Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I would conclude that you are stubborn in unbelief. If you want the Holy Spirit then all you have to do ask for Him; put aside your unbelief and have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
I have, but until there's a response, I can't put aside my unbelief. Can a person just believe in something as a choice?

Upvote 0

ClothedInGrace

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have, but until there's a response, I can't put aside my unbelief. Can a person just believe in something as a choice?
Mark 9:24
Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

You have unbelief, yes? Do you know that this unbelief is wrong? If so, then fight your unbelief with whatever faith God has given you.

I don't think belief is as much a choice as it is a reality. Do you believe deep down, or do you not?

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

You have unbelief, yes? Do you know that this unbelief is wrong? If so, then fight your unbelief with whatever faith God has given you.

I don't think belief is as much a choice as it is a reality. Do you believe deep down, or do you not?
On the surface I try to live as a believer, and pray regularly. Deep down I disbelieve and have for decades despite prayer, study and worship.

Upvote 0

ClothedInGrace

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On the surface I try to live as a believer, and pray regularly. Deep down I disbelieve and have for decades despite prayer, study and worship.
I would say that there are many Christians who just "believe" on the surface, but are actually faithless and dead on the inside. God is not concerned about your outward actions: He wants you to actually have faith in Him, not just with your money, time, and prayers, but with your heart and your soul.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I would say that there are many Christians who just "believe" on the surface, but are actually faithless and dead on the inside. God is not concerned about your outward actions: He wants you to actually have faith in Him, not just with your money, time, and prayers, but with your heart and your soul.
They why doesn't the Holy Spirit give me faith?

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you even believe in the Holy Spirit?
I want to. I've been taught that faith is a gift of the Holy Spirit.
But I can't claim faith I don't have anymore than I can really believe I have a million bucks in the bank and it's therefore true.
Once again it feels like a circle. .I have to have faith to believe and have to believe to be given faith.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Why don't you?
Can you just say you believe and it becomes a fact? I thoughtfaith was a gift from God through the Holy Spirit, and it isn't something I can claim if I haven't received it yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ClothedInGrace

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can you just say you believe and it becomes a fact? I thoughtfaith was a gift from God through the Holy Spirit, and it isn't something I can claim if I haven't received it yet.
Faith is a gift from God through the Holy Spirit. People without the Holy Spirit have no faith; people with the Holy Spirit have faith. Why do you keep saying that you want faith and that you want the Holy Spirit? Maybe you already do and are just caught in a period of fleshly doubt? A truly faithless person would simply reject the idea altogether, yet you are sitting here begging for the Spirit and you act like God is withholding Him from you. God doesn't withhold the Holy Spirit from those who want Him, so either you are playing this up or are caught in the flesh.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Faith is a gift from God through the Holy Spirit. People without the Holy Spirit have no faith; people with the Holy Spirit have faith. Why do you keep saying that you want faith and that you want the Holy Spirit? Maybe you already do and are just caught in a period of fleshly doubt? A truly faithless person would simply reject the idea altogether, yet you are sitting here begging for the Spirit and you act like God is withholding Him from you. God doesn't withhold the Holy Spirit from those who want Him.
I don't truly have faith. I'd like to believe in God and have prayed for faith, but I haven't received it, so I think that the best conclusion is that God is currently withholding it from me. The only other possibility I can think of is that God doesn't exist.
Now, should I not be continuing to ask for faith? You make it sound like I should give up.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
If you really are a faithless person then you would give up... Do you know what the Gospel is?
Yes, I know what the Gospels are. I have read them many times, studied the . heard sermons, etc.
I don't understand your logic, though. If I don't have faith, but want faith, why would I give up? Does one say, 'I'd like to be a doctor, but I am not a doctor so I should give up studying to be one?'
Why would you suggest that to someone who really would like to have faith?

Upvote 0

ClothedInGrace

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I know what the Gospels are. I have read them many times, studied the . heard sermons, etc.
I don't understand your logic, though. If I don't have faith, but want faith, why would I give up? Does one say, 'I'd like to be a doctor, but I am not a doctor so I should give up studying to be one?'
Why would you suggest that to someone who really would like to have faith?
Let me ask you this... How do you ask God for faith when you don't have faith in Him?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Let me ask you this... How do you ask God for faith when you don't have faith in Him?
I ask for faith because I don't have faith. If I had it, why would I ask for it?

Upvote 0

ClothedInGrace

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I ask for faith because I don't have faith. If I had it, why would I ask for it?
Want kind of faith is it that you even want? Faith in Buddha, Krishna, Christ, or what? Do you even know who God is? I asked you if you knew what the Gospel was and you said you read the Gospels, but can you tell me what the GOSPEL (singular) is?

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Want kind of faith is it that you even want? Faith in Buddha, Krishna, Christ, or what? Do you even know who God is? I asked you if you knew what the Gospel was and you said you read the Gospels, but can you tell me what the GOSPEL (singular) is?
I want faith in what is really out there. I know how God is described by Christianity, have read what is believed by those of faith to be His word, and know the Gospel message is that He sent his Son to save us.
What I don't know is if those are stories or accurate descriptions of a supernatural trinity.
I don't know why this is hard to understand. I was raised in the faith, began doubting the existence of God at a young age, and have been trying to find faith ever since.
I have also looked not only at other denominations but at other religions, but remain as unconvinced of Krishna as I am of God.
I have put more time into praying and studying on the Christian path, for a variety of reasons .
I pray daily that God would speak to me, or send the Holy Spirit to me, do you think I should quit, or claim faith I do not currently have?

Upvote 0

ClothedInGrace

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I pray daily that God would speak to me, or send the Holy Spirit to me, do you think I should quit, or claim faith I do not currently have?
You are simply a lost person and all I can offer you is the Gospel and the truth about who God is. Accept it or reject it, but whether you have faith or not will depend upon the Holy Spirit. I'm not saying you will never be saved or find the true faith, but what I'm saying is that the timing of that is up to God--not me or anyone else.

The fact that you are seeking is really good, though. If only you would rest in Christ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Why is unbelief wrong and in what sense is it wrong?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.