• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Help With my Father that Drinks

Luth96

Mar 17, 2017
United States
✟15,328.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
My father drinks anywhere from 4-9, 8% alcohol drinks a day. He had hurt his back a long time ago in a past job and it is how he 'deals with the pain'. He promised me a long time ago that he would stop drinking, but he didn't. At times, usually in the lower tiers, he is fine and somewhat funny. Once he drinks quite a bit though, he gets very mean. He blames my mother for tearing our family apart when his drinking is the problem in my eyes. I want to forgive him, and every time I do, he starts back in with more drinking the next day. He blames my mother for not being truthful, and not listening to God, while he goes and drinks. Any help on forgiveness, or what to tell him to make him stop drinking?

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My father drinks anywhere from 4-9, 8% alcohol drinks a day. He had hurt his back a long time ago in a past job and it is how he 'deals with the pain'. He promised me a long time ago that he would stop drinking, but he didn't. At times, usually in the lower tiers, he is fine and somewhat funny. Once he drinks quite a bit though, he gets very mean. He blames my mother for tearing our family apart when his drinking is the problem in my eyes. I want to forgive him, and every time I do, he starts back in with more drinking the next day. He blames my mother for not being truthful, and not listening to God, while he goes and drinks. Any help on forgiveness, or what to tell him to make him stop drinking?

alcohol is one of those issues that tear up a family quite quickly, as well as it can other areas of life. A person needs to choose they will stop using/drinking, but family can be there to love them, but yet not endorse the behaviors. I don't know what the dynamics are for your family, but I can speak to forgiveness.

Forgiveness is a choice we make out of our desire to find peace with someone. They may not have any impact from it, but we do. It's not always easy to choose or keep being forgiving. I do know that sometimes I have to choose to forgive over and over on certain issues, but God understands that.

How do you help your father? I'd encourage you to see Christian counsel from someone who specialized in alcoholism, as well as perhaps looking for a support group called Celebrate Recovery or Al-Anon.

Upvote 0