take for this article to get here.

I have my complaints about NPR, but if two of your prime examples are the lab leak theory and Hunter's laptop, then you're not being serious. Dude is being turned into a MAGA-ish contrarian.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟155,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
A lot of “that’s not how we NPRed in my day!” vibes.

Don’t fund NPR a dime from the public-trough.
That’ll fix ‘em, without the collar of public funding holding them back, they can be as openly lefty as the market will bear; there’s the rub, though, they might do very well in that regard and it’s better to give them a pittance to rein them in a bit.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,262,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A lot of “that’s not how we NPRed in my day!” vibes.

Don’t fund NPR a dime from the public-trough.
That’ll fix ‘em, without the collar of public funding holding them back, they can be as openly lefty as the market will bear; there’s the rub, though, they might do very well in that regard and it’s better to give them a pittance to rein them in a bit.
Much of their funding is through memberships, so they are not totally dependent on congressional funding. Not sure the percentage but I suspect most of their money is from memberships, foundations, and corporate sponsors (essentially commercials). They are lefty to the extent that the money flows, but their support could wither if lefty money doesn’t replace lost conservative and moderate money.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟104,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Much of their funding is through memberships, so they are not totally dependent on congressional funding. Not sure the percentage but I suspect most of their money is from memberships, foundations, and corporate sponsors (essentially commercials). They are lefty to the extent that the money flows, but their support could wither if lefty money doesn’t replace lost conservative and moderate money.
Seems to me, if conservatives don't like the tone of NPRs coverage, they should up their support until they surpass the "lefty money," and call the shots themselves.

-- A2SG, unless they feel Fox News is doing enough already....

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,454,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How so? (and yes, I expect some examples from actual NPR content)

I mean, it's kind of hard to avoid Trump news these days. In one week, he has tried to delay his upcoming criminal trial 3 times. Or would you would prefer the news organizations skip that piece of information?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,262,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Seems to me, if conservatives don't like the tone of NPRs coverage, they should up their support until they surpass the "lefty money," and call the shots themselves.

-- A2SG, unless they feel Fox News is doing enough already....
A hostile takeover?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟440,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You voted against Trump? I find that hard to believe. But if you say so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,262,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟440,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Read for content. That was a quotation from the article.
Ah. We should indicate when we're quoting things with quotes or the quote function. Its presented as if its his own commentary on the article.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,262,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Ah. We should indicate when we're quoting things with quotes or the quote function. Its presented as if its his own commentary on the article.
You comment on things without reading the associated articles? Had you read it before commenting you might have known, maybe, that it was a quite from the article.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟440,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You comment on things without reading the associated articles? Had you read it before commenting you might have known, maybe, that it was a quite from the article.
Sometimes I do respond directly to someones comment before looking into anything else when they present a particularly standout fact.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟316,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
lol, I was wondering how long it'd take for this article to get here.

I have my complaints about NPR, but if two of your prime examples are the lab leak theory and Hunter's laptop, then you're not being serious. Dude is being turned into a MAGA-ish contrarian.
I agree with this.

I also wonder if the audience shift is due to the audience getting pushed away from NPR from other news sources. I have not noticed a 'woke' programming from it, it has mostly been the same programming I have seen since the 2000's. But if you think it is 'woke' now, I think there has been a shift in your viewpoints.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟379,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I would LOVE to hear from the OP which news media outlets are trustworthy and what makes them so?

Also, generally curious from everyone, what makes a news outlet worthy of your consideration?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟572,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with this.

I also wonder if the audience shift is due to the audience getting pushed away from NPR from other news sources. I have not noticed a 'woke' programming from it, it has mostly been the same programming I have seen since the 2000's. But if you think it is 'woke' now, I think there has been a shift in your viewpoints.
I don't listen as much as I used to because I don't have a commute anymore, but when I do listen, it feels like it's skewed younger and more simplistic. That could just be me getting older and expecting more, but I don't think so. I've read others commenting that the skew towards youth has brought with it more of the DEI-related content that the yutes care about. That strikes me as plausible.

But either way, lab leak and Hunter's laptop have nothing to do with wokeness. They were (and are) dodgy stories with little substance and a whole lot of nonsensical right-wing hysteria. There's basically no good way to report on them that won't make things worse.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,262,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There's basically no good way to report on them that won't make things worse.
Worse for Biden? There should be a way to report on things that is informative. Hiding stuff does seem to be what makes things worse.

Upvote 0