God said to Job: Surely you know, for you were already born!

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟94,396.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NIV Job 38:

19 “What is the way to the abode of light? And where does darkness reside?
20 Can you take them to their places? Do you know the paths to their dwellings?
21 Surely you know, for you were already born! You have lived so many years!
Was God being ironic and sarcastic?

I think so, but there is another possible translation: New King James Version:

21 Do you know it, because you were born then, Or because the number of your days is great?
Even if one sees verse 21 as a question, it still carries some degrees of irony and sarcasm.

He was interacting with a man. He was using irony and perhaps even sarcasm.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟142,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
NIV Job 38:

Even if one sees verse 21 as a question, it still carries some degrees of irony and sarcasm.

So, this goes to show that God has a sense of humor. :)

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟142,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is another way of interpreting this scripture though, as I outlined below.

In Job 38:19-21, God may not be ironic or sarcastic towards Job. Instead, God is using rhetorical questions to emphasize His omniscience and sovereignty over all creation, including the natural phenomena of light and darkness.

Let's break down the verse into components to understand this:

1. "What is the way to the abode of light?" - This question implies that God is asking Job if he knows where the source of light is or how to get there. However, since Job is not a deity and has no power over creation, it is an impossible question for him to answer.
2. "And where does darkness reside?" - Similar to the first question, God is asking Job if he knows where darkness comes from or where it goes when it's not present. Again, this is a rhetorical question that emphasizes God's divine knowledge and control over all things.
3. "Can you take them to their places?" - This question suggests that God is asking Job if he has the ability to control or move light and darkness. Since Job is a human being, he does not have this power.
4. "Do you know the paths to their dwellings?" - This question implies that God is asking Job if he has a deep understanding of the natural world and its workings. However, since Job is not an all-knowing deity, he cannot answer this question.
5. "Surely you know, for you were already born! You have lived so many years!" - God is reminding Job of his human limitations and the fact that he has not been present since the beginning of creation. This emphasizes God's unique position as the creator and sustainer of all things.

TLDR: God is not being ironic or sarcastic in Job 38:19-21. Instead, He is using rhetorical questions to emphasize His divine knowledge and power over all creation, including the natural phenomena of light and darkness.

Reactions: Rose_bud
Upvote 0

Qubit

Mar 6, 2024
USA
✟17,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Things that make you go hmmm...

Job 1:21 (New King James Version)
And he said: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, And naked shall I
return there. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; Blessed be the name of the LORD.”

Short version...

"I came from my mother's womb and I will return there."

Nothing to see here, move along. :hearnoevil: :seenoevil: :speaknoevil:

Hey Nicodemus, what was that question you asked Jesus? Something about going back where you came from? :baby:

Upvote 0

Qubit

Mar 6, 2024
USA
✟17,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where were you, Job?

Job 38:4 (New International Version)
"Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation? Tell me, if you understand."

Here you were...

Job 38:7
"When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?"

He was just a little Star watching God create the universe. Did he remember, or did he forget?

Personally, I do not remember. How about you?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
So, this goes to show that God has a sense of humor. :)

There is another way of interpreting this scripture though, as I outlined below.

In Job 38:19-21, God may not be ironic or sarcastic towards Job. Instead, God is using rhetorical questions to emphasize His omniscience and sovereignty over all creation, including the natural phenomena of light and darkness.

1. "What is the way to the abode of light?" - This question implies that God is asking Job if he knows where the source of light is or how to get there. However, since Job is not a deity and has no power over creation, it is an impossible question for him to answer.
2. "And where does darkness reside?" - Similar to the first question, God is asking Job if he knows where darkness comes from or where it goes when it's not present. Again, this is a rhetorical question that emphasizes God's divine knowledge and control over all things.
3. "Can you take them to their places?" - This question suggests that God is asking Job if he has the ability to control or move light and darkness. Since Job is a human being, he does not have this power.
4. "Do you know the paths to their dwellings?" - This question implies that God is asking Job if he has a deep understanding of the natural world and its workings. However, since Job is not an all-knowing deity, he cannot answer this question.
5. "Surely you know, for you were already born! You have lived so many years!" - God is reminding Job of his human limitations and the fact that he has not been present since the beginning of creation. This emphasizes God's unique position as the creator and sustainer of all things.

TLDR: God is not being ironic or sarcastic in Job 38:19-21. Instead, He is using rhetorical questions to emphasize His divine knowledge and power over all creation, including the natural phenomena of light and darkness.
He was using a rhetorical question for that, AND sarcasm to drive his point, to completely disconnect Job from his self-justification.

The Old Testament in particular is rich in sarcasm. God does have a huge sense of humor. One of my favorite series of such things is the story of Ahab. Ahab says, (my paraphrase), "Well, yes, there is one prophet of God but he never says anything good about me!" And Jehoshaphat says, "Ya' don't say!" —And it continues: Micaiah says, just as he was told by the messengers to agree with the false prophets, "Yes, attack and be victorious, for God will give it into your hand.", although he had told the messengers he could only say what God told him. Yep, he was mocking the false prophets. And Ahab gets upset, "Haven't I always told you to tell me nothing but the truth?" Then at the showdown with all the false prophets, as they scream and cut themselves and their god still doesn't answer, Elijah mocks them, "Call louder! Maybe he's asleep, or maybe he's on the toilet!"

Off topic, but interestingly enough, Micaiah tells the account of how the false prophets, and Ahab in particular, are deceived by direct order of the Lord. (2 Chronicles 18:21) It is an interesting commentary on just where the dividing line is, between God tempting and not tempting someone, for those who deny that God caused that there be evil and sin, for his own purposes.​

Upvote 0

Sorn

Jan 8, 2018
Perth
✟188,894.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Without knowing the tone of voice God used its hard to know for sure

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟142,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He was using a rhetorical question for that, AND sarcasm to drive his point, to completely disconnect Job from his self-justification.

The Old Testament in particular is rich in sarcasm. God does have a huge sense of humor. One of my favorite series of such things is the story of Ahab. Ahab says, (my paraphrase), "Well, yes, there is one prophet of God but he never says anything good about me!" And Jehoshaphat says, "Ya' don't say!" —And it continues: Micaiah says, just as he was told by the messengers to agree with the false prophets, "Yes, attack and be victorious, for God will give it into your hand.", although he had told the messengers he could only say what God told him. Yep, he was mocking the false prophets. And Ahab gets upset, "Haven't I always told you to tell me nothing but the truth?" Then at the showdown with all the false prophets, as they scream and cut themselves and their god still doesn't answer, Elijah mocks them, "Call louder! Maybe he's asleep, or maybe he's on the toilet!"

Off topic, but interestingly enough, Micaiah tells the account of how the false prophets, and Ahab in particular, are deceived by direct order of the Lord. (2 Chronicles 18:21) It is an interesting commentary on just where the dividing line is, between God tempting and not tempting someone, for those who deny that God caused that there be evil and sin, for his own purposes.​
Interesting stuff. The Bible is generally thought of as serious, but there is some funny things in the Bible, if we know where to look. Thank you for telling me about the story of Ahab. Haven't heard that one in ages. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟35,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
NIV Job 38:

Hey there :wave:

I agree there are times when God appears to be sarcastic in His response. I just don't think it was this time. It would of been rather callous if He was. Job had just gone through the most. Extreme suffering, loss and disappointment, his sanity questioned by those who regarded as friends. I'd lean towards the assessment by AlexB23 it was a rhetorical question.

Job 38:3 Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟94,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I first became a Christian, a member of the congregation I belonged to at the time was telling me about those who stole the Ark having been sticken with hermeroids (as one interpretation claims). He was trying to get me to see that God has a sense of humor and, when appropriate, cuts man a break when he sees humor in His Word.
He told me he thinks Jesus probably greased the handle on the woman at the well.
Perhaps you'd have to have worked in a machine shop to appreciate that.

I do agree, though, with posters who think that He was not being sarcastic with Job.

Upvote 0