Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
what do i do to listen to God? hmm its different really. I think it is more of what desire God puts in my heart for the means to receive his message. Sometimes just being alone is what he wants, anywhere. Sometimes I go sit outside alone or go to a worship service. Sometimes reading the Bible first or doing a little reading in another book or listening to music (and sometimes not even Christian music). God has great things to tell us, and like when we tell friends things there is a good way to tell some things that might not be so well told a different way. (hmm i hope that wasnt too confusing). sometimes God simply wants to go on a "date" with me. Those are the best talks we have!

Upvote 0

abm

A Pentecostal Minister
Andrew said:
God speaks to us in basically 3 ways:

1. Audible voice (very rare, perhaps once or twice in your lifetime).

2. Still small voice (something like 1. but inwardly, but also rarely, maybe 5-10% of the time).

3. Inward witness or 'knowing' or impression or promptings (this is the chief way God speaks to us today, probably 99% of the time).

I heard one time that 99.12453% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Most un-scientific statistics are bassed upon personal experience, or sometimes educated guesses.

Point number 1, the audible voice, which you say is very rare, is not nearly as rare as people might think. It is just not openly talked about.

I have only heard the audible voice of God once, but it was an experence that I will not soon forget. It was very intament, very direct, and it knocked me to the ground before I knew what was happening.

My grandfather, who has dedicated his life to prayer (4, 6, sometimes 8 hours a day!!! wow!) ragularly hears the audible voice of God. He is always dissapointed if God audibly talks to him 2 or 3 times a month, because he is used to every night. But, God, in His soverenty desides how much He will talk.

If God speaks to my grandpa when you are in the room various things happen. Sometimes it's just a sweet presence, other times you are thrown to the ground along with my grandpa. It's an amazing experence just being around such a man of God.

(Note: God does not always knock you down when He audibly speaks, but He does when He wants to get your attention.)

I know that most people that will read this will react in one of two ways. Ether they will say it just doesn't happen today, or they will wish they too, can hear the voice of God.

It is not as dificult as you may think to be in a place that God will accually audibly talk to you. All you have to do is accually serve Him, and spend time with Him. Not just spend a few min a day in prayer, but give Him entire days. Take a weekend and spend it fasting and praying . . . even if you do not hear anything. Do it often, do it every chance you can . . . and He will talk to you too!!!

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I heard one time that 99.12453% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Most un-scientific statistics are bassed upon personal experience, or sometimes educated guesses.

The percentages are just figurative to help one understnd, not to be taken literally as based on some scientific research.

Your grandfather's case is certainly unique, compared to the majority of Christians. You yourself have said that you have only heard the audible voice of God once, so far.

My point is simply that 3 is the norm today for the average Christian. This shld encourage them as it means that God does speak to them, just not in the way the expect ie voices, whether outside or inside.

I also forgot to add that God speaks to us mainly thru his Word. :)

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen if we would just take the time. Well he has been saying alot to me but mostly, and we all know this is he keeps say to me "I am coming". He is saying it ALOT. I have never heard a audible voice. I will be very happy with that one that calls us home :D

Upvote 0

MyangelDems

TGBTG
Jan 15, 2003
cali
Visit site
✟303.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Andrew said:
The percentages are just figurative to help one understnd, not to be taken literally as based on some scientific research.

Your grandfather's case is certainly unique, compared to the majority of Christians. You yourself have said that you have only heard the audible voice of God once, so far.

My point is simply that 3 is the norm today for the average Christian. This shld encourage them as it means that God does speak to them, just not in the way the expect ie voices, whether outside or inside.

I also forgot to add that God speaks to us mainly thru his Word. :)

Gosh...always knew i wasnt average....i primarily experience the 2nd choice you threw out there I think. I'm not entirely sure considering that to me it sounds the same as if I were speaking with someone directly in front of me. How then do you distinguish from audible and non-audible? The bible does say that in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...it never makes mention of the bible though? The bible is the Word that you are speaking of, but I dunno if the bible is God?

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MyangelDems said:
Gosh...always knew i wasnt average....i primarily experience the 2nd choice you threw out there I think. I'm not entirely sure considering that to me it sounds the same as if I were speaking with someone directly in front of me. How then do you distinguish from audible and non-audible? The bible does say that in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...it never makes mention of the bible though? The bible is the Word that you are speaking of, but I dunno if the bible is God?
Why not just ask God if it is or not... whatever He says goes :D

Upvote 0

hal weeks

Jul 16, 2003
Coronado CA
Visit site
✟251.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Although it has taken almost 25 years for me to experience an ongoing intimacey that is like being constantly online with Him. God -- the Holy Spirit -- has no doubt "spoken" to me all my ife but I was not aware of it.
the first time I heard Him and realized it was Him was when I was first baptize in the Holy Spirit, 26 years ago. There does not seem to be anything to trivial for Him to respond to.
I am now 90.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
How then do you distinguish from audible and non-audible? The bible does say that in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...it never makes mention of the bible though? The bible is the Word that you are speaking of, but I dunno if the bible is God?

well, the audible voice is supposed to be very clear and sometimes loud. It is as though someone called you and you turned around to see who it was.

the still small voice is very quiet and gentle in is inside you, like in your head o heart.

that's the best way I can explain it from what I've read. the person who taught this is Kenneth E Hagin.

I've never heard the audible voice of God. Still small voice, perhaps -- I'm still learning.

most of the time for me it is the 3rd method (inward witness/leading for a few days/weeks) or through the Bible, ie a certain verse or word "speaks" to me uniquely for my particular situation.

a lot of times it has been through my pastor's preaching too. It's as though someone told him what was going on in my life, and my wife and I look at each other kind of surprised. and we know God is speaking to us about what just happened this morning or yesterday. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.