Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why then do the Holy Angels and all the Hosts praise and worship The Almighty ceaselessly in Heaven? Revelation 7:9 Revelation 19:1 and Isaiah 6:3 ...Just as there is on earth as there is in Heaven! We know that we pattern these things here on earth as they are in Heaven....as it says in Exodus...praise, worship, incense, etc...we use all the senses for worship...touch, smell, see, taste, hear! That is Orthodox worship!
Yes there is praise and worship in heaven but I really dont think that scripture will be read in heaven ( or sung) scripture is to point us to Yahwey when in heaven we will not need scripture the Word of God will be there in front of us for all to see ( we will know even as we are known) . Also why would we need icons when those very people will be standing with us ? The reality is we have no way of knowing what our worship in heaven will look like , I wonder if there will be a whole new level of worship that will make what we do here seem petty . i do have a question for you when do you think the style or system of worship that is in place started because it is not what the original apostles did , i am sure they didnt put pictures of themselves up around the building they were in , that had to of come much later.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,475,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Also why would we need icons when those very people will be standing with us ?

we won’t then, because we will all be glorified with them. the icons will be them since we are after the Resurrection.
The reality is we have no way of knowing what our worship in heaven will look like , I wonder if there will be a whole new level of worship that will make what we do here seem petty .

there will be a whole deeper level, however, we do know what has been revealed to us by God. and that way of worship was also done by God Himself in the Incarnate Son.
i do have a question for you when do you think the style or system of worship that is in place started because it is not what the original apostles did , i am sure they didnt put pictures of themselves up around the building they were in , that had to of come much later.

no, but they did have images of angels. plus, 1st century synagogues have been found to be covered in images. and while iconography as we know it wasn’t right away, it also wasn’t much later. St Luke the evangelist made icons, a few of which we have or their copies.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes there is praise and worship in heaven but I really dont think that scripture will be read in heaven ( or sung) scripture is to point us to Yahwey when in heaven we will not need scripture the Word of God will be there in front of us for all to see ( we will know even as we are known) . Also why would we need icons when those very people will be standing with us ? The reality is we have no way of knowing what our worship in heaven will look like , I wonder if there will be a whole new level of worship that will make what we do here seem petty . i do have a question for you when do you think the style or system of worship that is in place started because it is not what the original apostles did , i am sure they didnt put pictures of themselves up around the building they were in , that had to of come much later.
It is said the first Icon was the Holy Shroud (now called the shroud of Turin) itself (you do know that was an Eastern Church relic?). Others say Luke painted an Icon of Mary. All of these things developed over time within the Church. Icons here now are called windows to Heaven. Will there be Icons in or needed in Heaven? Probably not since all of the Saints will be there with us. Orthodoxy is not the replacement of Judaism it is the continuation of it. There are concepts you do not understand regarding Orthodoxy. You should study regarding Pascha. Go to a Paschal midnight service. Understand it and the theology behind it. There are a cloud of witnesses with us as Paul said. We are there NOW.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,475,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is said the first Icon was the Holy Shroud (now called the shroud of Turin) itself (you do know that was an Eastern Church relic?). Others say Luke painted an Icon of Mary. All of these things developed over time within the Church. Icons here now are called windows to Heaven. Will there be Icons in or needed in Heaven? Probably not since all of the Saints will be there with us. Orthodoxy is not the replacement of Judaism it is the continuation of it. There are concepts you do not understand regarding Orthodoxy. You should study regarding Pascha. Go to a Paschal midnight service. Understand it and the theology behind it. There are a cloud of witnesses with us as Paul said. We are there NOW.
there’s also the Holy Napkin and the image from St Veronica.

Upvote 0

Jeff Saunders

May 1, 2022
Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we won’t then, because we will all be glorified with them. the icons will be them since we are after the Resurrection.

there will be a whole deeper level, however, we do know what has been revealed to us by God. and that way of worship was also done by God Himself in the Incarnate Son.

no, but they did have images of angels. plus, 1st century synagogues have been found to be covered in images. and while iconography as we know it wasn’t right away, it also wasn’t much later. St Luke the evangelist made icons, a few of which we have or their copies.
I was listening to a Orthodox priest today and he was talking about the very early use of icons much like what you just talked about. Thanks for the answer.

Upvote 0

Jeff Saunders

May 1, 2022
Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wish I could go to a service but there are no churches near me , and I still have trouble with the whole getting dressed up God looks at the heart man looks at the outward appearance. So for now I do listen to the services on the internet. But the more I study with the Orthodox priests the more I am drawn to their understanding of Yahweh and I feel they get Jesus better than most . Plus I believe in Apokatastasis and I find more of the old saint’s had that in their writing. But to be honest I do have trouble with the liturgical way of having church service, that maybe just something that would take time for me to appreciate. I am a Calvary Chapel kind of guy the praise and worship style that they do really touches deep and brings me to the very feet of Jesus. But in some ways it doesn’t matter for there are no Orthodox churches for me to go to anyway.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,190,284.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
and I still have trouble with the whole getting dressed up God looks at the heart man looks at the outward appearance
Dress codes would only be about modesty, ie. not wearing tight and revealing clothes so as not to potentially cause others to sin. I'm sure the woman doing prostrations in front of me felt very comfortable in her choice of clothing, but the fact that she was wearing a g-string under her long skirt made it very distracting for the man behind her who already struggled with temptations. A gym junkie wearing a muscle shirt might cause similar issues for women in the congregation.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I wish I could go to a service but there are no churches near me , and I still have trouble with the whole getting dressed up God looks at the heart man looks at the outward appearance. So for now I do listen to the services on the internet. But the more I study with the Orthodox priests the more I am drawn to their understanding of Yahweh and I feel they get Jesus better than most . Plus I believe in Apokatastasis and I find more of the old saint’s had that in their writing. But to be honest I do have trouble with the liturgical way of having church service, that maybe just something that would take time for me to appreciate. I am a Calvary Chapel kind of guy the praise and worship style that they do really touches deep and brings me to the very feet of Jesus. But in some ways it doesn’t matter for there are no Orthodox churches for me to go to anyway.
I don't know where you are in TN, but there are Churches across the State. Here is a list of OCA and Antiochian parishes: https://www.oca.org/parishes/state/TN and Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese I am sure there are others too, Greek, etc. As far as clothes, don't you feel like you want to feel you are the best dressed you can be when you are in the presence of the King of the Universe, just as a sign of respect. However, I have been to many different services, especially with Russian and Georgian immigrants, that just wear a t shirt and jeans. It is up to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeff Saunders

May 1, 2022
Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know where you are in TN, but there are Churches across the State. Here is a list of OCA and Antiochian parishes: https://www.oca.org/parishes/state/TN and Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese I am sure there are others too, Greek, etc. As far as clothes, don't you feel like you want to feel you are the best dressed you can be when you are in the presence of the King of the Universe, just as a sign of respect. However, I have been to many different services, especially with Russian and Georgian immigrants, that just wear a t shirt and jeans. It is up to you.
As far as being in my best dress in the presence of the King , I see myself as always in the presence of the King He resides in me alway so I don’t feel as if my corporate worship is any different than my Sunday worship, other than being modest I feel that Yahweh doesn’t care what we have on that’s what James was talking about when he said if a person comes into your meeting with shabby clothes and you say sit over there and a person having fine clothes comes in and you elevate them that is sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
that’s what James was talking about when he said if a person comes into your meeting with shabby clothes and you say sit over there and a person having fine clothes comes in and you elevate them that is sin.
Yeah that won't happen in an Orthodox church...now people looking funny at you may as in most public gatherings :)
However Matthew 22:1-14 does come to mind..

Last edited:
Upvote 0