Genesis Provides an Argument for Evolution?

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟245,681.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You stated the following categorically:

" In order to become a Christian one must believe that Jesus died for our sins, that He was buried and arose the 3rd Day ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES. "

Nowhere in the scripture you have quoted are these requirements specified. Which is pretty much what I expected, based upon my own somewhat limited scriptural knowledge. So can we now agree that your quoted statement above is false?

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
You stated the following categorically:

Aman:>>" In order to become a Christian one must believe that Jesus died for our sins, that He was buried and arose the 3rd Day ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES. "

Nowhere in the scripture you have quoted are these requirements specified. Which is pretty much what I expected, based upon my own somewhat limited scriptural knowledge. So can we now agree that your quoted statement above is false?

Dear Oph, Correction: YOU don't know where to find the Power of God unto Salvation, but I do. Here it is:

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Here is the Gospel of Jesus Christ:

1 Corinthians 15
King James Version (KJV)
15 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Now, it's YOUR time to show us Scripture which refutes me or admit that you don't know what Scripture is teaching. Show us another way to heaven except the one above....if you can.

In Love,
Aman

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟245,681.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
So why did it take you two attempts to produce that piece of scripture? I asked you to educate me and you chose, apparently deliberately to respond with a wholly inadequate answer. If it were not for my innate tendendcy to trust people I would think you were trying to manipulate me.

Now, I am quite sure that holding the particular belief, that you have neatly demonstrated is in the scripture, is not the way to heaven. But I am quite happy to agree that the text implies that Christians must believe in the risen Christ to be considered Christians.

I'm not sure why you seem to be taking such a delight in those instances where you think you have put one over on me. Strange behaviour from where I am sitting, but whatever pushes your button.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
So why did it take you two attempts to produce that piece of scripture?

Dear Oph, You mean the Scriptural evidence which YOU said wasn't there?

I asked you to educate me and you chose, apparently deliberately to respond with a wholly inadequate answer. If it were not for my innate tendendcy to trust people I would think you were trying to manipulate me.

I'm trying to educate you so that you can understand God's Truth. It looks like it might be a long journey. How long have you been paranoid?

Now, I am quite sure that holding the particular belief, that you have neatly demonstrated is in the scripture, is not the way to heaven.

Then What is? It's easy to make blanket statements which cover up your complete ignorace of the subject, but much harder to make sense of something you know nothing about. Tell us the way to heaven or everyone will see that you're just blowing smoke.

But I am quite happy to agree that the text implies that Christians must believe in the risen Christ to be considered Christians.

Did you miss the part about being born again Spiritually? It's the ONLY way to heaven. Those who have NOT been born again Spiritually, are the LOST.

I'm not sure why you seem to be taking such a delight in those instances where you think you have put one over on me. Strange behaviour from where I am sitting, but whatever pushes your button.

Because you keep making bombastic statements like: that's not in Scripture, and when refuted, you whine that it took 2 tries to prove to you what you said didn't exist, does. Don't you remember the conversation?

In Love,
Aman

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟245,681.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I am unfamiliar with the reporting process on this forum. On those forums I frequent when a member makes false accusations about another member and refuses to retract those false accusations there are consequences.

I am offering you a chance to retract your false accusations. Here they are:
Dear Oph, You mean the Scriptural evidence which YOU said wasn't there?

Because you keep making bombastic statements like: that's not in Scripture, and when refuted, you whine that it took 2 tries to prove to you what you said didn't exist, does. Don't you remember the conversation?

I remember my statements very clearly. Here they are:

2. Point me to a passage in scriptue that defines a Christian in that manner. To the best of my knowledge Christians are mentioned only two or three times. Paul talks of the first use of the term applied to a gathering of disciples in Antioch, in Acts. Peter, I think, speaks of suffering as a Christian. There may be one or two further instances.

The early Christians followed the teachings of Christ. I'm asking you to educate me. Cite where in scripture the beliefs you hold are defined as a requirement.

I specifically asked for the scripture that would support your contention. You specifically failed to produce it.
Now, if you have any moral fibre, apologise for the false accusation. Truth is important in my life. I'd like to think it is important in yours.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
I am unfamiliar with the reporting process on this forum. On those forums I frequent when a member makes false accusations about another member and refuses to retract those false accusations there are consequences.

I am offering you a chance to retract your false accusations. Here they are:

I remember my statements very clearly. Here they are:

2. Point me to a passage in scriptue that defines a Christian in that manner. To the best of my knowledge Christians are mentioned only two or three times. Paul talks of the first use of the term applied to a gathering of disciples in Antioch, in Acts. Peter, I think, speaks of suffering as a Christian. There may be one or two further instances.

The early Christians followed the teachings of Christ. I'm asking you to educate me. Cite where in scripture the beliefs you hold are defined as a requirement.

I specifically asked for the scripture that would support your contention. You specifically failed to produce it.
Now, if you have any moral fibre, apologise for the false accusation. Truth is important in my life. I'd like to think it is important in yours.

Dear Oph, One of the best things about message boards is that you can choose to reply or not. I choose not to reply.

In Love,
Aman

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I think the Arc story might be used as an example of an allegory of natural selection of moral algorithms. The sinners are they who don't replicate ("are washed away") and the chosen, the righteous, are they whom nature (God) has selected (in the arc they and their ways survive). So the arc becomes an analogy for the two parent family on it's journey amidst the failures of this world.

Who knows the intention of the bible writers, maybe they saw the Gilgamesh epic, and saw themselves trying to formulate an ethos of survival and flourishing, of positive life. The idea that sinners were destroyed chimed in with their gut feelings about the nature and function of morality in the face of the mysterious world around them.

It would be also be the righteous, the wise and "godly" whom would ward over the animals in generations to come. So we have a pre Darwinian moraility that sees survival and fitness resulting from moral life, but views selective processes anthropomorphically, ie via the actions of a intelligent theistic God rather than "blind nature" or natural forces. But the flood, as a natural event albeit in the hands of God, reminds us that nature is at play.

Last edited:
Upvote 0