www.abbafather.co
✟16,459.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have an honest questions about Colossians 1:18 regarding the head of the church:

Colossians 1:17: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
Colossians 1:18: And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
Colossians 1:19: For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;
Colossians 1:20: And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

It appears that God had put all things before Christ and since God has setup Christ at the beginning and made him the firstborn from the dead and that in all things Christ might have the preeminence, and that God was pleased to give Christ all the fulness to dwell, and reconcile all things unto himself, all things in earth and heaven. So since Christ has this preeminence, it seems quite Biblical that God has set Christ as the head of the Body and head of the world-wide Christian Church, therefore, I wish to understand what the Catholic's teach on Colossians 1:18: And he is the head of the body, the church?

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have an honest questions about Colossians 1:18 regarding the head of the church:

Colossians 1:18: And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
Colossians 1:19: For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;
Colossians 1:20: And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

It appears that God had put all things before Christ and since God has setup Christ at the beginning and made him the firstborn from the dead and that in all things Christ might have the preeminence, and that God was pleased to give Christ all the fulness to dwell, and reconcile all things unto himself, all things in earth and heaven. So since Christ has this preeminence, it seems quite Biblical that God has set Christ as the head of the Body and head of the world-wide Christian Church, therefore, I wish to understand what the Catholic's teach on Colossians 1:18: And he is the head of the body, the church?
Yes, the Catholics believe that Christ is the head of the Body, which is the Church. This is stated very clearly and unambiguously several times in their Catechism.

Also, despite popular opinion among anti-Catholics, the Pope is NOT a replacement for Christ.

Please note that you and I would likely disagree with the Catholics regarding a number of their doctrines regarding their Pope, and their ecclesiology (among other things). If you want to discuss these differences, they will probably be open to that, but you must respect that you are in their house. Treat them with respect and don't pretend to be some ultimate Biblical scholar, quoting passages out of context to prove your point. That's just disrespectful and will just get another one of your threads shut down.

Sure, Internet anonymity is a real aphrodisiac and stimulant... But these are real people you are dealing with, not faceless names on a computer screen. A little respect and maturity will go a long way.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

In the Old Testament, God led the people of God through Moses. God had no patience for anyone who did not listen to Moses. In the New Testament Jesus (God) put Peter in charge giving him the keys of authority, and the Pope is his successor. At the end of time when Christ returns, whoever is the current Pope will step down from his position and figuratively hand the keys back over to Christ.

Upvote 0

patrick68

Apr 19, 2012
✟7,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
=bibledoctrine;58552623]I have an honest questions about Colossians 1:18 regarding the head of the church:

My Dear friend in Christ;

It is my prayerful hope this answers your question? IF NOT please let me know.

“He [Jesus /God] said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And [God] I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock [SINGULAR] I [GOD] will build my church, [SINGULAR] and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I [GOD] will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

John 21: 17“He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" And he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep.”

Eph. 4: 1-7 “I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all lowliness and meekness, with patience, forbearing one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of us all, whois above all and through all and in all. But grace was given to each of us according to the measure of Christ's gift.

John 10: 16 “And Ihave other sheep, that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice. So there shall be one flock, one shepherd”

Eph. 2:19-20 “So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God,built uponthe foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; in whom you also are built into it for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.”

Eph. 3: 9-10 “And to make all men see what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things; that through the church [singular] the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places. This was according to the eternal purpose which he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord,”

God Bless you,
patrick68

Upvote 0

patrick68

Apr 19, 2012
✟7,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
=Protoevangel;58569108]Yes, the Catholics believe that Christ is the head of the Body, which is the Church. This is stated very clearly and unambiguously several times in their Catechism.

Also, despite popular opinion among anti-Catholics, the Pope is NOT a replacement for Christ.

Please note that you and I would likely disagree with the Catholics regarding a number of their doctrines regarding their Pope, and their ecclesiology (among other things). If you want to discuss these differences, they will probably be open to that, but you must respect that you are in their house. Treat them with respect and don't pretend to be some ultimate Biblical scholar, quoting passages out of context to prove your point. That's just disrespectful and will just get another one of your threads shut down.

Sure, Internet anonymity is a real aphrodisiac and stimulant... But these are real people you are dealing with, not faceless names on a computer screen. A little respect and maturity will go a long way.

THANKS for a TRULY Christian Post!

My name is patrick68,

I'm an informed, fully practicing Roman catholic with MANY years of expereince explaining not only What we do; but just as importantly WHY we do it and WHAT permits us to. So if you have any questions; I'd be delighted to engance you in conversation.

God Bless,
patrick68

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
THANKS for a TRULY Christian Post!

My name is patrick68,

I'm an informed, fully practicing Roman catholic with MANY years of expereince explaining not only What we do; but just as importantly WHY we do it and WHAT permits us to. So if you have any questions; I'd be delighted to engance you in conversation.

God Bless,
patrick68
Thank you patrick68.

I used to be an avid listener to Catholic Answers, for several years. The only reason I'm not anymore, is because of my work schedule being different... It's probably archived, but it doesn't feel the same not listening to it live. When they had their call-in "ask the listener" shows, I was able to answer almost every question that was asked (not calling in myself)... But yes, the show was probably pretty limited in scope... I'd wouldn't consider myself a real expert.

Upvote 0