✟89,433.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 5:

24 Enoch walked with God, and then he was no more, because God had taken him away.
Enoch had passed the test. No more testing for him. This is one of the earliest verses alluding to eternal life.

Hebrews 11:

5 By faith Enoch was taken up so that he should not see death, and he was not found because God had taken him. Now before he was taken, he was commended as having pleased God.
I think God had zipped Enoch up and will restore him on the last day.

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟172,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 5:

Enoch had passed the test. No more testing for him. This is one of the earliest verses alluding to eternal life.

Hebrews 11:

It is always a risky thing to add to scripture and make scripture say things it does not state. Those who do so should not consider anything they teach correct, nor should others consider what they teach correct or individuals to be followed as godly teachers.

Genesis 5:24
Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.

Hebrews 11:5
By faith Enoch was taken away so that he did not see death, “and was not found, because God had taken him;" for before he was taken he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

Romans 3:23
...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Hebrews 9:27
And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment...,

Those four sentences cannot be made to contradict. When Enoch is said to have walked with God it does not mean he was sinless, or that he had some kind of exemption from Romans 3:23 and the wages thereof. Likewise, when the author of Hebrews says Enoch did not see death the author is not contradicting himself. All men sin. Enoch included. It is appointed to all to die once and face judgment. Enoch included.

1 Corinthians 15:50
Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

That applies to Enoch, too.
God took Enoch away to where?
Scripture is silent about that answer. Therefore, we too should be silent.
So now we're relying on reddit to understand scripture?

How about we stick with scripture and the illuminations and limits thereof?

2 Corinthians 5:1-8
For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For indeed in this house we groan, longing to be clothed with our dwelling from heaven, inasmuch as we, having put it on, will not be found naked. For indeed while we are in this tent, we groan, being burdened, because we do not want to be unclothed but to be clothed, so that what is mortal will be swallowed up by life. Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge. Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord — for we walk by faith, not by sight — we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.

There is only one way to God.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟172,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, what you are saying is that there is no such thing as the Rapture?
That is not what I am saying.

This op is about Enoch, not the rapture. I tell you this because I am not a poster who willingly digresses far afield on an op. I like to stick to the subject specified in an op. One reason is because trolls and those either unskilled or lazy in reasoning don't post topically. I try not to do that and I try not to collaborate with those who do so. Threads get hijacked by that practice. Some posters do that unwittingly; others deliberately. It's a practice that is very common among modern futurists (or, more specifically, Dispensational Premillennialists). I am also not a very big fan of posters putting words into my posts I did not write. The only one talking about any rapture is you. That's not an attack, or a judgment; that's the plain, simple, objectively verified fact and a simple word search of the thread will prove it. How and why Post #2 would be read to say there is no such thing as the rapture is beyond me. I never said any such thing.

So..... If you have something op-relevant to post about Enoch, then I'll entertainment (and that would be my preference.)

However, as an expression of goodwill, and because I've had discussions with @tonychanyt before and I know a little about his views, I will briefly address your question with an expectation you'll either return to the op or prove unwilling to do so. Consider it a test, if you like.

Throughout Christian history, Christian thought, doctrine, and practice has been to hold the rapture and the second coming of Christ as parts of a single event. In the 19th century a new theology was invented in which the rapture and the second coming were separated; considered to completely different events, once separated by years. This new eschatological pov is called Dispensational Premillennialism (DP), but more generically is "modern futurism," because not all who hold the same position self-identify as Dispensationalists. The point being is that all Christians believe in a rapture, but they do not all all agree the rapture coincides with the Second Coming. Here's a chart documenting the perspectives held by the four main eschatological views:

Rose Publiching Chart - Eschatology.jpg

As everyone can see, when it comes to the rapture, DPism holds to a completely different view of the rapture than everyone else. It is the Dispensationalist, or modern futurist, that is the statistical and normative outlier, but because Dispensationalism is very popular in Christian media (they sell a lot of books and dominate the radio airwaves) many think DPism is the norm, when it is not. Everyone believes there will be a rapture, but not everyone believes it happens the way Dispensationalism teaches. I do not know your view. My belief is that the two, the rapture and the second coming, are not separate events, two events separated in time by many years; the two are aspects of the same event.

But that has nothing to do with Enoch, so do not expect me to collaborate with any digression far afield of the op, or any hijacking of tony's op. Go back and re-read Posts 1 and 2 with that in mind. I'm happy to consider any op-relevant content you post.

Upvote 0

Qubit

Mar 6, 2024
USA
✟15,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow @Josheb . What you just wrote has to be one of the most arrogant, smug, presumptuous, condescending comments I have ever seen in my life. Congratulations on that achievement. BTW, there was absolutely no call for that whatsoever.

If you were not so busy being full of yourself, you would have understood that my comment has everything to do with Enoch. So no, I was not 'hijacking'. And who are you to be judging whether a comment is hijacking or not? Seriously, get off that High Horse you are on. Wow.

All I was trying to do is have you clarify why you posted Hebews 9:27 with regards to Enoch. It appears that you believe that Hebrews 9:27 teaches that everyone has to die, including Enoch. Is that it? If that is the case, then you are dead wrong.

The point I was going to make is that if you believe Hebews 9:27 teaches that "everyone has to die", then that means there is no Rapture. Do you understand? Many Christians look forward to the Rapture because they will not experience death. Are you following me here?

If you believe that Hebrews 9:27 teaches that "everyone has to die and it is only one time", then again, you are in error as there are many examples of those who died, were revied, only to die later. You would also be in contradiction with verses teaching of the Second Death. Die once and die twice are contradictory teachings, obviously.

The bottom line is that if you believe Enoch has to die because of what Hebrews 9:27 states, then you are in serious error.

But whatever. I am putting you on permanent ignore so I do not have to experience that nasty personality of yours again.

Later.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟172,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But whatever.
Could have avoided it all by simply sticking to the topic at hand.
I am putting you on permanent ignore....
I doubt it, but if you cannot stick to the posts then that would be a good thing.
The bottom line is that if you believe Enoch has to die because of what Hebrews 9:27 states, then you are in serious error.
Scripture states what scripture states, and I endeavor to accept and believe scripture exactly as written. As I stated previously, Heb. 9:27 cannot and does not contradict Heb. 11:5. We could have discussed that amenably except for the hypocritical, ad hominem and off topic judgement.....
Wow @Josheb . What you just wrote has to be one of the most arrogant, smug, presumptuous, condescending...
Thank you for your time. Smug or not, my appraisal proved correct. Next time just stick to the posts and we won't have any problem.

Upvote 0