Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It’s day four of our 10-day honeymoon, and I’m sitting by a little gas fire, alone.

My fiancé—no, husband, I remind myself—is fast asleep in the middle of the afternoon. He came down sick right after our wedding a few days ago, and though I want to somehow make him better, my excited chatter and restless limbs won’t do him much good. So, I tuck him into bed with a kiss on the forehead and go pour myself a glass of wine.

Matt and I have been looking forward to our honeymoon for weeks. A chance for us to get away together, have a break from the crazy pace of the last few months, get to know each other in a *cough* new way, and have an adventure of a lifetime. But this trip is not quite what I hoped it would be.

The sun is setting, and I’m left wondering what we’ll do for dinner; we’d planned to go out somewhere special, but with Matt sick in bed, we’re bound for a night in. With no phone reception and the nearest grocery store at least a 40-minute drive away through dark country roads, we’ll have to make do with our leftovers from breakfast—a half-eaten sourdough and a packet of spinach.

I didn’t think it would be like this

Continued below.