Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, I know Catholics can believe in the theory of evolution but some (many?) scientists take that back as far as us starting out as pond scum or something. Can Catholics believe that? If not, how far back is permissible?
It’s all permissible as long as we believe God created us and we believe in a literal Adam and Eve. Whether God started off creating life with pond scum or not is not an issue.

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟161,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It’s all permissible as long as we believe God created us and we believe in a literal Adam and Eve. Whether God started off creating life with pond scum or not is not an issue.
I don’t mean to sound like I doubt you, but I can’t find anything online that says it’s ok to hold to the belief that many scientists are now spouting about human evolution starting as pond scum. Do you?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,762,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’ve posted on this before where the Church states it is okay to believe in evolution, no matter how it was done as long as God guided it. I’ll look later when I have more time but it really puzzles me how this topic trips you up all the time. Whether it be evolution or a literal read of Genesis, God is the Creator. So what is the problem? :scratch:

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,762,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For a second example, take endosymbiosis and mitochondria and chloroplasts. Endosymbiosis involves one organism living inside another, which can be horrifying if you think of things like tapeworms. However, it also is the fascinating explanation for how our cells can turn food into energy and how plants can do photosynthesis. In the endosymbiotic origin of key parts of living cells, simple prokaryotes (no nuclei; think bacteria) were taken up by larger cells and, over a long time, turned into specialized parts of those larger cells.

Mitochondria, including the ones in your own cells and those of plants and fungi and pond scum, seem to have arisen in this way. Mitochondria perform the most important part of extracting energy from food—without them, you could never use your muscles, for example.

They have their own chromosomes, circular like those of bacteria and not like the rest of your human cells, as well as bacterial-sized ribosomes, tiny machines that build the proteins which make living cells work, not human-sized ribosomes. These and other pieces of evidence say that mitochondria, the ones in your cells as you read this, started out as free-living proteobacteria and ended up as part of you.

That’s an evolutionary process.

Continued below.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,762,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟161,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I’ve posted on this before where the Church states it is okay to believe in evolution, no matter how it was done as long as God guided it. I’ll look later when I have more time but it really puzzles me how this topic trips you up all the time. Whether it be evolution or a literal read of Genesis, God is the Creator. So what is the problem? :scratch:
I don’t really know, but it didn’t help me, spending five or so years in the LCMS.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,762,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,762,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don’t really know, but it didn’t help me, spending five or so years in the LCMS.
I’m in the midst of posting info for you now. I hope it helps. But if not, you might want to discuss this with your priest. :praying:

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,762,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟161,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I’m in the midst of posting info for you now. I hope it helps. But if not, you might want to discuss this with your priest. :praying:
I forget if we were discussing evolution or something else, but my LCMS pastor said that he was sure the Catholic Church agrees with him when clearly it does not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,762,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I forget if we were discussing evolution or something else, but my LCMS pastor said that he was sure the Catholic Church agrees with him when clearly it does not.
People get a lot of misunderstandings about Catholicism through their various churches unfortunately. Not all is deliberate but it’s easy enough to look things up before confusing others. It’s been going on for a very long time. I’m sorry you have had to deal with confusion on these issues.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟373,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Okay, I know Catholics can believe in the theory of evolution but some (many?) scientists take that back as far as us starting out as pond scum or something. Can Catholics believe that? If not, how far back is permissible?
Since God says that the Earth brought forth living things, I assume Christians believe it.

Upvote 0