How should we respond to Justin Peters' challenge to modern prophets?

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well identifying false prophets and warning Christians about them can lead to the salvation of souls, because false prophets do lead the faithful astray.
That should still come second. If it were me, I'd say something like,

"Mission:

1. To see souls saved and come to repentance through the teaching of God's Word.
2. To call out blatantly false teaching and show the clear instruction of God's Word."

I've not seen one clip from any heresy hunter out there who has actually given a good salvation message personally. Granted, I also haven't looked but everything I've ever seen shared by them has always had to do with calling out teachings that they deem as false but that, typically, have no real bearing on salvation. Moreso, I've never even seen one of them call out the actual wolves in sheep's clothing, those who claim that sin is ok and that everyone goes to heaven. They're too busy speaking for cessationism and reformed doctrine.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I've not seen one clip from any heresy hunter out there who has actually given a good salvation message personally.

Well I think the Very Rev. Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick, an Archpriest in the Antiochian Orthodox Church and pastor emeritus of St. Paul’s Antiochian Orthodox Church in Emmaus, Pennsylvania, Dr. James Kennedy of blessed memory (reposed 2007) the late pastor of Coral Ridge, and Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, who all are known for heresiology, or “heresy-hunting” as you call it, certainly meet your criteria. Importantly, of those three I would suspect only Dr. Kennedy was a cessationist per se, and his heresiology was entirely directed against non-Nicene churches such as Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Science, Mormonism, Unitarianism, and so on.

For that matter, if we go back to the early church, St. Irenaeus the bishop of Milan, who wrote Against Heresies, St. Epiphanius the bishop of Salamis, who wrote the Panarion (“Medicine chest” or “First-aid kit”) an expanded follow-on to address Arianism, Manichaeanism and other new heresies which popped up between the repose of St. Irenaeus in the second century and the late fourth century, when Epiphanius became bishop, and then in the eighth century, St. John of Damascus, who in turn combined the epitomes written about specific heresies by St. Epiphanius with profiles of new heresies to emerge in the previous 400 years, such as Nestorianism, Monothelitism, Islam, etc, into his Fount of Knowledge, which was a broad ranging work. Like St. Irenaeus and St. Epiphanius, who concluded their catalogues of ancient heresies (which always explained why the beliefs of groups like the Alogi or the Marcionites or the Eunomians were heretical) with a section discussing the true faith, St. John of Damascus did this as well, however, he is better remembered for that work, An Exact Exposition of The Orthodox Faith, which I personally prefer to subsequent formidable works of systematic theology such as the Summa Theologica of Aquinas, the Institutes of Calvin and the Kirchlich Dogmatik of Karl Barth, although perhaps my preference is for, as a genre, more compact works which are arguably dogmatic theology but not systematic theology. For instance, Orthodox Dogmatic Theology by Protopresbyter Michael Pomazansky, The Orthodox Church and The Orthodox Way by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, and Mere Christianity by CS Lewis, which is interesting in that it represents the finest specimen of an ecumenical and catechetical work of dogmatic theology.

Upvote 0

black-pawn

Nov 24, 2022
Woodhaven
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
interesting, has he said anymore to you?
I myself have had times when the Lord has spoken to me. but it is never on the level that these guy talk about.
The Lord speaks about my personal issues (mostly about deep-seated rejection from my childhood), He corrects me, and leads me in the way of truth. In the area of dreams and visions of the night, he has spoken to me about my personal life among other things that I can't share today because they haven't come to pass yet. Future events (generally speaking) are never part of God's revelation. He has taught me His word which mostly contradicts the futuristic teachings of today.

I have learned much through the teachings of Malcolm Smith since 1984 which has taught me to understand the true heart of God where the Lord Yeshua is at the center of it all. One sample of his free webinars is found at

Blessings,

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟380,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Lord speaks about my personal issues (mostly about deep-seated rejection from my childhood), He corrects me, and leads me in the way of truth. In the area of dreams and visions of the night, he has spoken to me about my personal life among other things that I can't share today because they haven't come to pass yet. Future events (generally speaking) are never part of God's revelation. He has taught me His word which mostly contradicts the futuristic teachings of today.

I have learned much through the teachings of Malcolm Smith since 1984 which has taught me to understand the true heart of God where the Lord Yeshua is at the center of it all. One sample of his free webinars is found at

Blessings,
I too have had the Lord speak to me about personal issues but sometimes he talks about other people's issues and sometimes he speaks to me about the Future. My personal future but occasionally global events. When the war in Syria broke out I can distinctly remember the Lord saying to me I will send somebody to strengthen him. Referring to the Syrian president. The attack I believe was a fulfillment of Daniel 11: 42, 43. Where he talks about eating Moab and the chief sons of Ammon escaping. I believe that whole section from 40 to 45 is symbolic and refers to the spirit behind the players being mentioned in those passages.

Upvote 0

black-pawn

Nov 24, 2022
Woodhaven
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I too have had the Lord speak to me about personal issues but sometimes he talks about other people's issues and sometimes he speaks to me about the Future. My personal future but occasionally global events. When the war in Syria broke out I can distinctly remember the Lord saying to me I will send somebody to strengthen him. Referring to the Syrian president. The attack I believe was a fulfillment of Daniel 11: 42, 43. Where he talks about eating Moab and the chief sons of Ammon escaping. I believe that whole section from 40 to 45 is symbolic and refers to the spirit behind the players being mentioned in those passages.
Care to give me an example as to how he speaks to you about the future (global events)? I say this with tongue in cheek, but I don't believe God is interested in telling what will happen in the future, especially when we heavily rely on the futuristic beliefs of Daniel and Revelation, which by the way, have been taken totally out of context for lack of correct biblical interpretation.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟380,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Care to give me an example as to how he speaks to you about the future (global events)? I say this with tongue in cheek, but I don't believe God is interested in telling what will happen in the future, especially when we heavily rely on the futuristic beliefs of Daniel and Revelation, which by the way, have been taken totally out of context for lack of correct biblical interpretation.
When the war broke out in Afghanistan I was watching The towers fall on 9/11 the Lord clearly spoke to me and said this is how I'm going to open up the Middle East

Now it's to my own future when I was a senior in high school I was on a retreat with our class we went up to the church summer camp. We had some meditation time and I was studying the scripture and the passage I was reading stated "the woman may leave her sucking child I would never leave you forsake you before I've engraved you on the palms of my hand" or something like that. When I read the passage of scripture the part about your mother leaving you and forsaking you jumped out at me and the Lord spoke to me and said your mother is going to abandon you but don't worry I will never leave you forsake you"

These are just a couple of examples of how the Lord speaks to me. The global events are very rare. When talking about events of the future he always directs me to a passage of scripture first.

Upvote 0

black-pawn

Nov 24, 2022
Woodhaven
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When the war broke out in Afghanistan I was watching The towers fall on 9/11 the Lord clearly spoke to me and said this is how I'm going to open up the Middle East

Now it's to my own future when I was a senior in high school I was on a retreat with our class we went up to the church summer camp. We had some meditation time and I was studying the scripture and the passage I was reading stated "the woman may leave her sucking child I would never leave you forsake you before I've engraved you on the palms of my hand" or something like that. When I read the passage of scripture the part about your mother leaving you and forsaking you jumped out at me and the Lord spoke to me and said your mother is going to abandon you but don't worry I will never leave you forsake you"

These are just a couple of examples of how the Lord speaks to me. The global events are very rare. When talking about events of the future he always directs me to a passage of scripture first.
OK. Did your mother abandon you? At what age did she leave you, and how old are you now?

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟380,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
21 she turned her back on her family. It wasn't like I was a child but it was kind of a jolting experience. You come home one day and now you have no family. It was nice to know that God was looking out for me to wear the situation was very helpful

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That should still come second. If it were me, I'd say something like,

"Mission:

1. To see souls saved and come to repentance through the teaching of God's Word.
2. To call out blatantly false teaching and show the clear instruction of God's Word."

I've not seen one clip from any heresy hunter out there who has actually given a good salvation message personally. Granted, I also haven't looked but everything I've ever seen shared by them has always had to do with calling out teachings that they deem as false but that, typically, have no real bearing on salvation. Moreso, I've never even seen one of them call out the actual wolves in sheep's clothing, those who claim that sin is ok and that everyone goes to heaven. They're too busy speaking for cessationism and reformed doctrine.

The only salvation message there is is "Jesus Christ died for you." It's just the Gospel: "God did this, trust it."

It's the problem of false teachers and false prophets that obfuscates and hinders the preaching of the Gospel.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

black-pawn

Nov 24, 2022
Woodhaven
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The only salvation message there is is "Jesus Christ died for you." It's just the Gospel: "God did this, trust it."

It's the problem of false teachers and false prophets that obfuscates and hinders the preaching of the Gospel.

-CryptoLutheran
A better way of putting it would be "Jesus Christ rose from the dead for you." Without His resurrection, His death on the cross would have meant little. The resurrection of the dead changes everything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
A better way of putting it would be "Jesus Christ rose from the dead for you." Without His resurrection, His death on the cross would have meant little. The resurrection of the dead changes everything.

It's not a competition. It's His perfect life, His suffering, death, resurrection, ascension, and His coming again on the Last Day. The message of the cross encapsulates all of that.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

black-pawn

Nov 24, 2022
Woodhaven
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's not a competition. It's His perfect life, His suffering, death, resurrection, ascension, and His coming again on the Last Day. The message of the cross encapsulates all of that.

-CryptoLutheran
No one is competing with anybody; I was just making a suggestion. Saying "Jesus died for you" sounds like a buzzword that does nothing for the hearer because it won't mean a thing to him since Jesus died 2,000 years ago.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
No one is competing with anybody; I was just making a suggestion. Saying "Jesus died for you" sounds like a buzzword that does nothing for the hearer because it won't mean a thing to him since Jesus died 2,000 years ago.

My apologies, I didn't mean competing with anyone. I meant that there's no competition between the Lord's death and His resurrection. The Good News is what God has done for us already, and He gives it to us through faith which He Himself works in us. My point was that it's not up to us to come up with a sales pitch for Jesus, but rather to simply say what God has done for us. God gives and works faith, that is the living power of the Gospel.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: black-pawn
Upvote 0