Canada
✟16,064.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
For all Canadians out there...ISTM that our government is being SLIGHTLY disingenuous..they are reporting food cost increases in the realm of 2-4% increases over last year...except that in the last six months produce costs alone (fresh produce, not organic) have often more than doubled..

.Some examples: Apples jumped from an already high .99/lb to $2.49/ lb...one head of romaine lettuce jumped from .99 to $2.97...one head of celery from .99 to $3.47, a head of cauliflower from $2.49 to $7.99, and broccoli from $1.29 to $3.99/ lb. Butter is up consistently @$7/lb, eggs have increased over .50/dozen, and about the only things that have not skyrocketed are processed, packaged salt. We're in the Prairies, and are seeing reports of $7 celery in the Maritimes...I suppose if you average it out the increases are not too high, but oil is lower than it has been in ages (driving the low loonie) and yet our fuel costs are still high here.

The government has had several "expert nutritionists" ready to tell us how to use canned food (more salt and preservatives) and pulses because grocery costs are so high. I'm wondering how much of this is the Prairies, and how much is Canada wide, and, with such a short growing season, what do you all do to compensate? In other tight times people said "Don't eat meat, or eat less meat", but it is the produce costs that are the worst I've seen in a looooong time.

We stock up on fresh, non-processed meats, and have plenty of beans, lentils, etc., but what to do about soaring fresh fruit and veggie costs? We make a good income for our area, but it does unnerve me somewhat to go into groceries and find prices skyrocketing...and, to be truthful, both my husband and I are very worried about what those less fortunate than we are will do. (Yes, we donate to food banks).

I suppose this post is more about nerves and requesting prayers for all those on fixed incomes...the elderly, the poor, the new refugees...than it is about our personal economy, but truthfully I find it worrisome. Anybody else seeing this where you are, and how are you handling it?