America
✟22,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
However, in context, "live" there (as in Galatians 3:11) means justified--declared righteous by God's sentence of acquittal of guilt.
"Live" does not mean the manner of or practices in living one's life.

And justification (declared righteousness) has always been by faith

dikaioo = to render just or innocent:--free, justify, be righteous.

Psalm 18, a Psalm of David
Psalms 18:20-24 And the Lord will recompense me according to my (δικαιοσύνη) righteousness, even according to the purity of my hands will He recompense me.[21] For I have kept the way of the Lord and have not wickedly departed from my God.[22] For all His Judgments were before me, and His Ordinances departed not from me.[23] And I shall be blameless with Him, and shall keep myself from mine iniquity.[24] And the Lord shall recompense me according to my righteousness, and according to the purity of my hands before His eyes.LXX

Isaiah 43:26 But do thou remember, and let us plead together: do thou first confess thy transgressions, that thou mayest be (δικαιωθής) justified.LXX

Isaiah 48:18 And if thou hadst hearkened to My Commandments, then would thy peace have been like a river, and thy (δικαιοσύνη) righteousness as a wave of the sea.LXX

Matthew 12:35-37 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.[34] O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.[35] A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.[36] But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.[37] For by thy words thou shalt be (δικαιωθήσῃ) justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Matthew 10:41-42 He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a (δίκαιον) righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.[42] And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold [water] only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Before one can embrace New Covenant theology, they will have to renounce their Old Covenant theology of works, laws and religion. Under the New Covenant Christians are justified by faith alone, works, laws and religions have been abolished and count for nothing, Ephesians 2:15 also Colossians 2:14. This is one reason why Paul said, "The just shall live by faith" Romans 1:17. Living by faith does not include laws, works and religion.

Under the New Covenant Christians will be focused on Jesus Christ and his Gospel, because Jesus is the end and the fulfillment of the Old Covenant. Paul said, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. Without the law there cannot be an Old Covenant. All religions are based upon law. Where there is no law, there is no sin, Romans 4:15.

Under the New Covenant Jesus has ALREADY defeated sin, death and the devil and now sits in heaven as "The King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16.

Under the New Covenant, Jesus has ALREADY reconciled us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18-19.

Under the New Covenant, Christians are new creations in Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:17.

Under the New Covenant, Christians are not subject to laws or rules, because there is no condemnation for those that are "In Christ" Romans 8:1. There is no condemnation because there are no laws.

Under the New Covenant, God sees his people as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. No laws, rules or religion needed.

Under the New Covenant, salvation is by grace (God's goodness) through faith, Ephesians 2:8. Plus nothing.

Many are living under the New Covenant, but they want to bring Old Covenant things with them, which is a perversion of New Covenant theology.

• Useful
Reactions: pasifika
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
dikaioo = to render just or innocent:--free, justify, be righteous.
That's "to render" by declaration or sentence of acquittal of guilt by the Judge.
Psalm 18, a Psalm of David
Psalms 18:20-24 And the Lord will recompense me according to my (δικαιοσύνη) righteousness, even according to the purity of my hands will He recompense me.[21]
And like Abraham (Genesis 15:6), righteousness was credited (imputed) to him by God through faith, and making him blameless.
The law was not given for righteousness, for righteousness has always been by faith (Galatians 3:11).
The law was given to reveal sin (Romans 3:20) and to lead to faith in Christ, whereby we are no longer under the supervision of the law (Galatians 3:24-25), but under supervision of the Holy Spirit who makes that law a part of our hearts.
For I have kept the way of the Lord and have not wickedly departed from my God.[22] For all His Judgments were before me, and His Ordinances departed not from me.[23] And I shall be blameless with Him, and shall keep myself from mine iniquity.[24] And the Lord shall recompense me according to my righteousness, and according to the purity of my hands before His eyes.LXX

Isaiah 43:26 But do thou remember, and let us plead together: do thou first confess thy transgressions, that thou mayest be (δικαιωθής) justified.LXX

Isaiah 48:18 And if thou hadst hearkened to My Commandments, then would thy peace have been like a river, and thy (δικαιοσύνη) righteousness as a wave of the sea.LXX

Matthew 12:35-37 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.[34] O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.[35] A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.[36] But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.[37] For by thy words thou shalt be (δικαιωθήσῃ) justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Matthew 10:41-42 He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a (δίκαιον) righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.[42] And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold [water] only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where is this New Covenant in the scriptures?
Jeremiah 31:33; Luke 22:20; 1 Corinthians 11:25; Hebrews 8:8,
Hebrews 8:13
(calling this covenant "new"), Hebrews 9:10 (new order), Hebrews 9:15.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Before one can embrace New Covenant theology, they will have to renounce their Old Covenant theology of works, laws and religion.

In Jeremiah 31:33, the New Covenant involves following God's law, so anyone who renounces God's law is not under the New Covenant.

Under the New Covenant Christians are justified by faith alone, works, laws and religions have been abolished and count for nothing, Ephesians 2:15 also Colossians 2:14. This is one reason why Paul said, "The just shall live by faith" Romans 1:17. Living by faith does not include laws, works and religion.

In Romans 3:21-22, the only way to become justified that is testified about by the Law and the Prophets is through faith in Christ, so we are justified under the New Covenant in the same way as the Mosaic Covenant. In Isaiah 51:7, the righteous are those on whose heart is God's law, so the righteous living by faith does not refer to a manner of living that is not in obedience to it. In Romans 1:17, it is quoting Habakkuk 2:4, which is part of the OT, so again the righteous living by faith was just as true under the Mosaic Covenant, and obedience to God's law is the way to live by faith. In the same breath you quote a verse in support of the righteous living by faith while also arguing against living by faith. When it comes to obeying God's law, you do not think that God should be trusted to correctly divide between right and wrong, which is the opposite of living by faith.

Again, neither Ephesians 2:15 nor Colossians 2:14 are referring to God's law.

Under the New Covenant Christians will be focused on Jesus Christ and his Gospel, because Jesus is the end and the fulfillment of the Old Covenant.

Paul said, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. Without the law there cannot be an Old Covenant. All religions are based upon law. Where there is no law, there is no sin, Romans 4:15. Under the New Covenant Jesus has ALREADY defeated sin, death and the devil and now sits in heaven as "The King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16.

Nothing in Romans 9:30-10:10 has anything to do with Christ ending any of God's laws, but just the opposite. All of God's righteous laws are eternal (Psalms 119:160), so God's law will always exist and pretending like there is no law does not free you to live in sin.

Under the New Covenant, Jesus has ALREADY reconciled us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18-19.

Under the New Covenant, Christians are new creations in Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:17.

Under the New Covenant, Christians are not subject to laws or rules, because there is no condemnation for those that are "In Christ" Romans 8:1. There is no condemnation because there are no laws.

Under the New Covenant, God sees his people as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. No laws, rules or religion needed.

Those verses are only speaking about those who are in Christ are all those who are in Christ walk in obedience to God's law (1 John 2:6), while your post is spent trying to convince people not to be in Christ.

Under the New Covenant, salvation is by grace (God's goodness) through faith, Ephesians 2:8. Plus nothing.

In Ephesians 2:8-10, we are new creations in Christ to do good works, which are the good works that you reject because you want nothing to do with being in Christ and walking in the same way he walked.

Many are living under the New Covenant, but they want to bring Old Covenant things with them, which is a perversion of New Covenant theology.

The New Covenant does not reject the God whose nature is revealed by the Mosaic Law, but rather it is made with the same God with the same nature and therefore the same law for how to act in accordance with His nature, and acting in accordance with Christ's nature as the way to be unified in Christ.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In Jeremiah 31:33, the New Covenant involves following God's law, so anyone who renounces God's law is not under the New Covenant.

In Romans 3:21-22,
1) the only way to become justified that is
2) testified about by the Law and the Prophets is through faith in Christ,
3) so we are justified under the New Covenant in the same way as the Mosaic Covenant.
Boot-strapping from NT theology to personal theology
In Isaiah 51:7, the righteous are those on whose heart is God's law, so the righteous living by faith does not refer to a manner of living that is not in obedience to it. In Romans 1:17, it is quoting Habakkuk 2:4, which is part of the OT, so again the righteous living by faith was just as true under the Mosaic Covenant, and obedience to God's law is the way to live by faith.
The righteous shall live by faith refers to eternal life in justification, not Christian living.
In the same breath you quote a verse in support of the righteous living by faith while also arguing against living by faith. When it comes to obeying God's law, you do not think that God should be trusted to correctly divide between right and wrong, which is the opposite of living by faith.
Again, neither Ephesians 2:15 nor Colossians 2:14 are referring to God's law.
Nothing in Romans 9:30-10:10 has anything to do with Christ ending any of God's laws,
It has everything to do with God's laws not obtaining justification (righteousness).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟767,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We still keep the Lord’s commandments as our living faith ( Acts of the Apostles 26:19-20). While we fall short in this, we must confess our sins as we go ( 1 John 1:5-10). The Lord affirmed the commandments as he told the rich young man ( Matthew 19:16-26). St. Paul affirms the commandments that are after the Lord’s cross ( Romans 13:8-10). Colossians 1 is a great summation of Who the Lord is, His cross for our atonement, & how live our faith in works to our hope of salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We still keep the Lord’s commandments as our living faith ( Acts of the Apostles 26:19-20). While we fall short in this, we must confess our sins as we go ( 1 John 1:5-10). The Lord affirmed the commandments as he told the rich young man ( Matthew 19:16-26). St. Paul affirms the commandments that are after the Lord’s cross ( Romans 13:8-10). Colossians 1 is a great summation of Who the Lord is, His cross for our atonement, & how live our faith in works to our hope of salvation.
We fulfill the commandments by loving God and our neighbor.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Boot-strapping from NT theology to personal theology

The way of becoming justified through faith in Christ is not something different than what was testified about in the Law and the Prophets, so that is not boot-strapping from NT theology to personal theology.

The righteous shall live by faith refers to eternal life in justification, not Christian living.

In John 17:3, eternal life is knowing God and Jesus, and Christian living is the way to know God and Jesus, so you are making a false distinction.

It has everything to do with God's laws not obtaining justification (righteousness).

in Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he might know him and Israel too, and in Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so knowing God and Jesus is the goal of the law. In Romans 9:30-10:4, the Israelites had a zeal for God, but it was not based on knowing Him, so they failed to attain righteousness because they misunderstood the goal of the law by pursuing it as through righteousness were by works rather than by pursuing it as through righteousness were by faith in Christ, for knowing Christ is the goal of the law for righteousness for everyone who has faith. Furthermore, in Romana 10:5, our faith references Deuteronomy 30:11-16 in regard to saying that God's law is not too difficult for us to obey, that obedience to it brings life and a blessing, in regard to what we are agreeing to obey when we confess that Jesus is Lord, and in regard to the way to believe that God raised him from the dead. So nothing in this passage has anything to do with Jesus ending any laws, but rather it is speaking against having an incorrect goal of obeying the law and about what the correct goal of obeying it is.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The way of becoming justified through faith in Christ is not something different than what was testified about in the Law and the Prophets, so that is not boot-strapping from NT theology to personal theology.
It is boot-strapping when NT apostolic teaching is that the law was not given for righteousness (Romans 3:20), because righteousness of eternal life has always been by faith (Galatians 3:11; Genesis 15:6; Habakkuk 2:4; Romans 3:20, Romans 9:30; Hebrews 10:38), not law-keeping.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
It is boot-strapping when NT apostolic teaching is that the law was not given for righteousness (Romans 3:20), because righteousness of eternal life has always been by faith (Galatians 3:11; Genesis 15:6; Habakkuk 2:4; Romans 3:20, Romans 9:30; Hebrews 10:38), not law-keeping.

You cited OT books to support that eternal life is by faith, so that undermines your position of the NT teaching something different than the OT about the way to enter eternal life. Eternal life is has always been by faith and the way to express that same faith is by obeying God's law, which is also why there are many verses in the OT and the NT that support eternal life by obeying God's commandments. For example, in Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him His way that he might know Him, and in John 17:3, eternal life is knowing God and Jesus. In Deuteronomy 30:15-16, obedience to God's law brings life and a blessing. In Deuteronomy 32:47, God's law is our very life. In Leviticus 18:5, those who obey God's law will attain life by it. In Proverbs 3:18, she is a tree of life for all who take hold of her. In Proverbs 6:23, for the commandment is a lamp and the teaching a light, and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life. In Romans 2:6-7, eternal life is given to those who persist in doing good. In Matthew 19:17, Jesus said that the way to enter eternal life is by obeying God's commandments. In Luke 10:25-28, Jesus affirmed that the greatest two commandments are the way to inherit eternal life. In Hebrews 5:9, eternal salvation is given to those who obey Jesus. In Revelation 22:14, only those who obey God's commandments are given access to the Tree of Life. In Romans 6:19-23, no longer presenting ourselves as slaves to impurity, lawlessness, and sin is contrasted with now presenting ourselves as slaves to God and to righteousness leading to sanctification, and the goal of sanctification is eternal life in Christ, which is the gift of God, so obedience to God's law through faith is itself the content of God's gift of eternal life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You cited OT books to support that eternal life is by faith,
so that undermines your position of the NT teaching something different than the OT about the way to enter eternal life.
Wonders never cease. . .

Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
You cited OT books to support that eternal life is by faith, so that undermines your position of the NT teaching something different than the OT about the way to enter eternal life. Eternal life is has always been by faith and the way to express that same faith is by obeying God's law, which is also why there are many verses in the OT and the NT that support eternal life by obeying God's commandments. For example, in Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him His way that he might know Him, and in John 17:3, eternal life is knowing God and Jesus. In Deuteronomy 30:15-16, obedience to God's law brings life and a blessing. In Deuteronomy 32:47, God's law is our very life. In Leviticus 18:5, those who obey God's law will attain life by it. In Proverbs 3:18, she is a tree of life for all who take hold of her. In Proverbs 6:23, for the commandment is a lamp and the teaching a light, and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life. In Romans 2:6-7, eternal life is given to those who persist in doing good. In Matthew 19:17, Jesus said that the way to enter eternal life is by obeying God's commandments. In Luke 10:25-28, Jesus affirmed that the greatest two commandments are the way to inherit eternal life. In Hebrews 5:9, eternal salvation is given to those who obey Jesus. In Revelation 22:14, only those who obey God's commandments are given access to the Tree of Life. In Romans 6:19-23, no longer presenting ourselves as slaves to impurity, lawlessness, and sin is contrasted with now presenting ourselves as slaves to God and to righteousness leading to sanctification, and the goal of sanctification is eternal life in Christ, which is the gift of God, so obedience to God's law through faith is itself the content of God's gift of eternal life.
You must believe that Paul is a heretic.

Paul said, "Knowing this, that the law is not made for the righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient" 1 Timothy 1:9.

The reason that the righteous man does not need the law is because he doesn't need to be told what to do. Do you need to be told not to sin? If you do, then the law is for you. A good son does not need instructions, he knows what is required of him and lives accordingly. A good son would never do anything to shame or disgrace his father because he loves his father.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
You must believe that Paul is a heretic.

Paul said, "Knowing this, that the law is not made for the righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient" 1 Timothy 1:9.

The reason that the righteous man does not need the law is because he doesn't need to be told what to do. Do you need to be told not to sin? If you do, then the law is for you. A good son does not need instructions, he knows what is required of him and lives accordingly. A good son would never do anything to shame or disgrace his father because he loves his father.

Do not believe that Paul was a heretic and I have not said anything contrary to what he has said, but rather my problem is with your obvious misinterpretation of what he said, which is contrary to other verses in the Bible. To say that someone has a character trait is to say that they act in a way that expresses that character trait, so courageous people live courageously. Likewise, righteous people live righteously and God's law is His instructions for how to live righteously, so righteous people live in accordance with it even if they don't need to be told how to do that. Sin is the transgression of God's law, so everyone who is not living in obedience to needs to be told to repent and to live in obedience to it. The Bible repeatedly says that if we love God, then will obey His commandments, and you speak about a good son living in accordance with them and not doing anything to shame or disgrace his father because he loves his father, but you contradict that by also speaking against obeying his father.

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Before one can embrace New Covenant theology, they will have to renounce their Old Covenant theology of works, laws and religion. Under the New Covenant Christians are justified by faith alone, works, laws and religions have been abolished and count for nothing, Ephesians 2:15 also Colossians 2:14. This is one reason why Paul said, "The just shall live by faith" Romans 1:17. Living by faith does not include laws, works and religion.

Under the New Covenant Christians will be focused on Jesus Christ and his Gospel, because Jesus is the end and the fulfillment of the Old Covenant. Paul said, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. Without the law there cannot be an Old Covenant. All religions are based upon law. Where there is no law, there is no sin, Romans 4:15.

Under the New Covenant Jesus has ALREADY defeated sin, death and the devil and now sits in heaven as "The King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16.

What do these scriptures mean to you and your New Covenant Theology?

My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life,and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.
John 10:27-28

My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

Eternal life is given to those who hear and follow (obey) Jesus Christ.

No one can follow Him unless they hear and obey Him as He leads them in the way of life; along the narrow and difficult way that leads to life.

And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him,Hebrews 5:9

Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. John 5:28-29

• those who have done good, to the resurrection of life,
  • and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.

JLB

Upvote 0

Jeffrey A

Roses Theology - peace to Calvin/Armin battle
Jan 25, 2005
Pacific Northwest
✟2,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where is this New Covenant in the scriptures?

Good question, MWood. There are actually two covenants of God called variously, the "new Covenant." The first one is found in Jeremiah 31:31. It is an unconditional promise God makes with the House of Israel exclusively to place the Law of Moses within their hearts at the time Messiah reigns over the earth from Jerusalem, so that they will never forsake it again. It is called "the second" covenant at Hebrews 8:7, with the original Law of Moses Covenant being called "that first covenant."

The second "New Covenant" is first found at Luke 22:20, where Jesus said, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood." This new covenant is a distinct, wholly different covenant from the Jeremiah new covenant, because according to Paul it devolves to all the nations, not just the House of Israel, and in fact, was first called a covenant and ratified by God with Abraham 430 years before the Law of Moses Covenant that the Jeremiah 31 covenant replaces at the time of the kingdom on earth.

Distinguishing between the two is pretty critical to understanding the New Covenant as it relates to the topic of this thread.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.