Texas
✟9,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My boyfriend and I are discussing getting married in 1-2 years (we just wanna wait till bf is done with school) and a friend was saying we should go ahead and start saving now cause it will be crazy expensive. I looked it up, the average is like $25,000 :aarh: yikes!

Just curious, how much did you/are you planning on spending on your wedding?

JojotheBeloved

Part of the Family
Apr 18, 2014
✟8,622.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Some people spend that much. Others don't. It depends on what's important to you. My sister paid around $6,000 for her entire wedding. My budget is maxed at $3,000 for mine. I've known a few people who had a small intimate wedding ceremony and potluck reception for less than $1,000. It's all dependent on what's important to you and how many people you want to invite to party with you.

Upvote 0

citizenthom

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.
Nov 10, 2009
✟12,912.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The "average" American is in a butt-ton of debt for pointless expenses. Don't follow that model. Plan for what you want, don't waste money appeasing selfish guests, limit the guest list, and keep it to four figures at the most.

• Agree
Reactions: joyfullyobey
Upvote 0

Moonrise Lu

Jul 23, 2014
Texas
✟9,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just got engaged! :love2: I forgot I posted this question until today lol. Well we should have at least $2,700 in our budget by the earliest we would get married, and the ~fiance~ will be working more this summer as he's got the break from school and said he should be able to put extra into our savings for it during this time, so it'll probably be $3,000+. Honestly the most important to me is having pretty dress and good photographer... the other stuff I don't think I will be as picky about lol.

Thanks guys, I am glad to see there are others who had cheaper weddings, I'm also finding quite a few blogs that show how they budgeted in this range, so I know we can do it :)

Reactions: joyfullyobey
Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟208,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I got married 25 years ago and we spent $625. Included in the $625.00 was the license, preacher, decorations, photography and invitations. We had the wedding and reception at my in laws house. My sister is a master at making cakes and made our wedding cake. My BIL took the photos. For many reasons, we spent our honeymoon at our new home and had a great time!

We decided to plan for our marriage and our future financial security, not some huge, pointlessly expensive wedding that would just cause financial strain our new marriage. I have never once regretted that choice and I would do it again in a heart beat. The marriage is far more important than the wedding.

Upvote 0

Velvetyrabbit

Jul 9, 2015
✟15,195.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
My fiancé comes from a very large family which will all have to travel to come to our wedding, and I have a lot of cousins and we both have a lot of friends. We plan to spend less than $6,000. I bought a vintage dress from 1941 for $160, his suit will be about $300 because it will need to be heavily tailored. We plan on buying a house and having the marriage there, so our first memory is our marriage at the home we will raise our family in. And it will help out his family who will be able to stay in the house or camp in the back yard. The main expenses are food and drinks, we plan on grilling a deer and a pig which are cheaper as a whole than chicken or steak.
I would just talk to your fiancée about which parts are important to him. To us we want a very short ceremony so we can spend as much time together and with our friends and family as possible. Food and music are the two most important to us

Upvote 0