How to take the chalice during Holy Communion?

pelargir

Jul 4, 2023
North Carolina
✟18,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
During Holy Communion, our church offers both individual disposable cups and a chalice. How does one indicate they want the chalice? The servers offer an individual cup by default, saying "the blood of Christ," and it seems rude to say "no thanks." Is there a commonly understood "polite" way of handling this situation, or is it handled differently by each church? Thanks for any advice.

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
During Holy Communion, our church offers both individual disposable cups and a chalice. How does one indicate they want the chalice? The servers offer an individual cup by default, saying "the blood of Christ," and it seems rude to say "no thanks." Is there a commonly understood "polite" way of handling this situation, or is it handled differently by each church? Thanks for any advice.
So you have individual cups that hold "the blood of Christ" and you throw them in the trash?

Upvote 0

pelargir

Jul 4, 2023
North Carolina
✟18,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So you have individual cups that hold "the blood of Christ" and you throw them in the trash?

We're new to this church, but my understanding from the LCMS web site is that individual cups are common in most LCMS churches now. I would assume they are properly washed before disposal. However, my question has nothing to do with individual cups, but rather how to indicate a preference for the chalice. Your response could not be more unhelpful.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ask the pastor. When I was an LCMS elder, the pastor went first with the wafers, then an elder with the chalice went first then a second one with the individual cup tray.

As for throwing away the elements, even in the LCMS, the general understanding is either completely receptionist, that only when you receive does the sacramental union occur, or that at the end of the service, the elements revert back to being bread and wine.

Upvote 0

pelargir

Jul 4, 2023
North Carolina
✟18,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Ask the pastor. When I was an LCMS elder, the pastor went first with the wafers, then an elder with the chalice went first then a second one with the individual cup tray.

As for throwing away the elements, even in the LCMS, the general understanding is either completely receptionist, that only when you receive does the sacramental union occur, or that at the end of the service, the elements revert back to being bread and wine.

Thank you. That's good to know. I appreciate the help.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
How convenient...

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We're new to this church, but my understanding from the LCMS web site is that individual cups are common in most LCMS churches now. I would assume they are properly washed before disposal. However, my question has nothing to do with individual cups, but rather how to indicate a preference for the chalice. Your response could not be more unhelpful.
Why would washing them be any different? The wash waters would go down the drain.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Propitiated
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟573,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The individual cups were known in the long past too. My grandparents had them from at least the 1960s. They were glass and they did indeed get washed after each communion service, which was only quarterly. They were ALC in those days.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The individual cups were known in the long past too. My grandparents had them from at least the 1960s. They were glass and they did indeed get washed after each communion service, which was only quarterly. They were ALC in those days.
1960s is not "long past" to me. 2000 years is though...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟835,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Maybe your former Congregaton was receptionist, but this is not the case Synod wide. Receptionist thought is one of the majore stumbling blocks in the Anglican faith that has precluded considering fellowship between the ACNA and the LCMS/LCC

For someone who served as an LCMS elder, you catechesis sounds like it was exceptionally poor.

Receptionism implies that we must cooperate and therefore contribute to the grace that we receive.

You must recall from the catechism that we are incapable of cooperating, only rebelling against God, it is thorugh through the intervention of the Holy Spirit, not in and of our selves.

BTW, you are no longer Lutheran, so you may not teach in this forum. Please abide by the forums rules as a congregational forum.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟835,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
How convenient...
This is an untrue statement. LCMS/LCC are NOT receptionist; Anglicans are (or at least are allowed to belive this), I think our friend is promoting eastern orthodoxy in our Lutheran Forum. LCMS's view of the the Sacrament is very similar to that of the EO.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe your former Congregaton was receptionist, but this is not the case Synod wide. Receptionist thought is one of the majore stumbling blocks in the Anglican faith that has precluded considering fellowship between the ACNA and the LCMS/LCC

For someone who served as an LCMS elder, you catechesis sounds like it was exceptionally poor.

Receptionism implies that we must cooperate and therefore contribute to the grace that we receive.

You must recall from the catechism that we are incapable of cooperating, only rebelling against God, it is thorugh through the intervention of the Holy Spirit, not in and of our selves.

BTW, you are no longer Lutheran, so you may not teach in this forum. Please abide by the forums rules as a congregational forum.
Sorry about that. Considering my catechism was in one of the churches that was a center for Lutheran orthodoxy during the Seminex crisis, I doubt that my catechisis was poor. One of my family's friends was the attorney for Robert Preus against Ralph Bohlmann. I served as an elder under the now director of LHM and a professor at Concordia St. Louis. He was pretty understanding of my frustrations with the LCMS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟835,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Sorry about that. Considering my catechism was in one of the churches that was a center for Lutheran orthodoxy during the Seminex crisis, I doubt that my catechisis was poor. One of my family's friends was the attorney for Robert Preus against Ralph Bohlmann. I served as an elder under the now director of LHM and a professor at Concordia St. Louis. He was pretty understanding of my frustrations with the LCMS.
While there are members of our congregations, and possibly some heterodox clergy who may hold this wrong belief, your misrepresentation in presenting this as a foundational teaching/belief of the LCMS; is 100% in error. This is an insult and an affront to all orthodox, confessional Lutherans.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟753,544.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
If someone were in a LCMS congregation and were taught the receptionist view I would have to say that would be a poor catechesis. Nothing personal. My Pastor is always hammer the objective, true Body and Blood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟835,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If someone were in a LCMS congregation and were taught the receptionist view I would have to say that would be a poor catechesis. Nothing personal. My Pastor is always hammer the objective, true Body and Blood.
This is most certainly true.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟835,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I've opened up another thread in Traditional Theology to discuss this further. Again my sincerest apologies
Thanks, and sorry if I came across as being harsh, but misunderstanding the Eucharist has been the root cause among the other Protestant Churches including most liberal Lutherans and most Anglicans condemning the practice of closed communion. If we were receptionists, what would open communion matter; if receptionism was the case, why does Scripture admonish and caution regarding discerning the body and blood, and worthy reception?

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here's the link for the thread in Traditional Theology. One thing to note is that I was not referring the LCMS as the same as the Anglican definition but rather the practice of returning unused elements back to original containers.

Upvote 0

Propitiated

Feb 19, 2024
Lancastetr
✟2,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
When I was in a similar situation years ago, I would just cross my arms in front of my body on my chest, to indicate that I will wait for the common cup instead.

Upvote 0