How should men leave their parents to cling to their wife?

BugzNelson

Jun 27, 2022
LA
✟15,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I am engaged and will be getting married this October. I love my fiance, he is a sweetheart and a faithful Christian. However, he's has little life experience and it has begun to stress both of us out as we near our wedding day.

My fiance's parents are two strong type-A personalities, "do-ers" as they call themselves. They've worked hard their entire lives and have spared no expense for their children--its actually quite sweet, but unfortunately it has it's draw backs. My fiance went 27 years without responsibility. When we were first dating, I didn't quite realize how dependent on his parents he was, and I don't just mean financially. His parents want him to "never worry about anything" and structured his life so he could essentially eat, sleep and play video games all day. Thankfully, my fiance has no intention of doing so, but he struggles to enact his own self-discipline. When I first moved in with them, I realized his mother still did everything for him like he was a child. His father handled all expenses and gave my fiance a handsome allowance.

I was the initial game changer in all this because I've lived independently for several years before I met my fiance. When I moved into his parents house, I remember discussing with his mother that she needs to let us carry our own weight or she will forever have adult children. I know without a doubt she wants us to grow, but I can tell she can't stand to watch us struggle and so often intervenes. His father wants to handle it all. He would prefer that we forever live (very comfortably, mind you) as children in his kingdom. However, I'm not comfortable with that for a couple reasons. First, living with my fiance's parents is a strenuous trial of discipline. Learning to work hard when you're struggling through life is difficult. Learning to work hard when you have the ever temptation to sit around and watch TV or play video games all day while two loving parents handle all the responsibilities is SOOO much harder. There is seemingly no point to your struggles, so why are you bothering? Secondly, whenever my fiance and I take on an ambition or challenge that we are struggling through, his parents take our struggle on themselves and we feel guilty for it. Don't get me wrong, they mean well by it, but there's a lot of "why are stressing about trying to start your own business? We worked so hard our entire lives so you don't have to. You should just be having fun."

Lastly, the fact that my fiance cannot independently provide for us weighs on both of us. It worries me when I think of having kids. As the mother, I'll need to depend on someone, but it won't be my future husband. It will be his parents. And since I can see us having harsh disagreements with his parents on parenting, I'm particularly fearful of being dependent on them while raising kids. The whole situation screams family feud. And it's not just about fiances. Luxury and ease does not make one emotionally resilient. And that makes it hard for us to respect ourselves or each other.

But my future husband makes a good point, if we choose to live on our own now, we won't have the finances to provide for our kids. We have to build something up while under his parent's roof to make something for ourselves and our kids.
I don't know what is right in this kind of situation. Are we being ungrateful to his parents or is their generosity enabling us to become irresponsible adults? Does the Bible have any guidance on how to fulfill Genesis 2:24. How should a man leave his father and mother and cling to his wife if the man is dependent on his father and mother who are strong, loving, control freaks.

Last edited:

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
You're marrying a kept man and up until this point he enjoyed it and maintained his position. The fact that he's getting an allowance and approaching 30 should tell you something. If he wanted independence he'd have it. But he's comfortable letting them handle things and free him from responsibility. That's your problem. Not his parents. They can only do what he permits.

Now you're beholden. If you don't want to be under their thumb you must be willing to do without and he needs to grow up. Otherwise, they'll always have a say because you're dependent. You can't complain if they're providing and he's unable to.

Given their comments you should be able to discern the differences in their mindset and yours and what it means for your children if you rely on their help. They'll treat them the same.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But my future husband makes a good point, if we choose to live on our own now, we won't have the finances to provide for our kids.

Ask him one question.
If he cannot provide for his wife and children why is he getting married?

Move out into your place, and he moves out into his place. From there you prepare for marriage.

If you are going to stay at his parrents both of you need to have a common approach to both his parrents
I would suggest that there are no financial payments from them ( they put it into savings for grandchildren )
That you both pay a commercial rent and have set chores.
That you together start attending and being actively involved in a different church.
Start work to get him a better job.

You are going to have a tough fight so start with getting him singing from your hymn sheet.

Upvote 0