Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
What I like to call the Bible's chapter on "free will" & Calvinism is Deuteronomy 30.

[Deu 30:1, 6, 11-15, 19 NASB20] 1 "So it will be when all of these things have come upon you, the blessing and the curse which I have placed before you, and you call [them] to mind in all the nations where the LORD your God has scattered you, ... 6 "Moreover, the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the hearts of your descendants (zera, seed, singular), to love the LORD your God with all your heart and all your soul, so that you may live. ... 11 "For this commandment which I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it far away. 12 "It is not in heaven, that you could say, 'Who will go up to heaven for us and get it for us, and proclaim it to us, so that we may follow it?' 13 "Nor is it beyond the sea, that you could say, 'Who will cross the sea for us and get it for us and proclaim it to us, so that we may follow it?' 14 "On the contrary, the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may follow it. 15 "See, I have placed before you today life and happiness, and death and adversity, ... 19 "I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have placed before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants (seed, singular, zera),
3 times in this chapter it says that the choice for salvation (life & death) is a choice that God sets before man. It says the choice is not made in heaven, and is not too difficult for you to make on your own. It says you do not need heaven to come down and make you hear (the gospel) so that you can believe it and follow it.

Literally, the only defense to this I've ever been able to get from Calvinists (in years of making this argument) is that this is the Old Testament and only applies to the Jews. To curtail that line of reasoning, let me bring in the Apostle Paul's take on Deuteronomy 30 (neverminded the context is "circumcision of the heart").
Well, no, it does not say the choice was not made in heaven. All it says is that the choice is available to them to make 'here and now'. But that is hardly the point. God did choose it before the foundation of the world, but that doesn't deny that we do indeed make a real choice in the matter.

So far, I have insisted, (though I too have heard from more than one of a Calvinistic or Reformed persuasion that it is different for those pre-Calvary), on the principle given in Romans 8 (and elsewhere), and have yet to be persuaded otherwise, that the heart of flesh is incapable of choosing Christ. That does not imply that they do not choose, but that, as @Clare73 says, the unregenerate freely and ALWAYS choose according to their inclinations. I do not agree that there are, nor even have been, 'other ways' to submit to Christ, nor to God's law, but by the Spirit of God.

[Rom 10:5-13 NASB20] 5 For Moses writes of the righteousness that is based on the Law, that the person who performs them will live by them. 6 But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: "DO NOT SAY IN YOUR HEART, 'WHO WILL GO UP INTO HEAVEN?' (that is, to bring Christ down), 7 or 'Who will descend into the abyss?' (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead)." 8 But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART"--that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus [as] Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart [a person] believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, "WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE PUT TO SHAME." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same [Lord] is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; 13 for "EVERYONE WHO CALLS ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED."
So Paul says the choice discussed in Deuteronomy 30 is regarding the righteousness based on faith, and that it is the word of faith that they are preaching. Paul says "do not say" that you need the Holy Spirit to indwell you to help you hear the gospel and believe. You can make this choice ... it is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach.

While I wouldn't call it free will... I would say that God has given man a distinct, binary choice between life and death and commanded him to choose. Just in case he is daft, God gives man a hint; choose life.

And, but for the Grace of God, man always chooses death.

But as to faith: Again, our faith, in a sense isn't even ours —if it is salvific faith, like that of Abraham. It is the work of the Spirit of God within. Only God has the understanding and knowledge to know just what it is we are committing to, and the nature of the sin we are abandoning, and what the work of Christ entailed in accomplishing the salvation of those who were at enmity with God. Salvific faith is generated by the Spirit of God, not by the desire or will of man. And only the Spirit of God can keep it. And only God can make anyone faithful. The facts of the weakness, ignorance, rebellion and desire for self-determination, and the foolishness of man stare us in the face daily. Only the Spirit of God can make our repentance, submission and obedience, and our love and dedication real. Man is incapable of generating salvific faith.

The "core of the Gospel" to put it in human terms, is the Grace of God. There has only ever been one Gospel.

Now here is something interesting. I saw an debate once with Dr James White (Calvinist) who argued about the 'monergistic' vs 'synergistic' nature of salvation. He said there wasn't a single verse in the Bible that indicated a synergistic model of salvation. But that seemed off to me... especially given what we know of the binary choice God gives man regarding the righteousness which comes through faith.

[Deu 30:19 NASB20] 19 "I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have placed before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants,
[Rom 8:15-17 NASB20] 15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons [and daughters] by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!" 16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with [Him] so that we may also be glorified with [Him.]

• Agree
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Clare has lied. If you look at post #114, you will see I quote Clare's post from post #113.
Not quite. . .
If you will look at "my" post in your post of #114, you will see it doesn't even resemble my post #113 which it "quotes."
The confusion is through no "fault" of my own.
She went back later and edited her post and removed it, but the quote still remains in my quote of her original post.
Would that I had simply "removed" it. . .sure would have saved me time.
However after I posted it, I noticed an error and went back to correct it, whereupon my lovely &#$% deleted the whole darn thing, and I had to do it all over, doing it somewhat differently then. You will note that you responded during the time I was rewriting it, you responding to a post I had lost and me having to write a new one, not knowing that at the same time you were composing a response to the deleted one.
Clare said:
"Physical death and spiritual death are not of the same order.
Spiritual death is no eternal life.
Jesus is eternal life (John 14:6; John 1:28).
God did not annihilate Jesus on the cross causing him to die spiritually--to lose eternal life,
nor did Jesus annihilate himself on the cross.

The following from the NT teaching on the consequential difference between physical death and spiritual death is going to take some serious thinking through:

I. Physical death is to be without natural life, spiritual death is to be without eternal life.
We are born in spiritual death--without eternal life.
We are spiritually reborn into eternal life by the sovereign operation of the Holy Spirit (John 3:7-8)."
She clearly was using annihilation as a definition for spiritual death. I don't use that term because it's unbiblical and I rarely encounter people who believe it, so using
the term is not ever part of my arguments.
That's good to know. . .

However, the subject under discussion was the spiritual death of Jesus, not of mankind.
She was using annihilation as the necessary meaning of spiritual death, for Jesus only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Now here is something interesting. I saw an debate once with Dr James White (Calvinist) who argued about the 'monergistic' vs 'synergistic' nature of salvation. He said there wasn't a single verse in the Bible that indicated a synergistic model of salvation. But that seemed off to me... especially given what we know of the binary choice God gives man regarding the righteousness which comes through faith.

To the natural man, synergism is always the way of it, unless atheistically taken. I know James White well enough to know that he doesn't deny choice, but rather insists on it, but that apart from the Spirit of God, the only choice ever made is contrary to God, no matter how good it appears to be. Monergism doesn't say that man does not choose, but that his choice in salvation is subsequent to the Spirit of God transforming him. God has already, by himself, without asking permission, done the work, made the change of heart, necessary to make a fallen human able to choose him. Further doctrine shows that not only can the regenerate choose God, but that he WILL choose God.

Synergism, contrary to some vague definitions, claims that the work of God alone is not enough to effect salvation, but that it is increased or bettered, added to, by the will of man. Assuming synergism, some quite logically conclude that the eternal destiny of the believer-to-be is "100% up to you".

• Agree
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
The meaning of words always depends on context. You can't use the context of Romans 8:3 to interpret the meaning of 2Co 5:21.
You most certainly CAN! In fact, you can use the whole of Scripture in interpreting the meaning of any part of Scripture, and particularly those parts of Scripture that the same Paul wrote. And no, I'm not saying that the context of Romans 8:3 is all one need consider in a proper exegesis of 2 Corinthians 5:21.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
You make an illogical assumption that a man with one dominant nature cannot violate that nature.
You are monumentally wrong here. I assume no such thing concerning the regenerate man. Daily I am rudely reminded of it.

As to the unregenerate, they do not merely have a dominant nature, but a pervasive heart of flesh that is at constant enmity with God. You have not shown otherwise. You only assert that they can somehow do something to please God, contrary to Romans 8. Our peace with God, as opposed to enmity, is through the work of Christ, not by the will of man.

Romans 5:6 says we were still powerless when Christ died for us. UNABLE to choose God, no matter how much we may suppose our choice was submission.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, no, it does not say the choice was not made in heaven.

[Deu 30:11-12 NASB20] 11 "For this commandment which I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it far away. 12 "It is not in heaven, that you could say, 'Who will go up to heaven for us and get it for us, and proclaim it to us, so that we may follow it?'​

All it says is that the choice is available to them to make 'here and now'. But that is hardly the point. God did choose it before the foundation of the world, but that doesn't deny that we do indeed make a real choice in the matter.

When you think about it, this is exactly what Calvinists say -- that the Holy Spirit has to proclaim the gospel and make them hear it and believe it ... this is exactly what verse 12 says... "who will go up to heaven for us and get it for us and make us hear it so that we can follow it."

So far, I have insisted, (though I too have heard from more than one of a Calvinistic or Reformed persuasion that it is different for those pre-Calvary), on the principle given in Romans 8 (and elsewhere), and have yet to be persuaded otherwise, that the heart of flesh is incapable of choosing Christ. That does not imply that they do not choose, but that, as @Clare73 says, the unregenerate freely and ALWAYS choose according to their inclinations. I do not agree that there are, nor even have been, 'other ways' to submit to Christ, nor to God's law, but by the Spirit of God.

It's odd to me because people will believe anything. If you ask anyone if they want to die or live forever, the vast majority would say they want eternal life. Then tell them how and some will say "no thanks" but some will try anything. You can accidentally get people to believe. If you take a look at some denominations (like Word of Faith, for example) who essentially bribe people with prosperity doctrines, they convince a lot of people that its in their best interest to believe. So the notion that people can't be convinced it is in their best interest to believe the gospel seems far fetched to me.

Additionally, this is one reason why I say that the connection between faith and righteousness is indirect. Faith actually qualifies us for adoption as descendants of Abraham. God promised Abraham that his descendants would inherit the righteousness he was credited with. So while faith does lead to righteousness, it is indirect rather than direct with faith first qualifying one for human adoption before proceeding to righteousness. You don't need regeneration or the indwelling of the Holy Spirit to achieve human adoption. So then it is God's promise to Abraham which motivates Him to make the believer righteous, not their faith. Calvin worried that a depraved person couldn't influence God... well he doesn't... God's own promise motivates God.

And, but for the Grace of God, man always chooses death.
If you asked 10 unsaved people if they could choose between life or death, which do you think they would tell you they want for themselves?

But as to faith: Again, our faith, in a sense isn't even ours —if it is salvific faith, like that of Abraham. It is the work of the Spirit of God within. Only God has the understanding and knowledge to know just what it is we are committing to, and the nature of the sin we are abandoning, and what the work of Christ entailed in accomplishing the salvation of those who were at enmity with God. Salvific faith is generated by the Spirit of God, not by the desire or will of man. And only the Spirit of God can keep it. And only God can make anyone faithful. The facts of the weakness, ignorance, rebellion and desire for self-determination, and the foolishness of man stare us in the face daily. Only the Spirit of God can make our repentance, submission and obedience, and our love and dedication real. Man is incapable of generating salvific faith.

The "core of the Gospel" to put it in human terms, is the Grace of God. There has only ever been one Gospel.
Abraham didn't have the Spirit of God within, and never did for his entire life. It was something promised to his seed. He was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, not in his heart.

[Gal 3:14, 16, 19 NASB20] 14 in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham would come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. ... 16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, "And to seeds," as [one would in referring] to many, but [rather] as [in referring] to one, "And to your seed," that is, Christ. ... 19 Why the Law then? It was added on account of the violations, having been ordered through angels at the hand of a mediator, until the Seed would come to whom the promise had been made.
Monergism doesn't say that man does not choose, but that his choice in salvation is subsequent to the Spirit of God transforming him.

Fair enough. But even a broken clock is right twice a day. Just as Adam violated his nature to perform sin without ever having or knowing the sin nature, a person who has the knowledge of good and evil can once in a while choose good. We all know this is true because we've all known unsaved people who have done 'good' things, loved on people, or done what was right now and then. I know some unsaved people who seem like better Christians than some Christians I know.

Synergism, contrary to some vague definitions, claims that the work of God alone is not enough to effect salvation, but that it is increased or bettered, added to, by the will of man. Assuming synergism, some quite logically conclude that the eternal destiny of the believer-to-be is "100% up to you".

If I had oatmeal or pancakes for my daughter's breakfast, and I didn't tell her these choices, but let her try to come to a decision on them on her own, yes that could be true. But God didn't do that, just as I as a Father wouldn't do that. God told us the choices and commanded us to choose between them. Just like me telling my kid you can have oatmeal or pancakes. My child can't then choose steak and eggs (so no "free will") but she can select between the two options I've given her. But I could give a hint and say "FYI, the pancakes are amazing... choose those!" This is also what God does... "I have set before you life & death, the blessing and the curse.... so choose life."

The meaning of words always depends on context. You can't use the context of Romans 8:3 to interpret the meaning of 2Co 5:21.
You most certainly CAN! In fact, you can use the whole of Scripture in interpreting the meaning of any part of Scripture, and particularly those parts of Scripture that the same Paul wrote. And no, I'm not saying that the context of Romans 8:3 is all one need consider in a proper exegesis of 2 Corinthians 5:21.
What I mean is if you want to know what a word means in the context of 2Co 5:21 you can't use the context of Romans 8:3 to determine the contextual meaning of a word in 2Co 5:21. What I'm saying is that Clare absolutely tried to use the context of Romans 8:3 for a proper exegesis of 2Co 5:21. She used a word that ONLY appears in Romans 8:3 and not in 2Co 5:21 (peri) to say that the best exegesis of 2Co 5:21 is that "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin" should be rendered "He made Him who knew no sin to be an offering for sin" when the word translated as offering (peri) only appears in Romans 8:3 and does not appear in 2Co 5:21. Further, that peri doesn't even mean 'offering,' it means "concerning" or "about" but the translators insert it as "an offering" to conform it to an English sentence structure though the word "offering" is not even found in Romans 8:3!

She's building an exegesis of 2Co 5:21 on a translation insert that literally doesn't actually appear in either verse! I think that is actually called eisegesis! Yikes!

You are monumentally wrong here. I assume no such thing concerning the regenerate man. Daily I am rudely reminded of it.

As to the unregenerate, they do not merely have a dominant nature, but a pervasive heart of flesh that is at constant enmity with God. You have not shown otherwise. You only assert that they can somehow do something to please God, contrary to Romans 8. Our peace with God, as opposed to enmity, is through the work of Christ, not by the will of man.

Romans 5:6 says we were still powerless when Christ died for us. UNABLE to choose God, no matter how much we may suppose our choice was submission.
For what it's worth, let me give you what God has shown me about Romans 7 leading into Romans 8.

[Rom 7:15-25 NASB20] 15 For I do not understand what I am doing; for I am not practicing what I want [to do,] but I do the very thing I hate. 16 However, if I do the very thing I do not want [to do,] I agree with the Law, that [the Law is] good. 17 But now, no longer am I [the one] doing it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that good does not dwell in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good [is] not. 19 For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. 20 But if I do the very thing I do not want, I am no longer [the one] doing it, but sin that dwells in me. 21 I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. 22 For I joyfully agree with the law of God in the inner person, 23 but I see a different law in the parts of my body waging war against the law of my mind, and making me a prisoner of the law of sin, [the law] which is in my body's parts. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.​

My wife and I were discussing this one day and she said "what a cop-out! Paul is saying, "It's not me, the devil made me do it!" that's not fair." After pondering that a few seconds, I said that actually Paul isn't saying "It's not me, it's the devil" ... he is saying "It's not me, it's me." He recognizes two natures within him, but he chooses to "self identify" his real, true self as the righteous inner man and not the sinful outer flesh. Satan is called the accuser of the brethren... how many people "identify" themselves as their sinful outer flesh by saying things like "I'm gay" or "I'm a drunk" or even the Christianese "I'm a sinner." Paul goes on to say with his mind he is serving God, but with his flesh, serving the law of sin. He goes on in Romans 8 to talk about setting our mind on the things of the spirit so that we do not obey the desires of the flesh. It occurred to me that is exactly what Paul just demonstrated in Romans 7 by identifying the "real" version of himself as the one who wants to do good and the false version of self - sin in him - which wants to do evil. Does that mean he never sins? No. But he understands who he is in Christ.

[Rom 2:14-15 NASB20] 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law instinctively perform the [requirements] of the Law, these, though not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience testifying and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

[Gen 3:22 NASB20] 22 Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might reach out with his hand, and take [fruit] also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"--​

Even the unsaved do have a conscience so they are without excuse. They know both good and evil and can make choices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
[Deu 30:11-12 NASB20] 11 "For this commandment which I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it far away. 12 "It is not in heaven, that you could say, 'Who will go up to heaven for us and get it for us, and proclaim it to us, so that we may follow it?'
Where does that say that the choice is not made in Heaven? It is obvious the choice is made on Earth, but it does not say that is not made in heaven. Are the two necessarily mutually exclusive?

But meanwhile, your reasoning is faulty anyway —are you going to next say the choice is not made across the sea? It is not referring to choice, but to the commandment.

To add to that, is the fact that when God chooses —in fact, when he decrees— how is that any reference to a place where he does his choosing, and where he does not?

No, it's worse than just those two: how does God choosing imply we don't choose? How are God's choosing and our choosing mutually exclusive?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
It's odd to me because people will believe anything. If you ask anyone if they want to die or live forever, the vast majority would say they want eternal life. Then tell them how and some will say "no thanks" but some will try anything. You can accidentally get people to believe. If you take a look at some denominations (like Word of Faith, for example) who essentially bribe people with prosperity doctrines, they convince a lot of people that its in their best interest to believe. So the notion that people can't be convinced it is in their best interest to believe the gospel seems far fetched to me.
The devils also believe, and tremble. Acknowledgment and submission are no more the same thing than compliance and submission are. We are not talking about an intellectual exercise, here.

Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where does that say that the choice is not made in Heaven? It is obvious the choice is made on Earth, but it does not say that is not made in heaven. Are the two necessarily mutually exclusive?

But meanwhile, your reasoning is faulty anyway —are you going to next say the choice is not made across the sea? It is not referring to choice, but to the commandment.

To add to that, is the fact that when God chooses —in fact, when he decrees— how is that any reference to a place where he does his choosing, and where he does not?

No, it's worse than just those two: how does God choosing imply we don't choose? How are God's choosing and our choosing mutually exclusive?

Just how does God choose whom His holy people are?

Deuteronomy 7:6
For you are a holy people to the LORD your God; the LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for His own possession out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth.
7 The LORD did not set His love on you nor choose you because you were more in number than any of the peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples,
8 but because the LORD loved you and kept the oath which He swore to your forefathers, the LORD brought you out by a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.
9 Know therefore that the LORD your God, He is God, the faithful God, who keeps His covenant and His lovingkindness to a thousandth generation with those who love Him and keep His commandments;

Nehemiah 9:7
You are the LORD God, Who chose Abram And brought him out from Ur of the Chaldees, And gave him the name Abraham.
8 You found his heart faithful before You, And made a covenant with him To give him the land of the Canaanite, Of the Hittite and the Amorite, Of the Perizzite, the Jebusite and the Girgashite— To give it to his descendants. And You have fulfilled Your promise, For You are righteous.

John 6:64
But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was that would betray Him.
65 And He was saying, “For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.”

1Peter 1:2
[chosen] according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in the fullest measure.

John Calvin himself said of God’s predestined elect, “God has attested this [predestination] not only in individual persons, but has given us an example of it in the whole offspring of Abraham."

So even John Calvin recognized that God chose Abraham’s descendants as a group, and not each person individually. God’s elect (or chosen) are those who inherit the oath He made with Abraham. Those who are qualified as heirs of the promise or covenant.

Galatians 3:7
Therefore, be sure that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham.

Galatians 3:9
So then those who are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer.

Galatians 3:18
For if the inheritance is based on law, it is no longer based on a promise; but God has granted it to Abraham by means of a promise.

Galatians 3:29
And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise.

Romans 9:4
who are Israelites, to whom belongs the adoption as sons, and the glory and the covenants and the giving of the Law and the temple service and the promises,
5 whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.
6 But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For they are not all Israel who are descended from Israel;
7 nor are they all children because they are Abraham's descendants, but: "THROUGH ISAAC YOUR DESCENDANTS WILL BE NAMED."
8 That is, it is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are regarded as descendants.

Calvin didn’t realize that all Christians are saved by becoming qualified as part of the group of the “offspring of Abraham.” He mistakenly thought we all obtain righteousness the same way Abraham did – directly for his faith. However, this would mean that Christ (or some other sinless figures) would have to die once for each person who was saved – a life for a life. Because of inheritance, the 1:1 exchange between Jesus and Abraham can be multiplied to many. In the same way that we all inherited death from Adam, so too have we all inherited Christ’s righteousness. Christ directly exchanged (redeemed) His righteousness with Abraham, and then God promised Abraham that this righteousness would be an inheritance to all his descendants (those with the same faith in the gospel as Abraham).

A simple phrase that captures the idea is that Gold chose the offspring of Abraham as a group, and that group has open enrollment based on the binary choice presented in Deuteronomy 30. Those who choose to do what Abraham did and believe the gospel are considered offspring of Abraham and inherit the promises.

As Deuteronomy 30 says, you don't need to be regenerated to make the choice... it is a choice God commands us to make, not a choice God makes in heaven.

Notice above the passage from John 6:64. Those who quote John 6:44 and 6:65 always avoid 6:64 like the plague. It says WHY they can't come to the Father -- BECAUSE (for the reason that) they do not believe. It says Jesus knew from the foundation of the world (from the beginning) who would believe. So the faith is the cause of the election, not the other way around.

[Isa 54:1 NASB20] 1 "Shout for joy, infertile one, you who have not given birth [to any child;] Break forth into joyful shouting and cry aloud, you who have not been in labor; For the sons of the desolate one [will be] more numerous Than the sons of the married woman," says the LORD.

[Rom 8:15 NASB20] 15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons [and daughters] by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!"
Notice how Jesus treats the "offspring of Abraham" question in John 8. He tells the Jews there if they want to be qualified as the offspring of Abraham, they would hear the gospel he was preaching and believe in Him, but since they don't, they are not qualified as offspring of Abraham, but rather are offspring of Satan. He also confirms at the end John 8 that Abraham did in fact have faith in Him.

[Jhn 8:31-44, 56 NASB20] 31 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, [then] you are truly My disciples; 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." 33 They answered Him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never been enslaved to anyone; how [is it that] You say, 'You will become free'?" 34 Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly I say to you, everyone who commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 "Now the slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever. 36 "So if the Son sets you free, you really will be free. 37 "I know that you are Abraham's descendants; yet you are seeking to kill Me, because My word has no place in you. 38 "I speak of the things which I have seen with [My] Father; therefore you also do the things which you heard from [your] father." 39 They answered and said to Him, "Abraham is our father." Jesus said to them, "If you are Abraham's children, do the deeds of Abraham. 40 "But as it is, you are seeking to kill Me, a man who has told you the truth, which I heard from God; this Abraham did not do. 41 "You are doing the deeds of your father." They said to Him, "We were not born as a result of sexual immorality; we have one Father: God." 42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I came forth from God and am here; for I have not even come on My own, but He sent Me. 43 "Why do you not understand what I am saying? [It is] because you cannot listen to My word. 44 "You are of [your] father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he tells a lie, he speaks from his own [nature,] because he is a liar and the father of lies. ... 56 "Your father Abraham was overjoyed that he would see My day, and he saw [it] and rejoiced."​

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
So even John Calvin recognized that God chose Abraham’s descendants as a group, and not each person individually. God’s elect (or chosen) are those who inherit the oath He made with Abraham. Those who are qualified as heirs of the promise or covenant.

Calvin didn’t realize that all Christians are saved by becoming qualified as part of the group of the “offspring of Abraham.” He mistakenly thought we all obtain righteousness the same way Abraham did – directly for his faith. However, this would mean that Christ (or some other sinless figures) would have to die once for each person who was saved – a life for a life. Because of inheritance, the 1:1 exchange between Jesus and Abraham can be multiplied to many. In the same way that we all inherited death from Adam, so too have we all inherited Christ’s righteousness. Christ directly exchanged (redeemed) His righteousness with Abraham, and then God promised Abraham that this righteousness would be an inheritance to all his descendants (those with the same faith in the gospel as Abraham).

You go a long way around to make a false point. It is true that all believers are "offspring of Abraham". Yet somehow you make the GROUP the point, when the group is comprised of specific individuals. Like Arminians, your concept is that God chooses from a pool of possibles, only your pool is smaller. But you can't even allow that God makes the difference between the size of the pool! You have to have individuals qualify as being capable of choosing, in that smaller pool, and some, (apparently), don't(?) choose Christ. YOU give them authority or ability, beyond the plain teaching of Romans 8, for the same reason that Arminians do: "God does not change the heart, the Spirit of God does not indwell, regeneration does not happen, until the person gives God permission."

It all returns again to the same principle: HOW is a person at enmity with God, who cannot submit to God, able to give God permission?

Don't you realize that when Christ died for us, is when we were saved? No, the temporal timeline is irrelevant, but in the progression of logical causation: Christ died for us, the lamb appearing as it was slain from the foundation of the world, for those who were chosen from the foundation of the world, to whom God has shown mercy, of his own accord and for his own sake, in whom he has placed his Spirit. I'm not saying there was no group. But that group is made of individuals he MADE for the purpose (Romans 9), of comprising his very specific dwelling place, the specific members of the Bride of Christ, the Body of Christ.

There's nothing there left up to chance —another self-contradictory notion you may not have realized you have in common with Arminians. In the end of reasoning, if God (First Cause) has not caused something, then chance did, and chance cannot cause anything. There are no little first causes trotting about the planet, no matter what group they are in.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You go a long way around to make a false point. It is true that all believers are "offspring of Abraham". Yet somehow you make the GROUP the point, when the group is comprised of specific individuals. Like Arminians, your concept is that God chooses from a pool of possibles, only your pool is smaller. But you can't even allow that God makes the difference between the size of the pool! You have to have individuals qualify as being capable of choosing, in that smaller pool, and some, (apparently), don't(?) choose Christ. YOU give them authority or ability, beyond the plain teaching of Romans 8, for the same reason that Arminians do: "God does not change the heart, the Spirit of God does not indwell, regeneration does not happen, until the person gives God permission."

It all returns again to the same principle: HOW is a person at enmity with God, who cannot submit to God, able to give God permission?

Don't you realize that when Christ died for us, is when we were saved? No, the temporal timeline is irrelevant, but in the progression of logical causation: Christ died for us, the lamb appearing as it was slain from the foundation of the world, for those who were chosen from the foundation of the world, to whom God has shown mercy, of his own accord and for his own sake, in whom he has placed his Spirit. I'm not saying there was no group. But that group is made of individuals he MADE for the purpose (Romans 9), of comprising his very specific dwelling place, the specific members of the Bride of Christ, the Body of Christ.

There's nothing there left up to chance —another self-contradictory notion you may not have realized you have in common with Arminians. In the end of reasoning, if God (First Cause) has not caused something, then chance did, and chance cannot cause anything. There are no little first causes trotting about the planet, no matter what group they are in.
Arminius made exactly the same mistake as Calvin - he thought that all Christian’s are made righteous directly for their faith. This is why the debate has never been resolved. Both positions are wrong for the same reason.

How is a person at enmity able to give God permission? This question shows you’re not understanding my point.

The person at enmity is making a choice that leads first to human adoption. We don’t need to be spiritually or morally righteous or perfected for human adoption. God gives righteousness, the Holy Spirit, & life to the descendant of Abraham because of His promise or oath to Abraham, not because of the worthiness of the descendants. It is because God promised (and God cannot lie) that the unworthy descendants are given the gifts of inheritance.

Luke 19:9 (NASB20)
And Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because he, too, is a son of Abraham.​

This is something that many Calvinists (and Arminians) have trouble accepting... Calvinists believe that a believer has to be "made worthy" by God in order to receive Grace, and Arminians believe that man is worthy on his own. Both are wrong. Man is never worthy. That is why it is by grace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Arminius made exactly the same mistake as Calvin - he thought that all Christian’s are made righteous directly for their faith. This is why the debate has never been resolved. Both positions are wrong for the same reason.

How is a person at enmity able to give God permission? This question shows you’re not understanding my point.

The person at enmity is making a choice that leads first to human adoption. We don’t need to be spiritually or morally righteous or perfected for human adoption. God gives righteousness, the Holy Spirit, & life to the descendant of Abraham because of His promise or oath to Abraham, not because of the worthiness of the descendants. It is because God promised (and God cannot lie) that the unworthy descendants are given the gifts of inheritance.

Luke 19:9 (NASB20)
And Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because he, too, is a son of Abraham.​
This is something that many Calvinists (and Arminians) have trouble accepting... Calvinists believe that a believer has to be "made worthy" by God in order to receive Grace, and Arminians believe that man is worthy on his own. Both are wrong. Man is never worthy. That is why it is by grace.
God justifies (declares righteous, sentence of acquittal of guilt by the Judge; forensic) the wicked (ungodly). (Romans 4:5)

"Receiving grace" is not about "worthy," it's about sin debt (eternal death) being marked "PAID."

Justification is forensic--declared "not guilty," right standing with God's justice, righteousness imputed (Romans 4:1-11)--it is not transformative.
Transformation takes place in sanctification, through obedience in the Holy Spirit, which leads to righteousness leading to holiness (Romans 6:16, Romans 6:19), for

"Without holiness, no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:4)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God justifies (declares righteous, sentence of acquittal of guilt by the Judge; forensic) the wicked (ungodly). (Romans 4:5)

"Receiving grace" is not about "worthy," it's about sin debt (eternal death) being marked "PAID."

Justification is forensic--declared "not guilty," right standing with God's justice, righteousness imputed (Romans 4:1-11)--it is not transformative.
Transformation takes place in sanctification, through obedience in the Holy Spirit, which leads to righteousness leading to holiness (Romans 6:16, Romans 6:19), for

"Without holiness, no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:4)
(Against my better judgement, I'm going to continue discussing this with you in spite of the fact that I believe you intentionally lied and then deleted a post to cover up the truth. You certainly were the first one to use the term "annihilation" in this thread. That is not a term I use, nor something I've ever believed. You claim this was an accidental deletion, but told Mark Quayle that you never said it... these sentences are mutually exclusive so one or both are a lie. A confession is certainly in order.)

[Rom 4:1-5 NASB20] 1 What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, has found? 2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about; but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? "ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS." 4 Now to the one who works, the wages are not credited as a favor, but as what is due. 5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness,​

God does justify the wicked. And who is the quintessential example Paul uses when making this statement? Abraham. In the very verse you quoted, Abraham is the man who did not work but believed and his faith justified him and he was credited wtih righteousness. A man who never recieved the promise of the Holy Spirit, never was circumcised of heart, never was indwelled or regenerated. But you know what he was? He was made righteous without being indwelled or circumcised in heart.

Calvinists believe man must be made worthy (my words, not theirs) insomuch as they say a depraved man cannot choose God. They truly believe that a man must be made righteous (justified) and be regenerated (indwelled or circumcised in heart) BEFORE he can believe the gospel. I use the term "worthy" to show that this is not grace at all, but rather Calvinism is a works-based system which employs clever subtrifuge to put works on the back end rather than the front end. Non-Calvinists view Calvinists as extremely legalistic for this reason.

The truth is that the hearing of the gospel gives man the power to believe. Just as the hearing of ANY fact gives a person the ability to believe that fact. As Deuteronomy 30 says... he does not need the Holy Spirit to come and make him hear it and follow it. It is not too difficult for him.

But what does Paul say about grace in Romans 4?

[Rom 4:16-17 NASB20] 16 For this reason [it is] by faith, in order that [it may be] in accordance with grace, so that the promise will be guaranteed to all the descendants, not only to those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, 17 (as it is written: "I HAVE MADE YOU A FATHER OF MANY NATIONS") in the presence of Him whom he believed, [that is,] God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being things that do not exist.​

Abraham heard the gospel of Jesus Christ (Gal 3:8, 16). That was enough to qualify his unregenerate faith for justification. When we have the same unregenerate faith that he had, we qualify as descendants of the father of many nations.

[Rom 1:16 NASB20] 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

[Rom 10:17 NASB20] 17 So faith [comes] from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

[Gal 3:8 NASB20] 8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, [saying,] "ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU."
Without the Helper or the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Abraham had all the power he needed to believe because he heard the gospel. If it were raining and I said to someone "it is raining outside" my words would have given them the power to believe that it was raining outside. Similarly, hearing the gospel gives one the ability to believe the gospel to hearer. And who wouldn't want to hear good news? Though some things sound too good to be true, and many will not believe.

I do agree that sanctification is where transformation takes place, but this comes after justification. once you are righteous, the Holy Spirit can indwell you and help you become sanctified.

[Eph 1:13-14 KJV] 13 In whom ye also [trusted], after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14 Which is the earnest (down payment) of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.​

The sequence is clear. Somoene preaches the gospel, then you hear the gospel, then you believe the gospel, then you are qualified as a descendant and adopted, then you inherit rightoeus (justified), and then you are indwelled by the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
(Against my better judgement, I'm going to continue discussing this with you in spite of the fact that I believe you intentionally lied and then deleted a post to cover up the truth.
And then lied again about how the post got deleted?

Do you think "Calvinists" are prone to lying?
You certainly were the first one to use the term "annihilation" in this thread.
Mark had it exactly right (as usual) when he said to you:
"I take her to mean by 'it is his word' not that you said it first, but that it is what your words imply happened to Christ."

And yes, I
was the first one to use the term "annihilate" in response to what you were necessarily implying by "spiritual death;" i.e., loss of eternal life, of Jesus. . .and furthermore, I stand by what I said in using it; i.e.,
"God does not 'annihilate' Jesus on the cross," meaning: separation from God on the cross does not mean loss of eternal life in his spirit which, since he is eternal life, would be "annihilation of Jesus" on the cross.

At least you realize the heresy in maintaining as you do that Jesus, who is eternal life, suffered the loss of eternal life; i.e., spiritual death, in his separation from God on the cross.

That is not a term I use, nor something I've ever believed. You claim this was an accidental deletion, but told Mark Quayle that you never said it... these sentences are mutually exclusive so one or both are a lie.
A confession is certainly in order.)
"Confessed" above.
[Rom 4:1-5 NASB20] 1 What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, has found? 2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about; but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? "ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS." 4 Now to the one who works, the wages are not credited as a favor, but as what is due. 5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness,​
God does justify the wicked. And who is the quintessential example Paul uses when making this statement? Abraham. In the very verse you quoted, Abraham is the man who did not work but believed and his faith justified him and he was credited wtih righteousness. A man who never recieved the promise of the Holy Spirit, never was circumcised of heart,
never was indwelled or regenerated.
You do not know when the sovereign Holy Spirit regenerated Abraham.

What we do know is that no one can come to (believe in) Jesus (the Promise) apart from God's enabling;
"No one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him," (John 6:65) which enabling would be one's rebirth by sovereign act of the Holy Spirit (John 3:7-8).
It was likewise with Abraham. He could not believe in the Promise (seed, Jesus Christ) apart from God's enabling; i.e., the rebirth.
But you know what he was?
He was made righteous without being indwelled or circumcised in heart.
According to the NT text it was without the "good works,"
of Abraham's flesh (not his heart) having been circumcised,
when he believed the Promise (Jesus Christ),
whereby God credited (imputed) righteousness to him by his faith, not by his "good works" of circumcision. (Genesis 15:6)

And which is exactly what he does with all who believe. They are enabled (John 6:65), by sovereign rebirth of the Holy Spirit (John 3:7-8) into eternal life, whereby they believe in Jesus Christ (the Promise).
Calvinists believe man must be made worthy (my words, not theirs) insomuch as they say
a depraved man cannot choose God.
Precisely. . .however, he must be made able, not "worthy". . .a depraved man cannot choose God. . .which is NT apostolic teaching regarding the (unregenerate) man without the Spirit (1 Corinthians 2:14)--"he does not accept the things of God because he cannot understand them, for they are foolishness to him."
They truly believe that a man must be made righteous (justified) and be regenerated (indwelled or circumcised in heart) BEFORE he can believe the gospel.
Calvinists believe that spiritually dead men, without eternal life, can do nothing spiritual, and must be enabled (John 6:65) by rebirth IN ORDER to believe in Christ, whereupon he is then justified and indwelt by the Holy Spirit after his rebirth.
Note that he is not justified and indwelt until he is born again, believes and is saved (his sins remitted).

You are prone to misrepresenting "Calvinism". . .and to judging "Calvinists."
then I use the term "worthy" to show that this is not grace at all, but rather
Calvinism is a works-based system which employs clever subtrifuge to put works on the back end rather than the front end.
Which explains why you see Clare as likewise, with the Calvinists, "employing clever subterfuge". . .in regard to "annihilation". . .and which pre-judging is the meaning of "prejudice."
Non-Calvinists view Calvinists as extremely legalistic for this reason. loy

The truth is that the hearing of the gospel gives man the power to believe.
That is not NT truth, according to John 6:65. . .that is only GUP "truth."
Just as the hearing of ANY fact gives a person the ability to believe that fact.
So reception of spiritual truth by spiritually dead men is no different than the reception of natural truth by naturally alive men. . .more GUP "truth."
Spiritually dead men can no more hear and believe spiritual truth than naturally dead men can hear and believe natural truth.
As Deuteronomy 30 says... he does not need the Holy Spirit to come and make him hear it and follow it. It is not too difficult for him.
And as in the context of Deuteronomy 28-30. . .Deuteronomy 30 refers to the natural blessings and curses of Deuteronomy 28 regarding the covenant.
But what does Paul say about grace in Romans 4?
[Rom 4:16-17 NASB20] 16 For this reason [it is] by faith, in order that [it may be] in accordance with grace, so that the promise will be guaranteed to all the descendants, not only to those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, 17 (as it is written: "I HAVE MADE YOU A FATHER OF MANY NATIONS") in the presence of Him whom he believed, [that is,] God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being things that do not exist.​
Abraham heard the gospel of Jesus Christ (Gal 3:8, 16). That was enough to qualify his unregenerate faith for justification. When we have the same unregenerate faith that he had, we qualify as descendants of the father of many nations.
[Rom 1:16 NASB20] 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
[Rom 10:17 NASB20] 17 So faith [comes] from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.
[Gal 3:8 NASB20] 8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, [saying,] "ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU."​
Without the Helper or the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Abraham had all the power he needed to believe because he heard the gospel. If it were raining and I said to someone "it is raining outside" my words would have given them the power to believe that it was raining outside. Similarly, hearing the gospel gives one the ability to believe the gospel to hearer. And who wouldn't want to hear good news? Though some things sound too good to be true, and many will not believe.
As demonstrated above, Abraham's faith was not unregenerate.
I do agree that sanctification is where transformation takes place, but this comes after justification. once you are righteous, the Holy Spirit can indwell you and help you become sanctified.
Which is what I said:

rebirth/faith --> salvation --> justification (imputed righteousness) --> sanctification (acquired/imparted righteousness).
[Eph 1:13-14 KJV] 13 In whom ye also [trusted], after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14 Which is the earnest (down payment) of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.​
The sequence is clear. Somoene preaches the gospel, then you hear the gospel, then you believe the gospel, then you are qualified as a descendant and adopted, then you inherit rightoeus (justified), and then you are indwelled by the Holy Spirit.
Not according to the NT. . .no one comes to Jesus to believe the gospel without the enabling of the Father (John 6:65), which is the new birth before faith, in order to enable faith.
Spiritually dead men can do nothing spiritual, just as naturally dead men can do nothing natural.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Calvinists believe that a believer has to be "made worthy" by God in order to receive Grace
Wrong. The believer is not "made worthy". But grace is how they have faith, and how they are regenerated, which is what I take you to mean by, "made worthy". It is all the work of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do not know when the sovereign Holy Spirit regenerated Abraham.
And why do we not know this? Because the Bible NEVER ONCE describes Abraham as having been filled with the Holy Spirit. In fact, it seems to imply the opposite by saying Abraham was promised the spirit through faith and that promised was fulfilled in Christ. What this means is that Calvinists cannot claim that Abraham was filled with the Holy Spirit. But I can claim that the Bible never indicates Abraham was filled with the Holy Spirit!

What we do know is that no one can come to (believe in) Jesus (the Promise) apart from God's enabling;
"No one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him," (John 6:65) which enabling would be one's rebirth by sovereign act of the Holy Spirit (John 3:7-8).
It was likewise with Abraham. He could not believe in the Promise (seed, Jesus Christ) apart from God's enabling; i.e., the rebirth.
Actually this is absolutely incorrect. Calvinists have been abusing John 6:44 and 6:65 for so long while completely ignoring John 6:64 which tells us WHY ... which tells us the REASON they couldn't come to the Father, and it is the absolute opposite of what Calvinists claim. The disciples heard Jesus say that in John 6:44 and came to Him afterwards to further explain it... which He did.

[Jhn 6:64-65 NASB20] 64 "But there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray Him. 65 And He was saying, "For this reason I have told you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father."​

John 6:64 establishes a cause and effect relationship between faith and who is allowed to come to Christ and to the Father. It says "for this reason" - what reason? BECAUSE they didn't believe! Because they didn't believe, they were not allowed to come to the Father. Jesus knew "from the beginning" or from the foundation of the world who would believe and who would not, and that was the REASON they were or were not allowed to come to the Father! Their faith was the determinative factor. The Father has "enabled" (to use your term) those with who have faith to come to Him. The faith was the cause for whom the Father chose.

According to the NT text it was without the "good works,"
of Abraham's flesh (not his heart) having been circumcised,
when he believed the Promise (Jesus Christ),
whereby God credited (imputed) righteousness to him by his faith, not by his "good works" of circumcision. (Genesis 15:6)
And he was made righteous prior to circumcision. Circumcision of the heart would not be available until the Holy Spirit was sent on the day of Pentecost. So circumcision of the flesh was the 'type and shadow' of what was to come. It established the pattern of salvation so we could see how it would work when it came into full effect. It needed to be established when the covenant was made which was 2000 years before the Holy Spirit was given.

And which is exactly what he does with all who believe. They are enabled (John 6:65), by sovereign rebirth of the Holy Spirit (John 3:7-8) into eternal life, whereby they believe in Jesus Christ (the Promise).

Precisely. . .however, he must be made able, not "worthy". . .a depraved man cannot choose God. . .which is NT apostolic teaching regarding the (unregenerate) man without the Spirit (1 Corinthians 2:14)--"he does not accept the things of God because he cannot understand them, for they are foolishness to him."

Calvinists believe that spiritually dead men, without eternal life, can do nothing spiritual, and must be enabled (John 6:65) by rebirth IN ORDER to believe in Christ, whereupon he is then justified and indwelt by the Holy Spirit after his rebirth.
Note that he is not justified and indwelt until he is born again, believes and is saved (his sins remitted).

You are prone to misrepresenting "Calvinism". . .and to judging "Calvinists."

Which explains why you see Clare as likewise, with the Calvinists, "employing clever subterfuge". . .in regard to "annihilation". . .and which pre-judging is the meaning of "prejudice."

That is not NT truth, according to John 6:65. . .that is only GUP "truth."

So reception of spiritual truth by spiritually dead men is no different than the reception of natural truth by naturally alive men. . .more GUP "truth."
Spiritually dead men can no more hear and believe spiritual truth that naturally dead men can hear and believe natural truth.

[Deu 30:11-14 NASB95] 11 "For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach. 12 "It is not in heaven, that you should say, 'Who will go up to heaven for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?' 13 "Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, 'Who will cross the sea for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?' 14 "But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may observe it.​

You are literally saying the exact sentence Deuteronomy 30 says not to say.

And as in the context of Deuteronomy 28-30. . .Deuteronomy 30 refers to the natural blessings and curses of Deuteronomy 28 regarding the covenant.
As demonstrated above, Abraham's faith was not unregenerate.
[Deu 30:6 NASB95] 6 "Moreover the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, so that you may live.

[Rom 10:6-10 NASB95] 6 But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: "DO NOT SAY IN YOUR HEART, 'WHO WILL ASCEND INTO HEAVEN?' (that is, to bring Christ down), 7 or 'WHO WILL DESCEND INTO THE ABYSS?' (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead)." 8 But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART" that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus [as] Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.​

Now sure how you can deny Paul's words that Deuteronomy 30 is literally regarding the "righteousness based on faith" and the "word of faith we are preaching" and "results in salvation." Paul literally says "DO NOT SAY" the very sentence you and other Calvinists are saying: "" Spiritually dead men can no more hear and believe spiritual truth that naturally dead men can hear and believe natural truth. ""

It is really odd to me that you are unable to see what Paul says in Romans 10 about Deuteronomy 30. I can only conclude that you are willingly ignoring it.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
[Deu 30:11-14 NASB95] 11 "For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach. 12 "It is not in heaven, that you should say, 'Who will go up to heaven for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?' 13 "Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, 'Who will cross the sea for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?' 14 "But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may observe it.​

[Deu 30:6 NASB95] 6 "Moreover the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, so that you may live.
[Rom 10:6-10 NASB95] 6 But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: "DO NOT SAY IN YOUR HEART, 'WHO WILL ASCEND INTO HEAVEN?' (that is, to bring Christ down), 7 or 'WHO WILL DESCEND INTO THE ABYSS?' (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead)." 8 But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART" that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus [as] Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.​
Now sure how you can deny Paul's words that Deuteronomy 30 is literally regarding the "righteousness based on faith" and the "word of faith we are preaching" and "results in salvation." Paul literally says "DO NOT SAY" the very sentence you and other Calvinists are saying: "Spiritually dead men can no more hear and believe spiritual truth that naturally dead men can hear and believe natural truth. ""
It is really odd to me that you are unable to see what Paul says in Romans 10 about Deuteronomy 30. I can only conclude that you are willingly ignoring it.
If you would like me to explain it, just say so.

In Romans 10:6-7, Paul is using Deuteronomy 30:13 to explain the nature of righteousness by faith stated in Romans 10:3-4, that it does not require heroic feats/works such as bringing Christ down from heaven, or up from the grave.
In Deuteronomy 30:13, the context refers to the law, and
Paul in Romans 10:6-7 applies the basic principle to Christ, his easy accessibility by faith.

Paul is showing that righteousness does not come from works, but from simple faith (Romans 10:8-11), which is not at all hard or difficult, we do not have to climb or dive for it, it is plain and easy, a work done in us (heart and mouth).

Deuteronomy 30:13-14 are not about the righteousness of faith.
Rather Paul is using them to explain the nature of righteousness that is by faith; i.e., it is plain and easy.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
And why do we not know this? Because the Bible NEVER ONCE describes Abraham as having been filled with the Holy Spirit. In fact, it seems to imply the opposite by saying Abraham was promised the spirit through faith and that promised was fulfilled in Christ. What this means is that Calvinists cannot claim that Abraham was filled with the Holy Spirit. But I can claim that the Bible never indicates Abraham was filled with the Holy Spirit!

Actually this is absolutely incorrect. Calvinists have been abusing John 6:44 and 6:65 for so long while completely ignoring John 6:64 which tells us WHY ... which tells us the REASON they couldn't come to the Father, and it is the absolute opposite of what Calvinists claim. The disciples heard Jesus say that in John 6:44 and came to Him afterwards to further explain it... which He did.

[Jhn 6:64-65 NASB20] 64 "But there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray Him. 65 And He was saying, "For this reason I have told you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father."​

John 6:64 establishes a cause and effect relationship between faith and who is allowed to come to Christ and to the Father. It says "for this reason" - what reason? BECAUSE they didn't believe! Because they didn't believe, they were not allowed to come to the Father. Jesus knew "from the beginning" or from the foundation of the world who would believe and who would not, and that was the REASON they were or were not allowed to come to the Father! Their faith was the determinative factor. The Father has "enabled" (to use your term) those with who have faith to come to Him. The faith was the cause for whom the Father chose.

And he was made righteous prior to circumcision. Circumcision of the heart would not be available until the Holy Spirit was sent on the day of Pentecost. So circumcision of the flesh was the 'type and shadow' of what was to come. It established the pattern of salvation so we could see how it would work when it came into full effect. It needed to be established when the covenant was made which was 2000 years before the Holy Spirit was given.

Now sure how you can deny Paul's words that Deuteronomy 30 is literally regarding the "righteousness based on faith" and the "word of faith we are preaching" and "results in salvation." Paul literally says "DO NOT SAY" the very sentence you and other Calvinists are saying: "" Spiritually dead men can no more hear and believe spiritual truth that naturally dead men can hear and believe natural truth. ""

And from where does such faith come? From the death of fallen flesh, or from the Spirit of God?

The Spirit was not given before Pentecost? Is not the Old Testament replete with the Spirit doing things in people before Pentecost? Are the Gospels lacking in mentions of things the Spirit does? Why would David fear the lack of the Holy Spirit after his grievous sin, if he was not accustomed to its presence?

[Deu 30:11-14 NASB95] 11 "For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach. 12 "It is not in heaven, that you should say, 'Who will go up to heaven for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?' 13 "Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, 'Who will cross the sea for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?' 14 "But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may observe it.

@Clare73 is "literally(?!)" saying the exact sentence YOU take Deuteronomy 30 to be saying not to say. After all that's been said to you, including my comment that what is told them in your reference has to do with the commandment and not choice, you continue with your presumed meaning and, uh, 'mistaken' use.

BTW, in spite of any protests to the contrary, the commandment does NOT imply the ability to obey.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you would like me to explain it, just say so.

In Romans 10:6-7, Paul is using Deuteronomy 30:13 to explain the nature of righteousness by faith stated in Romans 10:3-4, that it does not require heroic feats/works such as bringing Christ down from heaven, or up from the grave.
Nor heroic feats like having the Holy Spirit indwell you and make you hear the gospel and give you faith to believe.
In Deuteronomy 30:13, the context refers to the law, and
Paul in Romans 10:6-7 applies the basic principle to Christ.
The context is Deuteronomy 30:6 - circumcision of the heart, which is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Paul is showing that righteousness does not come from works, but from simple faith (Romans 10:8-11), which is not at all hard or difficult, we do not have to climb or dive for it, it is plain and easy, a work done in us (heart and mouth).
It is simple faith, yes I agree. Mere human belief. Since the belief is coming from the heart, and since belief is required prior to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, we can say with absolute certainty it is belief generated in the soul of the unsaved or lost (depraved) man.

Deuteronomy 30:13-14 are not about the righteousness of faith.
Rather Paul is using them to explain the nature of righteousness that is by faith; i.e., it is plain and easy.
So you deny the plain teaching of Paul in Romans 10.

[Rom 10:6 NASB95] 6 But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: "DO NOT SAY IN YOUR HEART, 'WHO WILL ASCEND INTO HEAVEN?' (that is, to bring Christ down),​

Upvote 0