Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi, any of you all that know me in this forum know i have not been to church in several years. Well, my Dad found a paper from Christ United Church in our town and it had a message on it on being either a giver or a taker. He showed it to me, we talked about the church, he remembered during the last hurricane they brought us home cooked hot meals, the only food we had came from jars or cans, so they had a stove and oven that worked and they cooked for the community. My Dad was impressed because they lived their faith. The church was small and modest, it had a lot of senior citizens, where I live there are a lot of old people, so that is nothing new. At first I was nervous because they wanted to shake hands, pat me on the back and hug me. I get nervous when strangers want to be affectionate, because I am worried about germs because of covid. But I realized they were just trying to be kind and friendly. My Dad told me not to worry about germs from shaking hands, that goes to far, the people there were very nice. They had hymn books but no organ or piano, no choir, the people sang with their own voices. The preacher said he liked gospel and country music, there are musical instruments in country and gospel music, so apparently he did not have a problem with musical instruments, just not in church. Anyway, I felt guilty for being so rude and not shaking hands. I decided not to worry about covid, I would hug,shake hands, be kind, sweet, and affectionate.

They seem to have a different preacher every week. The first preacher talked about how his brother died, his brother wanted to die, so he did. I think the preacher was sad, talking about it in a sermon helped him feel better. He talked about depression and suicide in modern day society, If someone wants to die, they will find a way to die. He said God wants us to live. He talked about blue laws in the past, that only pharmacies were open on SUnday, people went to church on Sunday, women cooked lunch and dinner for their families, they learned to be good cooks. People were more involved with the communities.

Then next Sunday the preacher talked about Jesus healing a paralyzed man in a house that was very crowded. His friends carried him up to the roof and dug into the roof a big hole, damaging the house, and lowered their friend down on a mat in front of Jesus. Then the pharisees complained that Jesus was speaking blasphemy when he forgave the man for his sins, Jesus rebuked the pharisees and healed the paralyzed man, he said, "Get up and walk, take your mat up and go home."

I remember being taught that story as a child. I thought the roof was thatched with sticks, leaves, straw, but I guess the houses in Biblical Israel were different. The preacher said the roofs were made of something like concrete. He said the friends had a lot of faith to destroy someone's home in order for their friend to be healed. I guess the owner of the house was very angry, maybe Jesus encouraged him to have mercy.

I wish my Mom would wake up in time to go to church with us, she sleeps a lot. It takes her a long time to get ready. This is a small close-nit church and the people are very friendly. I like it because it is relief from the big, mega church with a lot of flashy stuff like loud obnoxious rock music dancing jumping around waving your hands in the air the preacher being all dramatic and people whining about their sin,, where they make church seem like a Christian rock concert instead of a modest, quiet, humble traditional church service. I have found the I prefer the traditional old fashion church, instead of the flashy rock churches.

The big flashy modern rock churches might be fine for other Christians, but not for me. I am glad to go to this nice church my Dad found. I hope Mom will wake up and get ready and go to church with us. She has some health problems.