Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Long weekend ahead :D Sat/Sun/Mon but then facing some 10 & 12 hour workdays. Probably work on some more desiccant packs. Sure would like to work on an aquaponics application with one of my aquariums. I have a 10 and 29 gal tank sure I could grow some lettuce with the 29...just not sure where to start.

Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have big plans for the tilapia pond and aquaponics. But the cool nights in the south that may foil our plans for the fish... tilapia do not like the cold below 60 degrees.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,785,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, I am figuring out how days of overcast clouds and raining affect our solar system. We have a back up butane generator (I had thought it was propane) but want to keep it to the solar power if we can. We got down to 67% charged (3days in), and the back up kicks in at 50 %. But we are hanging in there. I avoided the microwave, and it does charge if there light if not with the sun shining brightly. We have a few more days to go though.

Good news is that the cistern is filling up.

Upvote 0

Poster0

Aug 20, 2015
✟13,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, I am figuring out how days of overcast clouds and raining affect our solar system. We have a back up butane generator (I had thought it was propane) but want to keep it to the solar power if we can. We got down to 67% charged (3days in), and the back up kicks in at 50 %. But we are hanging in there. I avoided the microwave, and it does charge if there light if not with the sun shining brightly. We have a few more days to go though.

Have you ever tried windmill generators? I don't know anything about solar power or wind generators, except what i've seen online, but i always thought that it might be good to have both solar panels and wind generators, because on overcast days you may be able to get power from the wind.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

With solar panels, the cleaner they are, the more efficient they are. Especially on overcast days.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,785,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Have you ever tried windmill generators? I don't know anything about solar power or wind generators, except what i've seen online, but i always thought that it might be good to have both solar panels and wind generators, because on overcast days you may be able to get power from the wind.

We have one but it is not hooked up. It will require wind to be about 7 miles an hour. We have had overcast days now for 4 days and the wind has not been that high. It has been maybe 3 miles an hour.

The system is charging from just the muted light that comes through. We were down to 63% this am and it is already up to 66%. It just gives me an excuse not to do laundry or run the vacuum. ^_^

Reactions: Cernunnos
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,785,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
With solar panels, the cleaner they are, the more efficient they are. Especially on overcast days.

True. Hopefully the rain cleaned them.

Upvote 0

Poster0

Aug 20, 2015
✟13,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We have one but it is not hooked up. It will require wind to be about 7 miles an hour. We have had overcast days now for 4 days and the wind has not been that high. It has been maybe 3 miles an hour.

The system is charging from just the muted light that comes through. We were down to 63% this am and it is already up to 66%. It just gives me an excuse not to do laundry or run the vacuum. ^_^

Or you could get an old ringer wash tub. :sorry:

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
True. Hopefully the rain cleaned them.
The rain will wash off the heavy stuff but not the film of grime that is stuck to the glass. It is kind of like the road film on your car, it'll wipe off, but it wont wash away with water without wiping.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,785,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The panels are on the roof and our roof is particularly tall so that would be a problem to wash them.

We were down to 53% this am but were already up to 57. We ran the generator for 12 minutes and it went up to 60%. Considering that the generator burns about a gallon an hour and that costs $2.50 USD, that is not bad if we end up using it some. It is not like we pay otherwise for power.

We were figuring that we want the % to be 65 every evening just to keep it up.

This is all good to know though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,785,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Eventually we may have to hire someone with scaffolding or a tall ladder to clean the panels, probably when we have our windows cleaned. There is a second floor balcony where a ladder would work.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,785,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Saw this on Facebook - thought it hit the nail on the head:

upload_2015-10-21_20-10-54.jpeg

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,785,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It finally cooled off a bit. It was stifflng. But we had sunshine, and rain and back and forth so our power has been strong and our cistern is full. :)

And our corn is taller than me, and we have a bunch of cucumber coming along and radishes and okra.

some of the other things did not grow, but we keep trying.

Life is good.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟271,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Saw this on Facebook - thought it hit the nail on the head:

View attachment 164566

I was a bit earlier seeking to gather interest here connecting that self-subsistence which this shows that any should come to with individuals who would then be coming together in groups for community together, as Christian believers are indeed to do, for what would really be sustainable living. http://www.christianforums.com/thre...you-got-to-trade.7904568/page-2#post-68775936

With some more simplicity not depending so much on higher technology to use with having what is needed coming from everything useful for it growing and with making things there, such doing this can have more independence from society elsewhere, and be much more sustainable, which is indeed needed, with believers doing this submitting to God more with seeking God's will in obedience.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Never enough cucumbers around here...one of the major food groups in this house..
Dern rabbit ate some of ours. Just a bite. Did not like it so it tried the next one. Did not like that one either so it went on to the next. Same thing so we end up with a bunch of cucumbers with one bite out of them.
Dern rabbit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0