Feds need banks to help track Bible buyers

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟569,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
House Judiciary Committee

Bible Buyers Tracked by the Feds and Banks?

"According to this analysis, FinCEN warned financial institutions of 'extremism' indicators that include 'transportation charges, such as bus tickets, rental cars, or plane tickets, for travel to areas with no apparent purpose,' or 'the purchase of books (including religious texts) and subscriptions to other media containing extremist views.' In other words, FinCEN urged large financial institutions to comb through the private transactions of their customers for suspicious charges on the basis of protected political and religious expression."

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,248,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

"According to this analysis, FinCEN warned financial institutions of 'extremism' indicators that include 'transportation charges, such as bus tickets, rental cars, or plane tickets, for travel to areas with no apparent purpose,' or 'the purchase of books (including religious texts) and subscriptions to other media containing extremist views.' In other words, FinCEN urged large financial institutions to comb through the private transactions of their customers for suspicious charges on the basis of protected political and religious expression."
Cash can be a wonderful thing.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟34,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟218,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

They had no warrant for the searches. We have to start prosecuting the individuals who conduct illegal surveillance.

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK….so they were looking at “religious texts”…..which can be a large number of things. It’s not limited to the bible. It could be the Quran, the Veda, the Tipitaka, and other religious material. Christianity ain’t the only religion folks. Get a grip and quit being a bunch of paranoid lemmings.

• Winner
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟569,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK….so they were looking at “religious texts”…..which can be a large number of things. It’s not limited to the bible. It could be the Quran, the Veda, the Tipitaka, and other religious material. Christianity ain’t the only religion folks. Get a grip and quit being a bunch of paranoid lemmings.
You are correct. It is shameful that they are also monitoring other Americans of other faiths. I appreciate your pointing out these transgressions also. :clap:

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟70,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
New documents obtained by the Select Subcommittee on the Weaponization of the Federal Government reveal that the federal government flagged terms like "MAGA" and "TRUMP" for financial institutions if Americans used those phrases when completing transactions. Individuals who shopped at stores like Cabela's or Dick's Sporting Goods, or purchased religious texts like a bible, may also have had their transactions flagged. This kind of pervasive financial surveillance, carried out in coordination with and at the request of federal law enforcement, into Americans' private transactions is alarming and raises serious concerns about the FBI's respect for fundamental civil liberties.
In light of these revelations, Chairman Jim Jordan (R-OH) has requested transcribed interviews from Peter Sullivan, Senior Private Sector Partner for Outreach in the Strategic Partner Engagement Section of the FBI, and Noah Bishoff, former Director of the Office of Stakeholder Integration and Engagement in the Strategic Operations Division of the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN).
The above quotes, with links attached inside the quotes, are from the first post of the article in this thread.

The above link here is a letter from Congressman Jim Jordan to Noah Bishoff. I believe that Jim Jordan has a very good, and solid reputation amongst Republicans and also conservatives. If he is concerned about this topic, then so am I.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟218,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They have been going after Christians, we will see. But of course the point is that there is no warrant and it is illegal to do snooping without a warrant. I've been a critic of abuses by federal agencies for a long, long time. Virtually nothing impactful has been done.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟701,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's a 4th amendment violation coupled with making religious lists - it's like making the Jews in Germany register, except they are registering us according to our purchases instead of what we say.

They are also making a list of people who have ever bought MAGA apparel (like hats) and shop at sporting goods stores like Bass Pro and Cabela's...

For them to throw religious material in there too doesn't surprise me, it just combines the 4th amendment violation with a violation of our religious freedoms...

Kind of a double whammy that.

I guess if you've ever bought a Bible, shop at Dick's Sporting goods store AND own a maga hat your definitely on a list of people to arrest first...

Off to the gas chambers we go..

I buy religious material for gifts all the time... I may not do the rest but I do make a lot of religious material purchases because of gift giving..

They must think I'm a nut . Hahaha

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,248,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It's a 4th amendment violation coupled with making religious lists - it's like making the Jews in Germany register, except they are registering us according to our purchases instead of what we say.

They are also making a list of people who have ever bought MAGA apparel (like hats) and shop at sporting goods stores like Bass Pro and Cabela's...

For them to throw religious material in there too doesn't surprise me, it just combines the 4th amendment violation with a violation of our religious freedoms...

Kind of a double whammy that.

I guess if you've ever bought a Bible, shop at Dick's Sporting goods store AND own a maga hat your definitely on a list of people to arrest first...

Off to the gas chambers we go..
I don't own a MAGA hat but I did buy a Bible last year and I think I will go to Cabelas just to be sure I'm on the list. I've lived long enough anyhow so a gas chamber might be better than living through the continued downhill slide.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟701,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't own a MAGA hat but I did buy a Bible last year and I think I will go to Cabelas just to be sure I'm on the list. I've lived long enough anyhow so a gas chamber might be better than living through the continued downhill slide.

That's kinda where I'm at too! It's like, if I'm off to the gas chambers for being me then so be it. I'll share with them all I've learned from said religious material purchases while I'm on my way.

This country is just gone!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟153,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I bought my grandkids books for Christmas last year. One was Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea, one of my favorites. The other one was a nice KJV Bible. The small Hemingway paperback cost twice as much as the leather bound bible. I was fairly surprised. Then I figured the demand for bibles has sadly decreased substantially.

I paid with cash down at the Books A Million store so I'm not at all worried about this distraction from our judiciary committee. Shame we don't demand more from congress. Americans have real problems being ignored by our "leaders" in government.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I bought my grandkids books for Christmas last year. One was Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea, one of my favorites. The other one was a nice KJV Bible. The small Hemingway paperback cost twice as much as the leather bound bible. I was fairly surprised. Then I figured the demand for bibles has sadly decreased substantially.

I paid with cash down at the Books A Million store so I'm not at all worried about this distraction from our judiciary committee. Shame we don't demand more from congress. Americans have real problems being ignored by our "leaders" in government.

Bibles are often produced on a non-profit basis. I used to get the American Bible Society's catalog. Everything was relatively inexpensive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟41,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think that you're going paranoid.

If the guideline was looking for "extremist views", I don't think that
this would include the Bible. This country was founded by mainly
Christians, with freedom of religion. And that includes Christians.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟70,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think that you're going paranoid.

If the guideline was looking for "extremist views", I don't think that
this would include the Bible. This country was founded by mainly
Christians, with freedom of religion. And that includes Christians.
I believe that the progressive leftists Democratic Party leaders have an extreme amount of disrespect for the Bible.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟846,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Government surveillance is always a looming threat, and I think we should have as little as possible. But let's not be ignorant and act like this is some unexpected travesty. What indicators should one look for when trying to find religious extremists, who love guns, and want to storm the capital? Color me shocked, but the ones they lit upon make sense to me. If it bothers somebody, then don't be a gun worshipping, religious extremist who thinks storming the capital is cool. None of this is surprising. Try not to act like every day is your first day in this world.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟569,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Government surveillance is always a looming threat, and I think we should have as little as possible. But let's not be ignorant and act like this is some unexpected travesty. What indicators should one look for when trying to find religious extremists, who love guns, and want to storm the capital? Color me shocked, but the ones they lit upon make sense to me. If it bothers somebody, then don't be a gun worshipping, religious extremist who thinks storming the capital is cool. None of this is surprising. Try not to act like every day is your first day in this world.
Yeah, it's better to be secular, war-monger extremists who have killed hundreds of millions of people in the last 100 years alone. And do not forget that the secular nations of this earth abort over 73 million babies every year. That is a billion babies every 13 years. Billions. And let's consider that these secular crazies threaten the human race with tens of thousands of nuclear weapons - threatening us all with elo. These secular nations have the concept of "separation of church and state" in their laws.
Let's keep the religious/secular horror stories in perspective.
You are right:
"Try not to act like every day is your first day in this world."

• Winner
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟846,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, it's better to be secular, war-monger extremists who have killed hundreds of millions of people in the last 100 years alone. And do not forget that the secular nations of this earth abort over 73 million babies every year. That is a billion babies every 13 years. Billions. And let's consider that these secular crazies threaten the human race with tens of thousands of nuclear weapons - threatening us all with elo. These secular nations have the concept of "separation of church and state" in their laws.
Let's keep the religious/secular horror stories in perspective.
You are right:
"Try not to act like every day is your first day in this world."

That's right. Keep the alarm at such a high pitch so no one will notice that nothing has changed. Spare me, please. Why was Maximus also called "the Confessor"? Oh, that's right, he disagreed with his fellow Christians regarding the nature of Christ's will so they cut out his tongue so he couldn't speak and cut off his hand so he couldn't write. He was a witness, a confessor, to the peace and love of Christ. Yes, let's discuss the virtues of Christian imperialism and power. Does the Inquisition ring a bell? Have you ever read Luther's guidance regarding the peasants during their namesake war? If not, it's absolutely brutal. Christians do not have the market cornered in terms of brutality, but they do their own spot in that market where they have done plenty of trade.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0