Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
What are the differences between Revised and Progressive Dispensationalism?

I know they don't make as sharp of a contrast between the Church and Israel compared to classical dispensationalism, but how do they differ from each other?

From what I understand, the progressive dispies don't deny the pre-trib rapture, but they do de-emphasize it and allow diversity of opinion on the exact timing of the Tribulation.

Are the Revised Dispies strictly pre-trib?

How do the Revised and Progressive camps differ from each other when it comes to their view of Israel?

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I know they don't make as sharp of a contrast between the Church and Israel compared to classical dispensationalism, but how do they differ from each other?

From what I understand, the progressive dispies don't deny the pre-trib rapture, but they do de-emphasize it and allow diversity of opinion on the exact timing of the Tribulation.

How do the Revised and Progressive camps differ from each other when it comes to their view of Israel?
I am not at eschatologist, so I belong to neither camp, but here is what the two sides of dispies believe in. Man, eschatology is a tangled mess, so I am glad that I stay out of this mess. I just follow Jesus, not these movements.

Alright, here are the comparisons.

Both Revised and Progressive Dispensationalism share some similarities with Classical Dispensationalism, such as recognizing distinct dispensations of God's dealings with humanity and believing in a literal interpretation of the Bible. However, they differ from Classical Dispensationalism in several key areas:

1. Emphasis on continuity between Israel and the Church: Both Revised and Progressive Dispensationalists place more emphasis on the continuity between God's dealings with Israel in the Old Testament and the Church in the New Testament. They view the Church as an extension or fulfillment of Israel rather than a completely separate entity.

2. Attitude towards the literal interpretation of biblical prophecy: Revised Dispensationalists tend to be more strict in their interpretation of biblical prophecy than Progressive Dispensationalists. While both groups believe in a literal interpretation, Revised Dispensationalists may be more rigid and less open to various interpretations.

3. Pre-tribulation rapture: Both Revised and Progressive Dispensationalists accept the pre-tribulation rapture, but there is a difference in emphasis. Revised Dispensationalists tend to be more committed to this view and see it as an essential component of their theology, while Progressive Dispensationalists are more open to other interpretations or allow for a diversity of opinion on the exact timing of the rapture and tribulation.

4. Israel's future role: Both camps recognize that Israel still has a future role in God's plan, but they differ in their understanding of it. Revised Dispensationalists tend to view Israel as having a distinct and future role separate from the Church, while Progressive Dispensationalists see Israel's role as more integrated with that of the Church.

5. The relationship between the Old and New Covenants: Revised Dispensationalists tend to see the Old and New Covenants as distinct and separate, while Progressive Dispensationalists view them as related and complementary. This difference in perspective impacts their understanding of Israel's role and the relationship between Israel and the Church.

6. Ecclesiology: Revised Dispensationalists may emphasize a more institutional approach to ecclesiology, while Progressive Dispensationalists place more emphasis on the spiritual nature of the Church.

Overall, the Revised and Progressive Dispensationalist camps share some similarities but differ in their emphasis on various aspects of dispensational theology. Both groups reject the idea that God's plan for humanity can be neatly divided into distinct compartments or boxes, recognizing the need for continuity and development in God's dealings with his people.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟199,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have ONLY seen one that talk about Progressive Dispensationalism , in this forum ,, and did not give much info .

And I am a strict Acts 9 DISPENSATIONALIST , PRE-TRIB , PRE- MILLENNIAL , PRE - TRIB .

dan p

Upvote 0