Does your Church celebrate the Lord's Supper?

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟192,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I grew up in an Independent Fundamental Baptist church that celebrated Communion only once a year, and that was the Wednesday Night Service before Easter.

Both were ordinances not sacraments as you state and only Members of that church could take part, so visitors or the non-Baptized could not partake.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟255,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I grew up in an Independent Fundamental Baptist church that celebrated Communion only once a year, and that was the Wednesday Night Service before Easter.

Both were ordinances not sacraments as you state and only Members of that church could take part, so visitors or the non-Baptized could not partake.
Really? On Wednesday? I've never heard that before.

I knew of one Baptist Church (not sure of its affiliation) that celebrated Communion once a month and I think on special days like Christmas and Easter. The pastor thought celebrating it too much made it "less special."

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟192,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Really? On Wednesday? I've never heard that before.

I knew of one Baptist Church (not sure of its affiliation) that celebrated Communion once a month and I think on special days like Christmas and Easter. The pastor thought celebrating it too much made it "less special."

I was too young to ask and too ignorant to care, so I don't know why they only did it once a year. My guess is tradition combined with scripture basis that Jesus only had the Last Supper once, the last time he met with the disciples before he died. So the church only does it the last time they meet before the crucifixion, which would be the Wednesday night service before Easter.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟311,498.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The Lord's supper... meaning the traditional Passover meal that He and the boys had? That is what they saw it as but I guess Gentiles preferred to distance themselves and rewrite history, making a Hebrew tradition over in their own image. Is that narrative licence, taking reality in another direction?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟255,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I was too young to ask and too ignorant to care, so I don't know why they only did it once a year. My guess is tradition combined with scripture basis that Jesus only had the Last Supper once, the last time he met with the disciples before he died. So the church only does it the last time they meet before the crucifixion, which would be the Wednesday night service before Easter.
Interesting. I've never heard of that before.

(side note: I think the JW's practice it once a year, but they are NOT Christian (according to CF standards/most other Christians) ).

• Agree
Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. I've never heard of that before.

(side note: I think the JW's practice it once a year, but they are NOT Christian (according to CF standards/most other Christians) ).
The are not mainstream Christian but they are certainly Christians.
They have no other Gods or other names for God and Jesus.
They don't call on any other characters for guidance or help.
There are more than 10,000 saints named at this time.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟255,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
huh? JW's don't recognize Saints as far as I know, but that's going off topic and not appropriate to discuss in this thread

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
huh? JW's don't recognize Saints as far as I know, but that's going off topic and not appropriate to discuss in this thread
So why are you addressing that part of my post?
Isn't ignoring it the correct course?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not knowledgable of JW's so I have no further comment.

God bless
I have had Bible studies with JW's and have had a copy of their Bible.
They are very Christian. Just not in line with everyone else.

Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟219,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
In the UK, Baptist churches generally celebrate Communion monthly, typically on the first Sunday of the month. Those with both morning and evening services will usually have Communion monthly for both, but on different Sundays.

Most Baptist churches practise 'open communion' and will normally explicitly invite 'all who profess Christ as their Lord and Saviour' (or similar) to partake. Same as most denominations and groups.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟219,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Riley, why are you so interested in these topics of what denominations different from yours do?

Every church I've attended celebrates the Lord's Supper. The RCA church & Baptist churches I attend do it once a month. Every Baptist church I've attended consistently does it that way.

Some other things: everyone can participate. We believe only it's symbolic Jesus's flesh & blood, just like the Passover feast was. We use juice for the blood.

I think less than once a month would be too infrequent

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Self-explanatory. I read on another post in a different forum, Baptists very rarely celebrate it, if at all.

It is my understanding Baptism and Communion are considered ordinances, and not sacraments (means of grace).

Thank you

Baptists do consider it an ordinance, not a means of grace. But to celebrate it only once per year, and that on a Wednesday is something I've never heard of, and seems to me to downplay significantly the Scriptural emphasis on the Lord's Supper. (Acts 2:42, 20:7; 1 Cor 5:7-8; 1 Cor 10:16-17,21; 1 Cor 11:23-34

Every church I've ever been a part of has celebrated it on a Sunday morning at least once per quarter, but usually once a month, and that includes several Baptist churches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟255,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Riley, why are you so interested in these topics of what denominations different from yours do?

Every church I've attended celebrates the Lord's Supper. The RCA church & Baptist churches I attend do it once a month. Every Baptist church I've attended consistently does it that way.

Some other things: everyone can participate. We believe only it's symbolic Jesus's flesh & blood, just like the Passover feast was. We use juice for the blood.

I think less than once a month would be too infrequent
I was just curious to learn more things. That's all. :)

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟219,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was just curious to learn more things. That's all. :)
Okay good to hear. I was concerned you might've been coming from a more confrontational stance, which I guess is okay, but not something I want to join in.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟219,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Don't they believe in the non-divinity of Christ? That would be considered a huge blasphemy.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't they believe in the non-divinity of Christ? That would be considered a huge blasphemy.
You kind of have to talk to them face to face. Do they reject Jesus? No.
Do they believe in "The Trinity" No.
You'll find that they believe what people tell them. I don't think God will
be rejecting them for being too easy to influence.

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟255,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Okay good to hear. I was concerned you might've been coming from a more confrontational stance, which I guess is okay, but not something I want to join in.
Heavens no! I would never be confrontational on here! My Church is often under attack from those who do not know nor understand its beliefs. It's always important to keep oneself humble and informed IMHO

Upvote 0