Forgiving others

I'm curious about how other people have handled forgiving others. It took me a long time to realize that forgiveness is not a 'feeling' but an act of obedience (Matthew 6:14-15).  I started wondering about this after I was raped/held 'hostage' for 6 hours, escaped, and the police shot the guy in my bedroom. I had to testify at the trial, and deal with the aftermath of what had happened.  I wanted to forgive this man. I knew it was what God wanted me to do, but it didn't FEEL like something I could do.  And it wasn't something I could do without God showing me that forgiveness is about Him being in control of things, and me not playing the ultimate judge; if God was willing to forgive this man (if he would ever come to God seeking salvation), who was I to have higher standards than God....I began to understand that it's about obedience, and not having unforgiveness in my heart, and leaving revenge/consequences to Him.  It was a process, then an act, and has been incredibly freeing.  I was sort of stuck in the trauma until I was able to let go of the idea that I had to 'feel' forgiveness.... it was almost a 'just do it' realization.....   anyway, just interested in hearing how others have handled situations where forgiveness is difficult, both by the situation and the understanding of what forgiveness is. ;)

wryan

Dec 25, 2002
Southern New Jersey
Visit site
✟348.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Hi Jillybeans,

I've been taught exactly what you said about forgiveness and I believe it to be true. That being said, I've never been in a situation like the one you described and I hope that if I ever am, I can have the God given grace to deal with it similiar to the way you did. God Bless. Bill

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
me neither.... um.... but yes, i've been in situations that made it difficult for me to forgive. :) though i didn't handle it the right way, i kept telling myself that my attitude was indifference... but it wasn't and it really hurt.

anyhow... it's all over now, God has turned it into my blessings, and as to forgiveness? in my case, it was gradual rather than sudden.

Upvote 0

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
I think what forgiveness all boils down to is to not be so concerned over what's been done to you, but to be more concerned with what will become of that other persons soul that has harmed you.

I did have have to forgive someone recently that hurt me realy bad, I knew right away that I needed to so I cried out to God and asked him to show me how, because I didn't have a clue how I could do it on my own. Then God showed me just what I needed in order to forgive.

Upvote 0
The process I went through in understanding forgiveness was gradual also (more like delayed reaction..... like 13 years of 'I don't wanna think about it but know I should' to 'hmmm, ok, I think I understand'). And it did become being concerned about his soul, and wondering if he'd ever  be open to Christian ministries in prison.  I've had people tell me that praying for him would probably be a waste of time (I always wondered whose time....seems this is right up God's alley, and I've got some spare time!!!)... but wouldn't it be incredible to meet the people in heaven who have hurt us, but were changed by God, and really used of Him?  (I honestly can't say I'd be too thrilled to see this guy before heaven, but if he's there, it'd be good!). I need to work on forgiving people in everyday situations- my attitude can be one of mumbled 'yeah, ok, whatever...', instead of stepping back, and remembering that my eyes are full of planks as well.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
WOW! WOW! WOW! From the first sentence, I thought this was going to be one of those "difficult" questions that was not going to have a "satisfactory" answer. But Praise God for the sermon instead.

The situation you describe has got to be among the most difficult for a human to forgive, and what a sermon you have shared.

I am glad you have opened this thread. I shall post some more here on this myself. Thanks!

Upvote 0
JillyBeans

Praise the Lord, firstly for him empowering you with the confidence and also to address the subject of forgiveness. Your situation is one that not many of us would ever have top experience. I have been held up at knifepoint and had a gun held to my head by someone high on crack and the fear and revenge in my heart after both situations was human but when I think back I am suprised how I could forgive.

What I have realised though is that forgiveness is a gift. A precious gift from God, first coming from God and then something that we can pass onto others. It is not something to be forced out of us and sometimes the road to forgiving, healing and recovery can be a long one.

This is a great topic and look foward to seeing more posts on this. God continue to bless you and wholly heal you, mind, body and spirit.

God is my Strength :clap:

Upvote 0

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
Originally posted by Blessed-one

anyhow... it's all over now, God has turned it into my blessings, and as to forgiveness? in my case, it was gradual rather than sudden.

Isn't it amazing how God can take a bad situation and show us how it has worked as a blesing for us?

I think in my case it had to be more sudden. In other cases I can clearly see where it may be a more gradual proccess. Everything happens in Gods time instead of our own. And not without reason.

Upvote 0
:bow: Yeah, I think God's timing in this was incredible.  Shortly after all of this happened, I thought about I 'should' forgive this man, and was willing in many ways, but I just didn't understand what forgiveness meant...I thought it was more of a 'oh, well, that's ok...it wasn't any big deal...', and I couldn't do that!!!! (go figure..).  Then I went through some years when I wasn't growing as  a Christian at all, and looking at some 'naturey' religion stuff (via people I was hanging out with at the time) which REALLY mucked up the waters!!!! I went through some other tough stuff, and in the midst of that, God really started working in my life (and I started to seek His ways and grow!), and helped me understand that forgiveness isn't about dismissing/condoning anything, but leaving the issue to Him.... (also He told me to ditch the shaman/nature stuff, and dust off my study Bible!!). But it was something I had to understand before I could do (is that lack of faith???).  I wanted to, but just didn't get it, and wanted it to be done with understanding so it wasn't  a watered down version!   At any rate, could you guys pray for this guy that he'll be open to hearing about the Lord in prison?? (he got 60 years for what he did to me, and is a prison 'frequent flyer', so parole isn't going to be easy- he also beat up a cop when they went to my apartment... that doesn't usually make the parole board happy!).  I no longer ask why, but how can I help others who have been in the same/worse situations... gotta be used for good!!!! 

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
I think many times we confuse feeling hurt and pain somehow with forgiveness. We can only feel hurt and pain if we love, and we are commanded to love. It's when we only want revenge, and stay angry with another person, because they have hurt us that we truly haven't forgiven them.

Jillybeans I will pray for him, and also for Gods blessings on you.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Originally posted by Stormy
Forgiving someone is about as close as we can come to being like Christ. We will never be sin free. But if we can learn to forgive those that harm us then maybe God can forgive us too.

This is where the so called Lord's Prayer can become a prayer we never want to pray without a forgiving heart. For we specifically petition God to forgive us as we forgive others. So if we are going to pray that prayer we better be sure we have a loving and forgiving heart that is clean and pure before God!

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think it's interesting that so many people know the Lord's Prayer, but not the 2 verses following (Matthew 6:14-15)....puts a whole different light on verse 12!!!  Those are the verses that really got me thinking about this issue, and opened up my heart to learning more from God on this topic.  A bunch of verses in Psalms (that basically say God has my back!) also helped a lot.  :clap:

I think something that made him harder to NOT forgive was that I knew his name (he was the uncle of  a baby I took care of- only  met him once before he conned his way to my  apartment).... and that made him more 'human'....  but no matter how 'real' or 'human' someone seems, they are still a potential (or maybe actual) brother or sister in Christ, and because God is willing to forgive them, I need to get off my 'lower horse' (!!!) and obey what God says about forgiveness.   :pray:  This was another example of how obedience is freeing- without forgiving,  I'd still be stuck in the cycle of anger/revenge/bitterness/ resentment, which would just keep the rape 'current' (even if not totally conscious), and keep me bound to the effects of what he did, and staying stuck is a choice I didn't want to keep doing!

Upvote 0