How many people could land support?

Waymarker

May 5, 2009
✟19,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
May want to have Plan b and c in place. We've been in 3 disasters. The last one lasted almost a month. One result was experienced linemen commented about how many deer were on the ground and it took years for them to come back.

What killed the deer?
As for linemen, they'll be few and far between in a post-apoc world and we'll have to learn to live without electricity.
Here at the Survivors 1975 group's Hall, the only clue that there's no electricity are the paraffin lamps but they've adapted well and are having a jolly after-supper singsong, perhaps they're glad they don't have to go to work tomorrow because the old world has gone forever and doesn't matter any more..:)-

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I skimmed through the thread so if I missed this point, forgive me, but one thing I didn't see was type of soil and climate. This makes a huge difference in what you can produce. When I saw the 1 acre plot with a picture of two little cows on it, I knew that whoever drew up the picture most-likely didn't know what they were talking about.

I live in a very fertile 'cattle-country', and you need about 1 acre per cow to feed them. If you have Dexters you might be able to get away with 1/2 an acre, but that's just to graze them. You still need to produce their hay. And that's just in well-watered areas. When you head out to the mid-west in America like the Dakotas, you need probably 40 or 50 acres for a single cow.

There's no single picture that can predict your needs because where you are determines what you can grow and how much you can grow. I'm in a fertile area and for a family of 4-6 (assuming my brother and his wife is here), 20 acres should do nicely. But in an apocalyptic setting, new boundaries will be made and new land quests will be made. So you're faced with either two things: 1.) with the absence of people, room to spread or 2.) with an abundance of destitute people, people encroaching on your land and a need to defend your fort.

Upvote 0