ChristianGirl5

Mar 27, 2016
U.S.
✟7,628.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm obviously Christian and I believe that what the Bibke says is true. I don't feel that we should put emphasis on the passages on homosexuality and judge others for it because we're all guilty of some sin or another too!

Anyway I have a guy friend who's not Christian and he's become like my little brother. But recently I found out he's gay (he hasn't told me directly, I just found out from other sources). I think he's hesitant to tell me cause he knows I'm Christian but I love him to death like a little brother. I realize the Bible discusses homosexuality as wrong but I don't wanna point fingers at him or just abandon him because of this. I wanna help him (if he ever tells me the truth). He's kinda resistant to Christianity so I don't think I should bring it up.

I'm away at school and don't really have the Christian guidance from other Christians with the same view as me so I haven't been able to talk to anyone about this from a Christian perspective:( I believe that God put him in my life for a reason but now I don't know what to do:( I prayed I'd be able to talk with him and I did get to talk to him but it was about everything except that it seems...Any suggestions of how I should handle this?

HarvestTheFields

Great White North
Mar 7, 2016
Indiana
Visit site
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'm obviously Christian and I believe that what the Bibke says is true. I don't feel that we should put emphasis on the passages on homosexuality and judge others for it because we're all guilty of some sin or another too!

Anyway I have a guy friend who's not Christian and he's become like my little brother. But recently I found out he's gay (he hasn't told me directly, I just found out from other sources). I think he's hesitant to tell me cause he knows I'm Christian but I love him to death like a little brother. I realize the Bible discusses homosexuality as wrong but I don't wanna point fingers at him or just abandon him because of this. I wanna help him (if he ever tells me the truth). He's kinda resistant to Christianity so I don't think I should bring it up.

I'm away at school and don't really have the Christian guidance from other Christians with the same view as me so I haven't been able to talk to anyone about this from a Christian perspective:( I believe that God put him in my life for a reason but now I don't know what to do:( I prayed I'd be able to talk with him and I did get to talk to him but it was about everything except that it seems...Any suggestions of how I should handle this?

I have been in the exact situation. It can be kind of awkward. However, I was not surprised when I found out about my friend.

You seem to be informed about the theological aspect of the sin, and you also don't appear to be judging your friend for it. For that, I think you deserve a lot of respect.

In my opinion, in caring for your friend, I would say your ultimate goal is to help him find genuine faith in Jesus. Everyone sins, yet those who believe and repent can find salvation and kingdom of God. So I guess what I'm saying is, I think your priority should be to help him become a Christian, not to make him straight. It is unlikely for him to become straight, then become a Christian. However, if he finds Christ first, anything is possible. Try not to initially focus on sin. Repentance often comes after redemption.

If you continue to be positive, friendly, and a good example of a Christian, I would say your situation has a better chance of working out.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
+
✟21,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Dont worry about trying to bring it up to him. He will tell you whenever he is ready. Just straight up tell him that you care about him and no matter what that you always will...no need to go further than that. You keep your focus on Jesus and pray for guidance, pray for Him to use you. HE will! I love what harvest said...
I think your priority should be to help him become a Christian, not to make him straight. It is unlikely for him to become straight, then become a Christian. However, if he finds Christ first, anything is possible.
Hope that helped somewhat...I think what youre doing is great and that your heart is in the right place...keep us updated!

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
+
✟21,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also, patience is a virtue... dont get sad or frustrated. Trust in Him that His plan will bear fruit, changes wont occur overnight and who knows, you yourself may never even see the changes. All you can do is do your part and only you and Him will know what that is, maybe even only Him!

Upvote 0

tfosriA

Apr 2, 2016
U.S.A.
✟15,290.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't think we should really worry about all the hatred towards homosexuality and things of that nature. If god truly loves us, and understands, he won't care. Long as we don't hurt anyone. I'd just treat them like you've always treated them, as a friend.

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl5

Mar 27, 2016
U.S.
✟7,628.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Thanks guys! He's been being weird lately because he's in a long distance relationship with a guy he met online (again I found this out from others) and he isolates himself and I feel like this relationship is super unhealthy but I can't say anything cause I'm not supposed to know. I've been praying for him. From what I understand he's on the fence about being gay and this guy is encouraging him and it's making him resistant to God...he used to be sorta open to Him but now he keeps posting stuff online saying that God isn't good and stuff. I have a feeling it's gonna take a heartbreak or other disaster for him to be open to God again. Sometimes I feel like I'm not meant to help him find God but yet I don't wanna give up. (sigh)

Upvote 0

JeffofGallifrey

Dec 26, 2015
USA
✟20,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Try to spend time with him. If he's in a stressful situation, he needs his friends.
From what I understand he's on the fence about being gay and this guy is encouraging him and it's making him resistant to God...he used to be sorta open to Him but now he keeps posting stuff online saying that God isn't good and stuff.
So... I don't know him in person, but I don't think that's what's going on. First, people are gay or they aren't, his friend isn't "making him gay." It sounds to me like your friend is finally realizing he is gay. Also, most gay people get really depressed around the time they realize they're gay and before they come out. If he's posting stuff about God not being good, that probably means he's depressed. What you see as him being "resistant to God" is him loosing the belief that God cares about him.

I'm not sure why he's depressed. It could be because his feelings for this guy conflict with his beliefs. It could also be because he's scared that his friends and family won't accept him. It could also be that he feels alone because nobody knows what is going on in his life.

What this means is that he really needs your friendship right now. You probably see homosexuality as a sin, but this isn't a good time to mention that. He's probably heard that homosexuality is sinful before, and hearing it from you would push him away and make his faith crisis worse. I think your friend needs cheered up: Do the things that you two love to do together, and try to be understanding if he does bring up what's going on. If he doesn't... that's okay. He might not be ready, and it often takes people a while to open up about things like that.

As far as helping him find God, the best thing you can do is show him that there's good in the world and that God cares about his struggles. That is a much more important part of Christianity than the "don't have gay sex" part.

And don't give up on him. He sounds like a great guy who probably really needs you.

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The reality is the homosexual subculture pushes the idea that a gay person's identity is totally wrapped up in their sexuality. It's not much different than people who embrace the drug subculture or the club subculture or the hook-up culture (all of which are sinful in God's eyes).

When someone receives Jesus as their Savior, they cast aside all worldly identities for the one that brings truth and life: As a son or daughter of God.

Moreover, God's standards of conduct are not prohibitive, they are actually liberating in that we are no longer slaves to sin, lies, and our fleshly desires.

Whether or not this person is willing to embrace any of this is unclear.

What is clear is that you do not have solid Christians around you in your present setting and that's a problem because the world is now infiltrating you.

Do not presume God put these people in your life, it may well be the devil at work in order to draw you away from God. Be wise, find some solid Christians with solid theology to develop godly friendships where you're at.

Also, steer clear of some of these charismatic/pentecostals hooked into the Ihop KC or Bethel movements. They are off the rails doctrinally, though they will appear to be godly people outwardly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

followthestar

Dec 4, 2015
Australia
✟7,959.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Wait, what's wrong with the Pentecostals IHOP (like the pancake place or prayer thing?)

Anyway, all I can say is pray for him. I don't believe that being homosexual is a sin but tell him that being gay is not all he's meant to be, especially if he's a Christian, because he is a son of God. It's not his whole identity, and please don't shun him.

I'm not too good at advice, sorry.

Upvote 0

JeffofGallifrey

Dec 26, 2015
USA
✟20,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
tell him that being gay is not all he's meant to be, especially if he's a Christian, because he is a son of God. It's not his whole identity, and please don't shun him.
This. Very well said. The OP and her friend both need to keep in mind that being gay isn't this guy's entire identity. Don't let him become "the gay friend" or "a gay guy" - he's still the same person he was before anyone knew this.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Anyway I have a guy friend who's not Christian and he's become like my little brother. But recently I found out he's gay (he hasn't told me directly, I just found out from other sources).
Thanks guys! He's been being weird lately because he's in a long distance relationship with a guy he met online (again I found this out from others) and he isolates himself and I feel like this relationship is super unhealthy but I can't say anything cause I'm not supposed to know.
I'm very hesitant to say that you should do anything (besides keep being a friend to him) when none of this information has been offered to you by him. You seem to already be jumping to conclusions based on things you heard from a third party.

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Keep being his friend. I doubt you follow the scripture that commands you not eat shellfish, wear clothes of different fibres, or plant different plants in the same garden. In your religion, all these things are just as sinful as being gay.
Yeah, just like murder, like totally!
So, we shouldn't judge murders.
Because that's insensitive, and hurts peoples feelings.

But seriously,
Being a homosexual is a sin.
Engaging in homosexuality is wrong. It's not okay for two men to commit acts of sodomy. Why would any Christian be okay with sodomy?

As for celibate Christians with a disorder that causes them to think the same sex is attractive, but they deny themselves, that's a different story. I have no beef with that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
May 14, 2016
Canada
✟7,692.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, just like murder, like totally!
So, we shouldn't judge murders.
Because that's insensitive, and hurts peoples feelings.

But seriously,
Being a homosexual is a sin.
Engaging in homosexuality is wrong. It's not okay for two men to commit acts of sodomy. Why would any Christian be okay with sodomy?

As for celibate Christians with a disorder that causes them to think the same sex is attractive, but they deny themselves, that's a different story. I have no beef with that.

Murder: violently taking the life of another and destroying the lives of that person's family and friends forever
Homosexuality: consenting adults doing what they want in the bedroom

How are these equal? Your God also calls eating lobster and all shellfish an abomination, just as much as homosexuality. Wearing clothes of different fibres, sowing different seeds in the same field, all an abomination. Do you follow those rules, or just the rules that allow you hate others with ease?

"Sodomy" also refers to oral sex as well as anal sex. How many straight Christians have engaged in oral sex? Probably all of them.

Also homosexuality is not a disorder, has not been considered one since the 1970s. People who are gay and "deny themselves" are actually more likely to suffer real disorders, such as anxiety and depression, substance abuse, and have a higher risk of suicide. You're okay with that? How Christian of you.

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Murder: violently taking the life of another and destroying the lives of that person's family and friends forever

How are these equal? Your God also calls eating lobster and all shellfish an abomination, just as much as homosexuality. Wearing clothes of different fibres, sowing different seeds in the same field, all an abomination. Do you follow those rules, or just the rules that allow you hate others with ease?

"Sodomy" also refers to oral sex as well as anal sex. How many straight Christians have engaged in oral sex? Probably all of them.

Also homosexuality is not a disorder, has not been considered one since the 1970s. People who are gay and "deny themselves" are actually more likely to suffer real disorders, such as anxiety and depression, substance abuse, and have a higher risk of suicide. You're okay with that? How Christian of you.
Ad hominem fallacy detected.
Red herring fallacy detected.

Christians suffering from same-sex attraction disorder only have to deny themselves just as much as a straight person who remains celibate. Celibacy is practical, and in and of itself, perfectly fine.

Upvote 0

newlightseven

In the confessional
Site Supporter
May 21, 2016
North Carolina
Visit site
✟46,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
the bible says the prayers of the righteous availeth much. I would pray to God on his behalf... and i love that you recognized that we all are sinners and stand in need of Jesus not just gays but everyone. We are righteous because we believe in Jesus and his finished work.. so maybe try watching the passion of the christ with him something that will lead him to Jesus

Upvote 0
May 14, 2016
Canada
✟7,692.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Ad hominem fallacy detected.
Red herring fallacy detected.

Christians suffering from same-sex attraction disorder only have to deny themselves just as much as a straight person who remains celibate. Celibacy is practical, and in and of itself, perfectly fine.

Where is there either of those fallacies? If you really saw them in my post, perhaps you'd like to point them out? Is it ad hominem to point out the absurdity of your argument?

There's no such thing as "same sex attraction disorder". I can make up disorders too, "Christian belief disorder". "Bible Thumper Disorder". There's not a single credible psychiatric association that would consider homosexuality to be any sort of disorder.

I don't know what type of sad world you live in, but celibacy is definitely not practical. It's fine if you want to miss out on some of the best parts of life, but not practical.

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where is there either of those fallacies? If you really saw them in my post, perhaps you'd like to point them out? Is it ad hominem to point out the absurdity of your argument?
I'll gladly point them out. It's not ad hominem to point out supposed absurdity, but rather attacking the person instead of the actual argument is what is considered ad hom.

Totally irrelevant, there are your red herrings, statements which distract from an actual flow of an argument.
Whether or not it's a sin to eat lobster has nothing to do with whether it's a sin to commit acts of homosexuality. Fallacy of relevance.

Secondly, when you say "Your God also calls eating lobster and all shellfish an abomination, just as much as homosexuality", are you suggesting that there is a god who actually has said these things, or that the belief I have about said god says such and such? If the former, then we ought to obey said god, being real. If the later, why should you care, it's not your religion. Additionally, are we supposed to believe we should stay away from shellfish because it's as bad as homosexuality, or are you telling us since it's no big deal to eat shellfish, we should also think homosexuality is no big deal? You haven't made a theological case either way, and I'm convinced that the "kosher" laws were meant for a specific time period for a specific people (Ancient Israel). You're free to debate that issue, but such is a side issue and is not relevant to the question at hand. I'll justifiably maintain my position which I've already explained.

Your description of homosexuality fails to mention that homosexual acts are always outside of marriage. Since it's a sin for two unmarried straight people to have sex, it's also a sin for gays to do the exact same thing.
Are you trying to say it's not a sin to fornicate? It clearly is according to my own religion. Furthermore, do you at least think that gays should only have one partner, or do you think that gays can have multiple partners at the same time?

The last statement seems to be at least implicitly an ad hom. It looks like a form of character assassination. Attempting to portray me as an uncaring person who doesn't mind if gays commit suicide through an attempt at denying themselves.
Also notice that you stated that homosexuality hasn't been considered a disorder since the 1970's. You need to qualify that statement, as you're not mentioned who exactly has stopped considering it a disorder. People, and organizations whose views you personally favor, do not consider homosexuality a disorder. That doesn't say anything about the views of people and organizations I deem as reliable.

There's no such thing as "same sex attraction disorder". I can make up disorders too, "Christian belief disorder". "Bible Thumper Disorder". There's not a single credible psychiatric association that would consider homosexuality to be any sort of disorder.
What do you consider "credible"? Additionally, both the APA, and World Health Organization, at least in the past had backed my view of this. As far as I'm considered both organizations are biased, having been subjected to the sways of popular opinion. As such, I'm convinced that appealing to such organizations is unreliable. Pedophilia isn't considered a mental disorder by the same organizations we commonly know of.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/01/dsm-pedophilia-mental-disorder-paraphilia_n_4184878.html
According to the same website, the APA has had multiple changing views on the matters discussed. If you're not a temporal chauvinist then why not look at DSM 1, in which homosexuality is categorized as a disorder.
However, this is just a side issue. I don't hold to high esteem the determinations of the APA in all that they do, nor do I regard their decisions are bearing any weight as to whether something is immoral. Modern psychology isn't considered with morality.

I don't know what type of sad world you live in, but celibacy is definitely not practical. It's fine if you want to miss out on some of the best parts of life, but not practical.
Celibacy is practical. Not everyone is a sex obsessed hippy. People can, and do live happy, content lives, without sex. The best parts of life can be found in platonic friendship, and brotherhood, as well as helping others through good deeds. People don't need sex to be happy. To think otherwise, is quite sad.

Upvote 0