Got Myself a Catechism

zaida

Dec 14, 2011
✟8,219.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ratchet30 - I got myself a catechism a number of weeks ago. Ive been having individual tuition with my local priest, as well. Ive been slowly reading the catechism (very slowly) cover to cover, but what I do even more is go to various sections when I have a particular question. For example, I was worried about some of my "doubts" and what it means to doubt certain teachings - went and found "doubt" in the back index (not index, whats the word Im looking for? - my minds leaving me!) anyway went to the back and found the corresponding section on "doubt" and read that. As Im moved to study a certain topic, I try and find the corresponding section. Listen, if you ever want to talk privately or study ections together let me know!

Upvote 0

johnnyc

I'm Home
Jul 20, 2011
SC
✟8,131.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Ratchet30 - I got myself a catechism a number of weeks ago. Ive been having individual tuition with my local priest, as well. Ive been slowly reading the catechism (very slowly) cover to cover, but what I do even more is go to various sections when I have a particular question. For example, I was worried about some of my "doubts" and what it means to doubt certain teachings - went and found "doubt" in the back index (not index, whats the word Im looking for? - my minds leaving me!) anyway went to the back and found the corresponding section on "doubt" and read that. As Im moved to study a certain topic, I try and find the corresponding section. Listen, if you ever want to talk privately or study ections together let me know!

You are correct Zaida..it is called an index and that is a good way to look up specific teachings of the Catholic Church. Another way to use the Catechism is to get a Catholic Bible Study and usually in the notes or commentary section they will site what section of the Catechism to go to to get insight from the Catholic Church on that particular Scripture. There is a really good one online called Agape Catholic Bible Study although they do not have all the books finished yet. I can't link to it but just google it and you will find it.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟247,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Catechism is ordered intuitively. There are four sections: 1) the creed, 2) the sacraments, 3) the moral life, and 4) prayer. In that way it tends to build respectively from 1) knowing about God, 2) entering into relationship with God, 3) growing in relationship with God, and 4) persevering in God's life through Christian prayer. If you do decide to read it linearly, try to hold this general structure in mind. Good luck! :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,764,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What exactly is the purpose of the Catechism, if God has already left us with His own infallible and inspired Word?
Frequently Asked Questions about the Catechism of the Catholic Church

1. What is a catechism?
    A catechism is a text which contains the fundamental Christian truths formulated in a way that facilitates their understanding. There are two categories of catechism: major and minor. A major catechism is a resource or a point of reference for the development of minor catechisms. The Catechism of the Catholic Church is an example of a major catechism. The Baltimore Catechism is an example of a minor catechism.
    Continued- Frequently Asked Questions about the Catechism of the Catholic Church

Upvote 0

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟16,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I personally use the Catechism like a dictionary or a reference book. Of course I'm not saying that is all the Catechism good for, but you can use it that way.

If you are new to the faith, I suggest that you read the prayer section first since all Christians need to pray at some point (I myself struggle with this a lot). After that, perhaps the salvation section, now at this point you really should have the bible ready since the Catechism isn't supposed to be your sole book of faith. All good Catholics should be reading their bible, remember what Saint Jerome said: "Ignorance in scripture is ignorance in Christ". The message of salvation is in the gospels not anywhere else, however the Catechism is useful for interpreting it the correct way.

After that, I suggest the Sacraments. This is what separates the Churches with valid Apostolic Succession from the more modern Protestants. The Holy Catholic Church has preserved the divine mysteries which Christ himself has established through his Apostles, thus the knowledge of the Holy Sacraments of the Church is absolutely necessary for all Catholics.

Then, it's really up to you on what you want to know. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0