'Don't fall for it': Healthcare sharing ministries look like insurance, but they're not

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟842,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
“Don’t fall for it. They’re not going to help you,” said an angry Bethany Stull, who believed that her coverage through a company called OneShare would cover her medications for treatment of a brain tumor. “Every single time I got a big invoice (from the doctor) and it said patient’s responsibility and it was 100% of the bill.”

That was when she learned that OneShare is not legally an insurance company. It’s listed as a “Health Care Sharing Ministry,” which has certain protections under federal law.

One of them is that, unlike a regulated insurance company, it does not have to pay claims for legitimate medical expenses.

Dea Dunfee of Selah received coverage through the trucking company he worked for and didn’t realize what it was until $40,000 in hospital bills from a stroke went unpaid.

He called a OneShare rep and was told, “If you read your policy further you will find out that we’re not an insurance company, that we are a Christian service.”

“We will pray for your health,” Dunfee said the rep told him.

What? Not even thoughts to go with those prayers?

When Congress approved the Affordable Care Act in 2010, Republicans and religious organizations pushed for a carve-out that allowed HCSMs to operate under broad exemptions from the Act.

Thanks, Obama.

See also:

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟233,000.00
Faith
Christian
I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, these work the same way as insurance companies - using membership contributions to cover payout of healthcare expenses to members.

The problem is that you need a lot of people paying in every year to cover medical bills, especially insane American medical bills. My guess is that these funds don't have many members, hence why they have to restrict payouts and have very high gap fees. And a quick look at their website seems to show that they don't cover long term illnesses, but mostly emergencies.

The solution would be to have some kind of healthcare sharing fund that everyone paid into - that way you'd have more than enough money to cover everyone's medical bills. The organisation might even be big enough to negotiate discounts on hospital bills, doctors fees and medicines to reduce costs.

We could even give it a name. Maybe something with "care" and "medical" merged in the title.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟248,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Just curious, but shouldn't we expect people "covered" under one of these sharing Christian services to have statistically fewer medical problems and, therefore, lower overall medical bills? I mean they have the Great Physician on their side, right?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,120,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, these work the same way as insurance companies - using membership contributions to cover payout of healthcare expenses to members.

The problem is that you need a lot of people paying in every year to cover medical bills, especially insane American medical bills. My guess is that these funds don't have many members, hence why they have to restrict payouts and have very high gap fees. And a quick look at their website seems to show that they don't cover long term illnesses, but mostly emergencies.
A few years ago I looked into one of these healthcare-sharing programs but I can remember the name of it. It didn't work anything like an insurance company. It was through a Christian organization.

I'm mostly sure this is how it worked but it has been a few years ago and I didn't like the Maybe my bills will get paid.
As a member you pay a premium and a percentage of the money goes into your healthcare savings account. When you have an expense it's paid from your account. If you don't have enough funds in your account your name is on a list with your expenses that haven't been met. Other members in the group can choose to donate to your account to help cover your medical bills. In the end, it's rather like a temporary GoFundMe account for each member if they need it.

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟498,219.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
A few years ago I looked into one of these healthcare-sharing programs but I can remember the name of it. It didn't work anything like an insurance company. It was through a Christian organization.

I'm mostly sure this is how it worked but it has been a few years ago and I didn't like the Maybe my bills will get paid.
As a member you pay a premium and a percentage of the money goes into your healthcare savings account. When you have an expense it's paid from your account. If you don't have enough funds in your account your name is on a list with your expenses that haven't been met. Other members in the group can choose to donate to your account to help cover your medical bills. In the end, it's rather like a temporary GoFundMe account for each member if they need it.
How big was that percentage?

Did one get interest on that money? Was something deducted from it overtime? Or did it just "sit there"?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟567,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Is everything in the US a scam to fleece money from people?
If it’s billed as a “Christian” alternative to something else, yes.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,448,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is everything in the US a scam to fleece money from people?

...and when the government attempts to intervene, many complain about government interference in business....or if a "ministry" is involved, restricting "religious freedom."

• Winner
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟437,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
A segment of Americans are being trained to resist anything "establishment" (like insurance companies, MSM, universities), and place their faith in "alternative" stuff (like so called Christian schemes, youtube personalities, etc.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,120,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How big was that percentage?

Did one get interest on that money? Was something deducted from it overtime? Or did it just "sit there"?
Sorry, I don't remember the details. It seems to me the percentage of the premium that went to administration was small but I can't swear to it.
My understanding was that your funds just stayed in your acc't until you used them.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟498,219.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, I don't remember the details. It seems to me the percentage of the premium that went to administration was small but I can't swear to it.
My understanding was that your funds just stayed in your acc't until you used them.
So you basically gave them an interest-free loan and paid for the privilege?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟498,219.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, I don't understand.
When you give someone money and they just sit on that money (minus a fee) until you want it back, that's a loan, isn't it?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh look, Christians and Republicans pushing a scam. Shocking.

It's grifters hiding behind religion. I would say there's a special place in Hell for them, but then I realize a great many Christians accept this kind of thing as "ethical", because their religion has taught them that grift in Jesus name is A-OK.

If it’s billed as a “Christian” alternative to something else, yes.

Sad, but true. As Augustine wrote, "How many sheep without, how many wolves within!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟272,280.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's grifters hiding behind religion. I would say there's a special place in Hell for them, but then I realize a great many Christians accept this kind of thing as "ethical", because their religion has taught them that grift in Jesus name is A-OK.

Sad, but true. As Augustine wrote, "How many sheep without, how many wolves within!"
The problem isn't just them, but as it's been pointed out they often have no regulations, don't require to follow the actual regulations and trying to get some semblence of sanity is treated as persecution.

I remembre years ago stories of Christian schools and day cares, not requiring the bare minimum standards that a secular place has. And I don't mean, promote gay agenda, or atheism or what ever might be the issue people have but basic things like.

first aid training
teaching certificate
background check to make sure they arn't criminals
food saftey and other things that you would think you would want them to have, but instead, it's christian FREEDOM so any attempt to put sanity requirements and such on them is seen as an attack.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟943,262.00
Faith
Atheist
Different company, same thing: Medi-share. While Medi-share is has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, it is also unaccredited.

The customer complaints (not used in the rating calculation) are instructive. Getting them to pay or getting them to cancel your membership is similar to other scams: Christian Care Ministry, Inc. | Complaints | Better Business Bureau® Profile

This complaint from 2021 is instructive:
My daughter and I have been a member of Medi-Share for 1 1/2 years. She is 13 years old. Unbeknownst to me, she was going through a very difficult depression and has been cutting herself for the last 2 years. She told her therapist about the situation who immediately conferred with her psychiatrist and myself and her dad. We all agreed that my daughter needed immediate hospitalization. Without it, my daughter's severe depression could have resulted in suicide. Medi-Share has stated that they are not going to share my medical expenses because it says in their guidelines that mental health issues will not be shared. At this point, I have approx $40k in medical bills which medi-share will not share with other members in any way. I am speechless that they are not going to help my child. She is a child!! It is not un-Christian like to have severe depression and to need help. It's not an emotional handicap, it's a chemical imbalance in her brain. I am at a complete loss.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The problem isn't just them, but as it's been pointed out they often have no regulations, don't require to follow the actual regulations and trying to get some semblence of sanity is treated as persecution.

I remembre years ago stories of Christian schools and day cares, not requiring the bare minimum standards that a secular place has. And I don't mean, promote gay agenda, or atheism or what ever might be the issue people have but basic things like.

first aid training
teaching certificate
background check to make sure they arn't criminals
food saftey and other things that you would think you would want them to have, but instead, it's christian FREEDOM so any attempt to put sanity requirements and such on them is seen as an attack.

In any other context, people would see that as the kind of thing religious cults do.

Theologically, from a magisterial Protestant perspective (Lutheran or Reformed), it's also a confusion of the Two Kingdoms. Churches shouldn't be run by special, "religious" rules unless it directly impacts preaching or the administration of the Sacraments. Otherwise, they should follow natural law/common sense rules, the same as in any secular context.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟272,280.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In any other context, people would see that as the kind of thing religious cults do.

Theologically, from a magisterial Protestant perspective (Lutheran or Reformed), it's also a confusion of the Two Kingdoms. Churches shouldn't be run by special, "religious" rules unless it directly impacts preaching or the administration of the Sacraments. Otherwise, they should follow natural law/common sense rules, the same as in any secular context.

Or they should WANT too, I disagree but get thinking there is a gay arenda and being against it, but this is literally protecting the children they claim to care about from death injury or other issues.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟498,219.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Or they should WANT too, I disagree but get thinking there is a gay arenda and being against it, but this is literally protecting the children they claim to care about from death injury or other issues.
Aren't they already born, though?

Upvote 0