God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
A problem has arisen reguarding worship at our church. We have had 2 members meetings in the past few weeks, as one of my good friend's dad has brought something he considers to be an issue before the church board. My good friend told me ages ago his dad had issues with the use of electric guitars, bass guitars and drums for worship and i kind of just laughed it off and thought he was kidding. However, this man, Rudy has clamied that God has given him a prophesy reguarding this. He feels that the Senior Pastor has "Eli's sin" because the youth pastor who is also our main worship leader, and his brother who make up the main worship leaders are using bass, and drums to glorify the Lord. Because those are not instruments mentioned in the bible they are therefore wrong. He aslso had issues with the "heavy rock beat" of some of the music claiming it is displeasing God. He said he refused to write down the prophesy because he believed it was evil to record it (*shakes head in confusion where the bible says that personaly*) However that it involves youth pastor, senior pastor, and pastors other son. The scribes there, Being the elders recorded everything rudy said as a testimony and record.

As a Christian Missionary Alliance Church one of our main focus's is that the bible is Gods will, is to be used concerning the Lords will for His church, nothing can be added nothing can be taken away from it, etc..

Rudys concern is that because God has told him David (youth pastor) is sinning, and the Senior pastor is his father, the senior pastor is in Eli's sin. The church board (Senior Pastor, Youth minster, and the Elders) has put it to the church to contact the pastor throughtout the week concerning this matter, and if the Church decides He is indeed in Eli's sin, whe will step down as Senior Pastor- weather He believes He is right or wrong. If we as a church body decide there is no issue with the Pastor, He himself will persue to solve the problem as a God-appointed leader, He simply wants to be sure the body do not think He is in sin, because Gods leaders in sin will not lead and edify to the Body towards the Lord.

I am of the belief that there is not anything wrong with using these instruments and music with a rock beat, however i have no scripiture to show that worshipping God in such a way is acceptable. I have a very firm belief in worship being from our hearts and that is what the Lord sees, not the clothes we are wearing, not the instruments, nor the fact that we are in a certain building or what not i do not feel as though God cares of the circumstances of our physical nature. If we are truly using the music to glorify Him, on the sole purpose of exalting Him, where is the problem?

Feeback and Scripture PLEASE!

keyz

Mar 7, 2004
✟1,782.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Praise the LORD .

Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens.
Praise him for his acts of power;
praise him for his surpassing greatness.
Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,
praise him with tambourine and dancing,
praise him with the strings and flute,
praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.

Let everything that has breath praise the LORD .

Praise the LORD .

Psalm 150.

Upvote 0

onajourney87

Contributor
Oct 28, 2003
✟13,963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ps 150 is awesome. :thumbsup:

It mentions the harp and lyre, essentially guitars.

It mentions tambourines which are drums.

Now your church probably knows this fully well, but there is nothing in the Bible against using electric guitars, bass guitars, drums, or having a "rock beat" to your music. Nothing whatsoever.
And that is of little surprise considering electric guitars didn't exist 2000+ years ago. ;)

Because those are not instruments mentioned in the bible they are therefore wrong.

That is totally an argument from silence there. Going with the same logic, one can claim that driving a car is wrong because it's not mentioned in the Bible.

Perhaps this man would prefer an organ and/or piano? They aren't mentioned in the Bible either...

What this man is claiming is external revelation regarding doctrine. Essentially, he believes God has revealed to him new doctrine. Is that Biblical? No. The Bible is complete, we all know that.

Really, the burden of proof is not on your church, but is on this man who claims to have been given a prophecy. He is the one that must prove such prophecies are still given by God(God given new doctrine is quite a claim) and that the prophecy he claims to have received came from God.

While prophecy is spoken of in the New Testament, it is not in the sense this guy is claiming. Prophecy in the New Testament is simply speaking forth truth. Quite different than the Old Testament sense.

So... the burden of proof is on Rudy, not on your church.

osm

Upvote 0

CWLite

Oct 31, 2004
Scarborough, Ontario
✟15,664.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I agree with the previous posts.
This man Rudy is an agitator. This single argument is from the devil. hearing things like this enrage me. My old church suffered a split because of nonsense like this. The bible speaks harshly against false prophets.
Acts 13:6-11
Jeremiah 14:14
and there are a lot more.

This Rudy had better repent before the Lord, he is an danger of being destroyed. Seriously.

Upvote 0

tubaboy963

Sep 15, 2004
Washington
✟7,858.00
Faith
Baptist
Does the bible ban any instruments? No! Let's look at it this way. We consider hymns church music because it's been accepted for quite some time, but when hymns were a new thing, there was much opposition against them. Some churches say Gospel music and hymns are ok. Gospel music derived from Jazz or country, depending what you're talking about (Gaither-style or Cece Winans). All these different forms of music, when they are new, have had much opposition. Now as we try and add more contemporary stuff, it is facing that same opposition that was there a couple hundred years ago when Martin Luther nailed his Thesis upon the Catholic church. At that time all the church would have were Gregorian chants. That was no good for the common German who didn't know Latin. They needed change. Does your church?

Upvote 0