Feeling failure as a special needs parent - anyone else?

L

LaurieMomof3

First off, I have to say that my Seth is a very happy little boy that has come a long way. And I am super proud of all that he has accomplished.

It would take a novel for me to pour out my heart about this, and indeed, I do have hundreds of pages of journal entries about my son since we found out about his developmental delays.

He has come so far, and is doing so well. He is 5 now, and just started Kindergarten. He is in a contained classroom with 6 other special needs kids. He only gets mainstreamed for art, music, PE, and I insisted he got mainstreamed for Language Arts, but after 3 days of school, they are hinting to me that it probably won't work for him.

His biggest problem is NOT learning disability, even though he does have speech therapy, and he has a lot of problems answering questions. He is smart, and knows most of the basics that other 5 year olds know. He can write the alphabet, both upper and lower case, his name, a few words, etc. He can write all the numbers and count to 30. He knows his shapes and colors.

But what is keeping him out of the mainstream classroom? His attitude. If he gets it in his head that he doesn't want to do something, he won't do it. And will throw a tantrum, or become defiant/oppositional. We noticed this trend with him early on, and at first we tiptoed around it - because he was a 2 year old that couldn't talk! Then at age 3, we figured out that we were not doing the right thing, but even through our efforts to be consistent with our rules and expectations, his strong will to prevail over us has survived.

Here is a typical example of his behavior:
A few weeks ago, I went to his Sunday School classroom to get him so we could go to church. He didn't want to go to church, but go straight to Children's Church. Well, CC doesn't get dismissed until the offering, and I wasn't going to leave him in the nursery. I am trying to get him to sit in the service just like the other kids his age. We have been working on this since September 2006, so it isn't a new thing. He threw a tantrum in the SS classroom, to which I pick him up and make him come to church. I have to drag him several times on the way. He then proceeds to lay down in the pew and kick his feet, howl, crawl off under the pews. When it is time to sing he yells NO SINGING! I can't remember what he finally did, but I had to take him out and punish him. I think he slapped the hymnal out of my hand. This last Sunday he was an angel. It comes and goes, and I can never predict an occurance.

So this is the stuff he will do whenever he has to do something he doesn't want to do. Which is what he did in Kindergarten today at lunchtime. And when they took him to music. They had to take him out of music because he disturbed the class so bad.

My husband and I pretty much make him do whatever it is he doesn't want to do at home, but he does react with ugliness, usually with defiant meaness, like blowing a raspberry in our face or something like that. But all in all, we are consistant with having him obey, depsite the attitude that he presents.

So...God made this child, and He made me the parent. WHY on earth can I not figure out how to get him to do stuff? I feel like I am failing him. This is just mostly a vent, because I have already covered my fears through prayer. I am just hoping there is another Christian out there that can relate to the uncertainy and am-I-doing-the-right-thingness to being a special needs parent.

Reactions: InHisSpirit

CaseyK

Steward of God, Wife, and Mother
Mar 13, 2007
Texas
Visit site
✟7,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My special needs dd is only 2 but I am right there with you. Sometimes I just don't know what I am doing wrong and feel like I can't handle being a special needs parent. Then I just remember with God I can do anything and he is giving me this trial for a reason and he commands that I do it with joy! It isn't easy but we will all get through it.

I will be praying for you. Take care

Upvote 0

Katydid

Just a Mom
Jun 23, 2004
Alabama
✟11,023.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can definately relate. With a daughter with speech delays, ADHD and ODD, it gets difficult. And then of course, people who don't "get it" look at you like you are a horrible parent, so that makes you feel worse. When dd gets in one of her moods and starts yanking things off of shelves at the store and screaming in a high pitched voice while running through the aisles, yeah, I have days when I feel like I have no clue how to handle her. I dread the day she starts school.

Upvote 0

jkbaxter612

Oct 3, 2007
✟15,130.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I completely understand how you feel. I have a 5 year old that is so strong willed, stubborn, and when he wants something-he will let everyone know! You are *not* failing him. Just continue to be consistent and continue to pray. When he's grown you'll be so proud of the man that you raised! :)

Upvote 0

Dreamomto4

Nov 17, 2007
Kitchen
✟15,176.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You are *not* failing him. Just continue to be consistent and continue to pray. When he's grown you'll be so proud of the man that you raised! :)
Yeah, that exactly. You are doing just fine. Our children need limits same as any child. And it takes longer for them to understand the limits. It just does. Wiring or whatever, they sometimes need to be told 100 times when an another child only needs to be told 3 times.

I'm coming from years of experiance working with children with special needs, and three years of fostering one since he came home from the hospital with a list three miles long with what was wrong with him.

Then I took him home and started loving him for what was right with him. When he is doing wrong or hurting, I am firm in his defiance. He may not hurt others and he must obey. Otherwise he will never come close to independence and the quality of life we want for him.

Don't focus on diagnoses or behaviors longer than it takes to get funding and services. Focus on abilities and his positives. Encourage him when he accomplishes tasks. Go nuts over his little steps. Always comment favourably when he is acting appropriately.
Be consistent in responses.
Have high expectations - nothing will defeat you quicker than low expectations.

And never forget to ask God for the help you need, and take it when offered. My worst failing is to say no thanks when friends and family offer help, saying i'm fine, but now I've trained myself to accept all help from any source. That is often how God answers my prayers for strength - not through miraculously waking up energized, but through people.

Hope this encourages you a little, I do tend to run on a bit.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟208,362.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I also can relate....my girlie (5.5yrs) can be the sweetest angel, and after I blink she is knocking over her chair, table, books, just a general tear of destructive behavior. I started to take note of when these moods appeared, and discussed it with her neurologist, and neurosurgeon who directed us to an occupational therapist. She has since been diagnosed with Sensory integration disorder--which meant when she became overloaded by her external environment she lost control of her behavior. I do not use this as an excuse--like all things with our special blessings....the more we understand why they behave a certain way the more we can mold the behavior into acceptable behavior (I am still trying trust me!!)

One thing I picked up on in your post is that the two examples you gave revolved around music....have you tried to look for a pattern to his moods? Just kinda keep a journal of his good behavior, and the bad and the circumstances surrounding both. Hunger, external stimulation, weather, other children's behaviors, possible pain, and any other possible triggers you can think of. See if you can find a pattern, or take it to a docs appointment to see what they think.

When I read "The out of Sync Child" (http://www.out-of-sync-child.com/), it was a very eye opening experience that lead me to many answers to how my child ticks on the inside. I am still learning, and she is still having some bouts of uncontrollable behavior--but we are learning together the best way to regain control, and in general avoid or mitigate her triggers. We are also implementing a series of CDs that help children process certain sounds (frequencies) so that these sounds are no longer a trigger for her. She is very easily upset by chaos around her or loud noises. I see improvement since she has begun listening to this music with the special headphones....this must be supervised by an Occupational Therapist.

And yes, I do still feel like I fail her occasionally...despite my extensive research into her specific medical conditions, and the amount of time I spend with her. I suppose all parents feel this way sometimes, and it just can be more common for those of us with special packages.

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I feel like a failure ALOT, so i can relate! it isn't easy parenting a special ed child. All we can do is pray and talk to other parents that understand. its a hard, difficult life. God gave us these special blessings for a reason, i guess we gotta just keep on trying and not give up.

Upvote 0

CaseyK

Mar 13, 2007
Texas
Visit site
✟7,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think being a special needs parent is one of the hardest jobs around and God picked us for a reason!

I just watned to see how everyone was doing. I am personally glad that Holiday's are over and am hoping my dd starts calming down from all the hub bub

Upvote 0

etmama

Jul 1, 2007
Oregon
✟15,911.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I completely understand where you're at! My 4yo daughter sounds really similar. Just last night, my husband and I were talking about the guilt we feel when we are saying no more than yes. We have the Strong Willed Child, but does anyone know of any other resources for those of us with Strong Willed Special Needs Children?

Upvote 0

InHisSpirit

Veteran
May 20, 2005
South Carolina
Visit site
✟2,474.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am right there with you. I feel the need to explain when we are at a play ground or like at a Chick-fil-a play area that my son is autistic when the other moms start noticing a 3'5" 52 lb boy still in a diaper and only making noises instead of words. As soon as the looks start I tell them about him which usually breaks the ice. Most people ask questions since autism is such a hot topic these days. However, there has been a couple of times parents have actually taken their children and left!! Anyway, I think any parents with a special needs child that can go to bed and know we did everything we can for our child we have done our job. God has given us resources and we use them, but He has also given us ( I believe) special wisdom to go with our special children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CaseyK

Mar 13, 2007
Texas
Visit site
✟7,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
However, there has been a couple of times parents have actually taken their children and left!! Anyway, I think any parents with a special needs child that can go to bed and know we did everything we can for our child we have done our job. God has given us resources and we use them, but He has also given us ( I believe) special wisdom to go with our special children.

WOW, I am shocked that they would pick up there children and leave. That just teaches the child to treat a person with disabilities as if they were bad or contagious

Upvote 0

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can relate. My 8 year old has Asperger's Syndrome and he is in a self-contained classroom for the same reason.

I haven't been able to get him to sit through Church. He likes the idea of going, but he hates being there. He kicks the pews, bangs the kneeler, complains about the incense, pretends to snore....

Upvote 0