Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Notes taken from http://www.tyndale.edu/dirn/articles/early1.html

The early Church writings are seen as before the Council of Nicea (a.d. 325). (ante-Nicene age)

Ryrie calls “the first and purest centuries” of church history.

In order to evaluate the writings of the fathers for dispensational concepts, it is necessary to briefly set forth the main features of “classic” or “normative” dispensational theology as presented by men like C. I. Scofield, Lewis Sperry Chafer, and Ryrie. Perhaps the best recent definition of dispensationalism which incorporates the essential features of 1) the distinction between Israel and the church, 2) the hermeneutical principle of literal or normal interpretation, and 3) the purpose of God in history as the glorification of Himself,[11] is that formulated by Robert P. Lightner. He defines dispensationalism,

". . . as that system of theology which interprets the Bible literally—according to normal usage—and places primary emphasis on the major biblical covenants—Abrahamic, Palestinian, Davidic, New—and sees the Bible as the unfolding of distinguishable economies in the outworking of God’s major purpose to bring glory to Himself."

Even though the fathers of the early church, who are the subject of our study, tended to allegorize either relatively little (e.g., Irenaeus, Tertullian) or a lot (e.g., Barnabas, Justin Martyr), there was nevertheless a marked tendency among those who were chiliasts (i.e., premillennialists)...

And what was to become of the literal method of interpretation and its progeny—the millennial expectation? With the rising popularity of the allegorical method, belief in a literal millennial reign of Christ seems to have reached a turning point in the middle of the third century. The Egyptian bishop Coracion, who succeeded Nepos, buckled under pressure from Alexandria and abandoned the staunch millennialism of his predecessor.[20]And Hippolytus, the pupil of Irenaeus, is said to have wavered in his stance as well.[21]

Among the millennialists to follow, some (e.g., Lactantius and Apollinarus of Laodicea)[22] held to the old ways and continued to stress the literal fulfillment of prophecy, while others (e.g., Methodius[23] and Victorinus of Petau)[24] began to lace their views with allegorical interpretations.

One of the earliest prototypical features of dispensationalism is the year-day, or sex-/septa-millennial tradition. The background of this tradition and its relation to dispensationalism is explained by Ehlert. He writes:

It seems likely that the roots of the whole doctrine of ages and dispensations will have to be traced back to the six creative days, and the seventh day of rest, of Genesis, which have been considered prophetically symbolic of a number of periods of development to be followed by a period of utopia, as the Sabbath follows the six days of work.

It is worthy of note that almost every ante-Nicene father who held to the year-day theory was also a defender of millennialism. It was not until the post-Nicene period, after the spiritualizing influence of the Alexandrian school had taken its toll, that proponents of the year-day theory who were not at the same time proponents of millennialism began to appear.

It is possible to find in the writings of the fathers, distinctions and divisions of human history based upon God’s dealings with humanity.[35] While opponents of dispensationalism freely admit that the fathers frequently employed the word “dispensation” and set forth multi-age schemes, they insist that these were merely time-period divisions devoid of significant theological import.

Justin Martyr, for example, presented a fourfold dispensational system (fivefold if the millennium is counted separately),[38] which was based almost exclusively upon the failures of God’s people.

“Dispensationalism should be considered not a new doctrine, but a refinement of premillennialism such as was held by the early fathers. A similar refinement can be observed in all major doctrines in the history of the church.”

Belief in the premillennial return of Christ was a settled doctrinal principle in the ante-Nicene church.

The early church regarded this millenarian expectation as one of the fundamentals of orthodox Christianity. So widely diffused was the doctrine that noted church historian, Philip Schaff, calls it “The most striking point in the eschatology of the ante-Nicene age . . .”

Dispensationalists hold that the resurrection and rapture of the just will occur not only before the thousand-year millennium, but prior to the seven-year tribulation period as well (see Dan. 9). The key element of this pretribulational doctrine is the imminency of Christ’s return for the saints. Several church fathers admonished believers to live in daily expectation that the Lord could come for His people at any moment. Henry C. Thiessen summarizes early patristic views on the great tribulation this way:

In the testimony of the early Fathers there is an almost complete silence on the subject. They frequently speak of tribulations, but very seldom of a future period known as “the” Tribulation. . . .

Though on the whole the testimony of the Fathers is somewhat inconsistent, we seem to have in Hermas: The Shepherd, . . . a fairly clear indication of the fact that there were those who believed that the Church would be taken away before that period of judgment begins.[46]

We conclude this introduction by agreeing with Ryrie’s affirmation that the church fathers were not dispensationalists in the modern sense to be sure, but that “some of them enunciated principles which later developed into dispensationalism, and it may be rightly said that they held to primitive or early dispensational-like concepts.”[51] Many biblical principles and concepts held by the millenarian fathers were in an embryonic state. And while elements of their teachings lack the sophistication and systematic presentation the modern scholar might like, it should be remembered that these “doctors” of the primitive church lived on the frontier of Christian theological formulation.

Foot notes:

[20] See Eusebius Church History VII, 24.

[21] See J. N. D. Kelly, Early Christian Doctrines, rev. ed. (New York: Harper and Row, Publishers, 1978), 469. Here, Kelly says that in Caput contra Caius (or Chapters Against Caius), Hippolytus abandoned Irenaeus’ interpretation of the thousand years in Rev. 20 as the literal duration of the kingdom, and rather explained it as “a symbolical number which should be interpreted as pointing to its splendour” [See Kelly’s note: Cap. c. Caium (GCS I, Pt. 2, 246f)]. The “evidence” for this supposed reversal by Hippolytus is weak and unsubstantiated.

[22] Bietenhard says of Apollinarus, “From these accounts we may conclude that Apollinars kept to the letter of Scripture, that he did not try to evade the prophecies by spiritualizing, and that he combined them with Rev. 20” [Hans Bietenhard, “The Millennial Hope in the Early Church,” Scottish Journal of Theology 6 (March 1953):23].

[23] Methodius Banquet of the Ten Virgins III, I-II. Although Methodius regarded the allegorism of Origen as “perverted” (e.g., From Disc. on Resur. XVIII), he frequently fell into the same trap himself.

[24] Victorinus of Petau Commentary on the Apocalypse 20, 4-6.

[35] See Larry V. Crutchfield, "Ages and Dispensations in the Ante-Nicene Fathers: Part 2 of Rudiments of Dispensationalism in the Ante-Nicene Period" Bibliotheca Sacra 147 (October-December 1987):377-401.

[38] See Crutchfield, "Ages and Dispensations in the Ante-Nicene Fathers,” 401.

[46] Henry C. Thiessen, Introductory Lectures in Systematic Theology (Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1949), 477. For the Hermas reference, see The Shepherd: Visions IV, II. It will become apparent in our examination of the Hermas material that this is not an unqualified pretribulational reference.

[51] Ryrie, Dispensationalism…, 65.

Reactions: @@Paul@@

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Though there is no evidence as to whether Clement of Rome was a premillennialist or not....there is every evidence that he was NOT a dispensationalist.

For Clement, true Israel was the Church and the Church was true Israel. The generally agreed upon dating of Clement is 95ish AD. He was writing from a position of authority from the church in Rome to the church in Corinth.

Clement applies each and every reference to the Jewish scriptures to the Church. He has no concept whatsoever of a future for ethnic Israel. I would suggest that as Clement most likely knew Paul and possibly Peter....and his writing is dated within the same year or two as the revelation to the Apostle John....and the fact that he is no more than a second generation Christian, that his insight into the relationship between the Church and Israel just might be considered important.

As to his millennialism....we shall never know.

Blessings

Reactions: Eusebios
Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would argue he was amillennialist; it was the historic view of the Church and taught by the Apostles, who were taught that the Kingdom was within. The peace ushered in was a spiritual peace, which can quell the mind, uplift the soul, lighten the heart, and soothe the body; it is the Pax Christi, and the Church is the physical representation of it.

Reactions: Eusebios
Upvote 0

ClementofRome

May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
PaladinValer said:
I would argue he was amillennialist; it was the historic view of the Church and taught by the Apostles, who were taught that the Kingdom was within. The peace ushered in was a spiritual peace, which can quell the mind, uplift the soul, lighten the heart, and soothe the body; it is the Pax Christi, and the Church is the physical representation of it.
I agree with your assessment and I would also surmise that Clement was amil, however, one can hardly point to a specific chapter/verse in 1 Clement (I am assuming that all other Clementine writings are spurious) to prove his amillennialism. :)

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟757,654.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
To say he was amil shows a lack of understanding of the development of theology. My post doesn't say, 'he was a dispensational.' It points out that Clement had a ideas that may lead the logical thinker in light of the Word of God to a refinement, to dispensationalism. That'd be like saying Augustine was a believer in covenant theology, when all we see are seeds of this...

Should we use history or the Bible to validate a method of theology, that's the quesiton.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟757,654.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
PaladinValer said:
You'd have a hard time proving the apostles were amil, don't forget it was Augustine that defined what amil was and is. With more people turning to the Bible we see amil being 'left behind' for a more God centered belief.

Is Satan is bound, then why hasn't the world been saved yet? That's an awfully long leash. :D

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟757,654.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
PaladinValer said:
That assumes that amillennialists aren't God-centered. That's a rather arrogant, rude, and quite incorrect statement.
You're trying to detract form my post by ascribing words I didn't write, if I implied them forgive me.

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Street Preacher said:
To say he was amil shows a lack of understanding of the development of theology. My post doesn't say, 'he was a dispensational.' It points out that Clement had a ideas that may lead the logical thinker in light of the Word of God to a refinement, to dispensationalism. That'd be like saying Augustine was a believer in covenant theology, when all we see are seeds of this...

Should we use history or the Bible to validate a method of theology, that's the quesiton.
I don't think that I have a lack of understanding of the "development of theology," if by what you mean to be progressive revelation. The Bible sheds a progressive light at it proceeds from beginning to end. As for the development of post-biblical theology....well, that of course is a human endeavor seeking to properly understand the scriptures. It is either that, or you suggest that God's revelation was not closed with Revelation? I guess I should have clarified myself. I was somewhat being facetious (though not entirely). If "a" is a particle of negation, then "amil" would mean no millennium. As the Apostles (including Paul) saw the "end" as coming in their immediate future (and of couse John's Apocalypse had not yet been penned and even Clement may not have known the Apocalypse at the time of his letter), thus having NO concept of a millennium....thus, "amil." No, you are correct that their understanding of "amil" would be different from that of today and I do not doubt that.

I will go so far as to suggest (and of course again there is no way to prove this) that if Clement did get hold of the Apocalypse and if he understood it to be scriptue (there certainly would be some doubt about this), then he might have become a millennialist. Millennialist or not....he was not a dispensationalist in the terms that Ryrie suggest or otherwise.

Great conversation. Thanks.
Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ClementofRome

May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Street Preacher said:
I am sorry, I failed to address the question. Would you please clarify what you mean by the question? My immediate response, without clarification, would be to say that Scripture should validate theological method and not history...but that history can inform our understanding of and evolution of theological method.

Am I understanding the question correctly?

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟757,654.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
In Ryrie's book 'Dispensationalism Today' he does stress that dispensationalism of today doesn't look like dispensationalism of days past, progressive revelation and human understanding has made leaps in defining just what the Bible has to say. Ryrie also states, and I agree, that the early Church was amil or covenant theologists as we see today either. So what then? We should use the Bible to find which one is more valid.

:pray:

ClementofRome said:
I don't think that I have a lack of understanding of the "development of theology," if by what you mean to be progressive revelation. The Bible sheds a progressive light at it proceeds from beginning to end. As for the development of post-biblical theology....well, that of course is a human endeavor seeking to properly understand the scriptures. It is either that, or you suggest that God's revelation was not closed with Revelation? I guess I should have clarified myself. I was somewhat being facetious (though not entirely). If "a" is a particle of negation, then "amil" would mean no millennium. As the Apostles (including Paul) saw the "end" as coming in their immediate future (and of couse John's Apocalypse had not yet been penned and even Clement may not have known the Apocalypse at the time of his letter), thus having NO concept of a millennium....thus, "amil." No, you are correct that their understanding of "amil" would be different from that of today and I do not doubt that.

I will go so far as to suggest (and of course again there is no way to prove this) that if Clement did get hold of the Apocalypse and if he understood it to be scriptue (there certainly would be some doubt about this), then he might have become a millennialist. Millennialist or not....he was not a dispensationalist in the terms that Ryrie suggest or otherwise.

Great conversation. Thanks.
Blessings

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.