excited!!

S

SarahAblaze06

wow i'm so stoked for this thread. i'm fixing to go into my junior year of high school and i am really wanting to start some early planning for what i will be doing after i graduate. i am definately going into the ministry one way or another and i would love to find a place that can give me a super strong background in bible headknowledge and spiritually is strong. i have been considereing worldharvest bible college, Pres. Rod Parsley. it is "a school of the spirit" and that is totally waht i am looking for and they are accredited (i dont know with whom) somewhere, but they seem rather in the beginning stages and don;t look liek that have alot academically to offer. i highly doubt this but i really want to go to a place that will eqip me in BOTH arenas. another super important aspect of deciding where to go is about the post-ed. career stuff... if they have ways that you can connect with people, meet people and have opportunities to get involved in things that will lead to bigger things-job's with/ in the ministry ect- i read the post "Do christian colleges get job offers?" anmd that tremendously helped out in this area. if any of you have/are attending world harvest bible college or know stuff about it i would greatly appreciate your healp!! also, if you have any sugestion for other more charismatic/christian/non-denominational/spirit-filled colleges lol--post here!!! thanks a million!

Nessie

The Prodigal Daughter
Apr 12, 2004
USA
Visit site
✟1,712.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Wow, it seems like you are me! I too am a junior in high school, looking for a killer Bible college... charismatic if possible. I haven't heard of that college, but I'll look at it, and see if it has a lot to offer. I was looking at Gateway College of Evangelism, but recently was told it's not accredited, and not a very good school. It's in this forum.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi!

I took a quick look at World Harvest Bible College. It is accredited by the International Christian Accrediting Association. I have worked in college admission for most of my professional life, specifically with Christian colleges for nearly 20 years. I have never heard of any of the colleges that are accredited by the ICAA.

There are obviously differences of opinion on these subjects, but I personally would have a very hard time encouraging any student to attend a college that did not have "regional accreditation" - there are different accrediting bodies throughout the US, such as Middle States, New England, Southern States, etc. By attending a college accredited by any of these bodies, you will easily be able to transfer your credits anywhere, go on to graduate schools, etc. If you are set on a Bible College, look for one that is accredited by the AABC - American Association of Bible Colleges. I think that is important becasue you will then be prepared to be used by God in a number of different ways.

I'm sure that many of these schools are fine places and are lead and taught by Godly people and you should check them out, but PLEASE, do not proceed and plan to attend unless you have also checked out Christian colleges that are regionally accredited.

World Harvest Bible College does indeed offer a very limited range of majors and an even more limited core curriculium: none! no English, history, world cultures, math, chemistry, political science.... Course work that most educated people consider as an important part of being a well educated human being in Western culture. They also do not teach Greek and Hebrew, which means that you are not being trained to look at scripture in it's original language.

By all means be well prepared for ministry! I would strongly encourage you to get an undergraduate degree (a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science) and then go on to a seminary program.

Please!!! I am not saying that these schools are not good schools. I am not qualified to do that, but as I look at their web sites, these are the important issues that jump to my attention. In my opinion (and that's all it is,) these schools would have to do some extrordinary things to overcome these limitations. As a Christian my heart is often broken by seeing undereducated and therefore unqualified Christian young people whose desire it is to help build the Kingdom.

Take a look at the list of member colleges in NACCAP - The National Association of Christian College Admissions Personell. They have colleges all over the country, both Bible and Christian liberal arts colleges www.gospelcom.net/naccap

Sarah - your shopping lists narrows things down pretty fast: "charismatic/christian/non-denominational/spirit-filled colleges"
Are all these features required? Can you live with a charismatic college that is in a denomination? How do *you* define charasmatic - I mean, you don't mean that you want the school buildings to speak in tongues, do you... so what is it you do want? Do all students have to have this gift? Do all faculty? Can you accept a college where all gifts are welcome but would not describe itself as charasmatic?

There are no right answers here - I'm trying ot get you to tihnk about what you really need.

Nessie: I hope you'll read this as well... I often present seminars on How To Choose YOur College and I teach a process that has proven helpful for many. many families.

Step #1 At the top of a blank page write: "The college I attend should..." and then complete that sentence over and over and over again. Nothing is out of limits. Put any and everything down that you can think of. This will take some time. Here's the one rule: everything you put down has to be measurable.

For example: many people will say "close to home". But what does that mean? Is within a day's drive "close"? "Within 5 hours"? "within 30 minutes"? You have to make "close" measurable.

"A pretty campus." is a common requirement - but again, how do you measure "pretty"? Break it down and think about what that means to you. Esthetics DO matter to many of us. Tall shade trees? Brick buildings? Open green space? Post Modern archiceture? Art work? Lots of landscaping?

You'll find that you probably need to define "Christian". Christians schools vary a geat deal - some admit only Christians, others admit non-Christain students, some require chapel, others offer it but it is not required, campus rules and dress codes vary, required Bible courses, Christian service requirements... What does it mean to you that a college is CHristian?

Following the rule can be hard, but it will help you a great deal. It will take some time - which is why it's so great you are both starting now!

The last step I'll give you is to decide which of the features on your list are REQUIRED and which are DESIRED. Sounds like you both are going to require that the college be CHristian... Perhaps one of you will require a private bathroom set up in the dorm, and the other might desire it. Make all of your features R or D.

There are other steps, but this is the most important one - coming up with your unique list. It takes time. As you visit schools and research them, the list will change, your R & D determinations will change, too. If you ar bold and brave, give this same assignment to your parents. They would write: "The college Sarah attends should..." and at some point, share your lists with one another! It can be a most interesting situation!!!

You can send me a personal message if you'd like to know the rest of the process...assuming that you are still reading this! LOL

Reactions: Nessie
Upvote 0
S

SarahAblaze06

thanks soo mcuh!!! lots of help. LoL- my shopping list- i was jsut giving a general idea towards the type of school i am looking for- the school in name by no means has to have all of these. =) but a school that focuses on many aspects of real life coorelated to dep spiritual impact. i am not specific on wether it is a "christian" college or a "bible" college- i have yet to see the difference/well i suppose one would focus on strictly bible teachings and the other a general christian platform. Well, thanks for all your help! I will continue in my search and use alot of waht you have told me. I am so thankful to have you guys here here to help!---Nessie, I was wondering if maybe we could exchange email adresses to sort of keep in contact on a different level than passing by each other on christianforums. it's great to meet others out there with your interests who you possibly could be crossing paths with in ministry/whenever in the future. well.. i'll go check out ur profile in a sec. talk to you guys laterz!!!

Upvote 0

Nessie

The Prodigal Daughter
Apr 12, 2004
USA
Visit site
✟1,712.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Colorado Christian looks good.... I'm going to add it to my "maybe" list. I'm keeping track of all the colleges I find that I like, so I can do a side by side comparison to narrow it down to a few later on.

Two things I'm worried about though:

1: I am a major perfectionist, and have worked incredibly hard to keep a 4.0gpa, and have AP credits and stuff, and some people would argue that I'm throwing that away. As much as I hate to admit it, I also have that fear.

2: I only recently decided to consider Christian colleges, and if I were to go into religion, it would be youth ministry. However, I'm not exactly sure what kind of jobs I can get with that degree and how hard it is to find a job. I always wanted to be a city planner or something, with teaching history as backup. But I'd also love to be a youth minister, I'm just not exactly sure of what all youth ministers do, and how to find a job in youth ministry.

Upvote 0

TheScottsMen

Veteran
Jul 8, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
✟8,995.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our college is accredited under ICAA including Oral Roberts University. We are currently working on accredition with North Central accrediting. Once we we accredited with them(VERY SOON!) our standing will be no different than other 4 year colleges.

We do in class and online classes. My college addy is below

http://www.maranathacollege.net

http://www.maranathacollege.net

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey, all!

A Bible college is a college where all students major in Bible. There may be additional majors offered (for double majors or minors) or smaller programs. Some Bible College other majors are all ministry oriented and at others, they are broader. Most students there are preparing for ministry.

Christian Liberal Arts college (That does not mean it's "liberal" as opposed to "conservative" - you probably already knew that, but I can tell you from experience, not everyone does!) The term comes from the idea that studying a wide range of specific subjects - math, literature, philosophy, science, history... - will "liberate" the mind.) At a Christian liberal arts college, the "core curriculium" is almost certain to include Bible classes , but more signifigantly than that, courses will be taught from a Biblical perspective and will explore ideas from a Christian perspective in every major. Majors range from Bible to equestrian science to engineering to nursing to political science, etc. etc.

At some Christian colleges non-Christian ideas will not be discussed. At others, it means that non-Christian ideas will be taught so that students are familiar with them and understand exactly what those beliefs of other are and why Christian do not share them.

Some Christian schools will teach one particular Christian doctrine as the only acceptable position for a Christian to take, and others will teach a variety of Christian perspectives. For example, some colleges may teach only 24/7 Creation. Others may teach a number of different Christian views including 24/7.

Does this help a little?

Upvote 0

Nessie

The Prodigal Daughter
Apr 12, 2004
USA
Visit site
✟1,712.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Yeah, it does. See, I would really like to go to a Christial college, but I don't know if I was meant to major in Bible or Theology or Ministry. I really want to major in American Studies or Political Science or something. So are you saying I should just not go to a Bible college? I don't think it's very likely that my major will be offered.... the only one I've seen where it is is at Abilene Christian University.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wheaton College also offers a major in American studies.

A Bible College will not offer you the courses you are most interested in. I am not opposed to Bible Colleges or tryiung to tell you not to go to one... but based upon your interests, I don't see how you could attend one.

I believe that God gives us our gifts and interests and the kinds of minds we have and that He expects us to use what He has give us. So, if you have a passion for government and law and political science, I believe that God gave that to you. (I'm not talking about passing interests... but things that really call out to us.) Serving God as an historian or political scientist or college professor in American Studies is no less of a ministry than serving on the mission field - you will simply have a different mission field than what most of us think of when we use that term.

If you attend a Christian college you can always double major and make Bible one of those majors, or have Bible as a minor or take Bible courses as an electives.

If you felt that God was calling you to a non-Christian college, you might want to consider taking summer courses or a semester from a Bible College or Christian college to supplement what you get at your other college.

What is it you think you might like to do after college? You may be able to get there from a wider range of majors which would open up the possibility of a lot more colleges to you.

You're doing some great work thinking about all of this keep it up!

Bliz

Upvote 0
S

SarahAblaze06

right now i am rather iffy about the next 4 or so years of life. i mean, all of my life is iffy, buuut this is sort of the immediate future were talking about and i would like to sort of have a plan. i am going to be in the ministry one way or another i do believe, but getting there is a big [ ? ] if i do go to college, i am currently considering a double major in psychology/bible(or some other more particular field of ministry). i know tis will be alot of work but maybe it will help me get a job in something i love doing as well as pushing me in the direction where God wants me to go. things are so hazy right now but i am very excited about the next few years, i have been waiting for them for a long time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums