How long after divorce did you or your ex-spouse start dating?

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My divorce was started in June of 2013 and ended on November 22nd 2013. Was married since November 5th, 1993. I didn't start dating again until Summer of 2016.

My ex remarried November 23rd, 2013... She had been seeing someone, apparently, before the divorce was agreed upon...

Just wondering what other folks' experiences were with dating after divorce...

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I started going on a lot of meetups during my divorce. A few dates. I knew what went wrong in my marriage and wanted to work on that issue. We hadn't communicated very well. I figured I needed to be seeing people to have serious talks with to practice communicating what I wanted and what I thought about things.
I then got on a dating site and the 1st date I had lead to a relationship that lasted 4 years. In that time I learned more things about myself and what I wanted that lead to us ending our romantic relationship and have not been friends for 5 yrs.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,496.00
Faith
Christian
My divorce was started in June of 2013 and ended on November 22nd 2013. Was married since November 5th, 1993. I didn't start dating again until Summer of 2016.

My ex remarried November 23rd, 2013... She had been seeing someone, apparently, before the divorce was agreed upon...

Just wondering what other folks' experiences were with dating after divorce...

In my opinion I would think you'd have to wait for her to die. Here's some supporting evidence:

Rom 7:2,3 "By law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage. So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress, even though she marries another man."

Mk 10:11 "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her."

1Cor 7:10,11 "A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife."

1Cor 7:39 "A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives."

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
We divorced in May of 2008. He always had other girlfriends throughout our marriage. Getting divorced just meant he didn't have to hide it. In summer of 2009 he had a live-in girlfriend who was pregnant with his child, but she was married to another man. After several years of living together she got divorced and then they got married.

I started talking to men on the internet as friends while we were separated and heading toward divorce. This one guy tried to rush me into a deep a relationship. I broke things off with him. During the summer after our divorce was final I started seriously seeking someone else, but almost all of it was online strictly. I went out on three dates with three different men during the first two years after the divorce, and have not spent face to face time with a man in that context since then. Honestly I'm too tired and stressed to do anything besides talk. I need someone who will join me in my life and just be with me. I don't have the strength, energy, or desire to get caught up in dating and the excitement of new romance. I have boys to raise, a job to work, and bills to pay.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
In my opinion I would think you'd have to wait for her to die. Here's some supporting evidence:

Rom 7:2,3 "By law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage. So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress, even though she marries another man."
Mk 10:11 "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her."
1Cor 7:10,11 "A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife."
1Cor 7:39 "A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives."

Most Bible scholars don't agree with this interpretation of divorce. The situation that Jesus was asked to comment about divorce in his day was men were sending their wives away without giving them a bill or divorcement. This allowed them to not return their dowry to the woman usually leaving her destitute. The Jewish bill of divorcement stated that the woman was free to marry whoever she wanted to marry. But she was sent away without this legal document that Moses said men where to give their wife when they divorced them.
In Rom.7 Paul is talking about the law. Paul is saying the Jews where under the law of Moses like a wife is under the law of her husband as long as his is alive. Since the law is perfect there would never be a reason to separate from the law. Paul asks this question in Rom.7:1 Do you not know, brothers and sisters—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law has authority over someone only as long as that person lives? Paul used marriage to illustrate the Jew's relationship to the law. They are bound to it as long as the Law lives just as a wife is bound to her husband. Rom.7:4 So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. Which Christ's death we are freed from the law. Again since the law is perfect there was no way the Law was going to break the covenant and provide a way from the marriage to end by breaking the covenant. So death was the only possible way. The law provided for a divorce in marriage and the bill of divorce stated the woman would remarry. Neither Jesus or the apostles say anything to change that.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,496.00
Faith
Christian
Most Bible scholars don't agree with this interpretation of divorce. The situation that Jesus was asked to comment about divorce in his day was men were sending their wives away without giving them a bill or divorcement. This allowed them to not return their dowry to the woman usually leaving her destitute. The Jewish bill of divorcement stated that the woman was free to marry whoever she wanted to marry. But she was sent away without this legal document that Moses said men where to give their wife when they divorced them.
In Rom.7 Paul is talking about the law. Paul is saying the Jews where under the law of Moses like a wife is under the law of her husband as long as his is alive. Since the law is perfect there would never be a reason to separate from the law. Paul asks this question in Rom.7:1 Do you not know, brothers and sisters—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law has authority over someone only as long as that person lives? Paul used marriage to illustrate the Jew's relationship to the law. They are bound to it as long as the Law lives just as a wife is bound to her husband. Rom.7:4 So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. Which Christ's death we are freed from the law. Again since the law is perfect there was no way the Law was going to break the covenant and provide a way from the marriage to end by breaking the covenant. So death was the only possible way. The law provided for a divorce in marriage and the bill of divorce stated the woman would remarry. Neither Jesus or the apostles say anything to change that.

Jesus said that he who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery.

You say that he who divorces his wife and marries another does not commit adultery.

Paul says that a woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. (And yes he applies this to Christians 1Cor 7:39 who are not under the Jewish law)

You say that a woman is bound to her husband as long as they are not divorced.

Guess who I'm going with. Most Bible scholars who agree with the Bible agree with me.

Upvote 0

Khalliqa

Sep 30, 2006
✟28,944.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
After eleven years of marriage, I divorced in 2007. I went into my then religious community and received a boatload of proposals. I chose the wrong guy for me to date a year after my divorce.. then a year after that was proposed to again by someone too young for me.. I finally got my bearings and remained celebate and realized I was just figuring out I was somewhat attractive (after marriage sometimes you can forget you have anything to offer it's been locked up and secure for so long to one person- meaning your attractive side). Didn't start dating again until 2015. Date went south.. but we remain friends.. shortly therafter met a wonderful man who I've been with coming upon two years now.

Upvote 0