✟192,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Mark 16 Jesus calls healing a sign that followers believers

In 1 Corinthians 12 Paul names healings as a manifestation (gift) of the Spirit.

What is the difference between the two? Do you have personal testimony bearing such evidence?

Reactions: dqhall

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

In 1 Corinthians 12 Paul names healings as a manifestation (gift) of the Spirit.

What is the difference between the two? Do you have personal testimony bearing such evidence?

None. Being filled with the Holy Spirit follows belief. It's the same thing.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟384,009.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bear in mind however that sometimes the text refers to the collective body of believers and sometimes to the individual.

So when it says they shall speak in new tongues for example, this may be referencing the body but not every individual.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟167,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

What is it that you are looking for?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While both involve faith, the gift requires faith for the gift to manifest. What is commonly called "faith healing" (a misnomer) requires simple faith.
Acts 14:8-10 In Lystra there sat a man who was lame. He had been that way from birth and had never walked. He listened to Paul as he was speaking. Paul looked directly at him, saw that he had faith to be healed and called out, “Stand up on your feet!” At that, the man jumped up and began to walk.

James 5:14-16 Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟167,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
While both involve faith, the gift requires faith for the gift to manifest.

I disagree. Most of the gifts are only operated by The Holy Spirit inside of us.

The same gift was in operation when Peter would pass by people in the street and they would be healed. He didn't say anything or do anything, it was just the power of The Holy Spirit emanating from him that did the supernatural miracles.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟167,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Im just curious brother and trying to stimulate some conversation I guess

There are several ways in scripture to receive healing from GOD.

In relation to what Carl said, some of the ways are individual, such as prayer and fasting, but other ways are corporate, such as group prayer of the elders of the church with anointing oil, and of course a person operating the gifts of healings as a ministry in a particular church body.

The true ministry gift is what is sorely missing right now in the body of Christ. I'm talking about a Spirit filled Christian who has received an anointing upon their head and The Holy Spirit constantly resting upon them in power to operate the ministry gift to provide maintenance to that local body,.... that type of ministry.

In relation to the topic also,...we've had some really wrong teaching associated with healing over the years. We've had people try to administer healing to people based specifically around faith alone, and that is not scriptural. Faith can be involved in the person receiving the healing, yes, but the operation of the gifts of healings is not limited by any faith in the person GOD is utilizing. That person is only an instrument of His righteousness and is merely following the leading of The Holy Spirit while GOD does the work. The glory/credit is all GOD's. That person is to sort of step aside inside while GOD operates through them, and they are not to get in the way.

I've been looking into Hagin's books on some subjects lately, such as the gifts and ministries of The Holy Spirit. A lot of it is very good, but like anyone, he has some areas where he was wrong in. It takes The Holy Spirit picking out what is true and what is not. I haven't looked into his writings on healing yet, but may here shortly just to see what he actually taught.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟561,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
healings is not limited by any faith in the person GOD is utilizing. That person is only an instrument of His righteousness and is merely following the leading of The Holy Spirit while GOD does the work. The glory/credit is all GOD's. That person is to sort of step aside inside while GOD operates through them, and they are not to get in the way
Good point.
- I agree.
---
I remember..someone (in healing ministry)..
- who said/emphasized..on His glory/His work..
- many years ago..in 1970's.

Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟167,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Good point.
- I agree.
---
I remember..someone (in healing ministry)..
- who said/emphasized..on His glory/His work..
- many years ago..in 1970's.

I believe anyone who is chosen out for GOD to operate in great amounts of His power will be properly trained on that topic,... the glory of GOD.

We are but imperfect vessels that He has chosen to operate through, and it is a privilege for this to happen through us. But we must maintain the position that it's not about us. GOD's glory includes the aspect that it is His decision and His work to accomplish through you. You are not involved other than to allow it to happen. It is to be Him operating the gifts and Him speaking,.... not you.

There have been saints who were led into looking at themselves just a little bit too much by other Christians and society over the years, and it led to their eventual downfall. It takes a strong mind and a strong will to not allow other people to be used by satan against you. It other words, you need to immediately know when to push them away from you.

• Agree
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟188,750.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Try to provide a complete quotation always, e.g., chapter and verse. Don't just provide only the chapter because context varies from verse to verse.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It is important to remember that it is not necessary for the person being healed to have faith, this is clear in the case of Naaman in 2 Kings 5, if someone is not healed it is not reasonable to conclude that it is due to their lack of faith.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The prime thing when it comes to health, healing, or any other issue of life is pleasing God. Regardless if you are in a hospital bed, wheelchair, complete poverty, or prison cell. To please God, you must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. If your condition leads to your dying breath, you have to believe Him.
In 2016, after walking in health for 45 years, I was struck with acute pancreatitis. I was in intensive care and then in a hospital bed for eight days. They dumbed me out with opiate painkillers for days. My wife said I would wake up from the stupor and I would mumble out Word truth. "By His stripes, we were healed... He heals all our diseases.... the prayer of faith shall heal the sick... " and then black out again. I would praise the Lord for His goodness and mercy. The devil was attacking me constantly. Even when I was awake, I hallucinated demonic creatures on the walls. But I knew I had to stand on the Word. Of course, I wanted to be healed. But there was a place in me that desperately wanted to please my precious Lord and Saviour. I wanted to stand on what He did for me and not betray Him by denying His suffering. Finally, after eight days, in a matter of minutes, the sickness was gone, and other than being extremely weak (for months), the symptoms left. The point is we need to please God.
I was tempted to defend the integrity of my faith and just proclaim that God wanted me sick and that He was not a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him. But the spirit within me could not. Faith works through love. The Greek word for "works" is "energes" where we get our word "energy." Faith is energized by love. It was not about me, my sickness, or my healing. It was about Him, His goodness, His mercy, His faithfulness, and most of all; it was about what He did for me with extreme suffering to give us healing. It is about Him and what He did. I cannot deny that. The spirit that had been growing in me for those 45 years simply could not deny Him and His work. It is not about me. It is about Him. It is about knowing Him. It is about seeing the Father as Jesus showed us - not only in His redeeming us, but showing us in His ministry, where the Father always healed those who were oppressed by the devil. It is about Him, His love, and His faithfulness. Not mine. His.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟289,128.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

When there was construction on my street, the big yellow heavy equipment was a sign to me that I would have to go around, but it had a different actual purpose. Why do the gifts have to be either a sign or a manifestation? Can't a miraculous act of compassion also serve as a sign?

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟289,128.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Try to provide a complete quotation always, e.g., chapter and verse. Don't just provide only the chapter because context varies from verse to verse.
Really, because sometimes Jesus didn't even cite the book. He just said, "it's written," or, "haven't you read?". It was the hearer's responsibility to know where.

Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes the things I read on this Spirit-filled forum amaze me. We're the ones who are supposed to be more grounded in the Word, but I sometimes wonder how many of us have even read the Gospels. How many times did Jesus say things like, "your faith has made you well," or question why His disciples didn't believe, and so couldn't do what He intended for them to do, and why couldn't he minister in His own town?
This is why I am out of the debate about healing. First, I don't want to be contentious. Second, I don't want to set the stage for others to hurt themselves and others by denying God and His word.
I simply testify to the goodness of God, the mercy of God, and the gospel and leave it at that. Those who have ears will hear.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟192,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When there was construction on my street, the big yellow heavy equipment was a sign to me that I would have to go around, but it had a different actual purpose. Why do the gifts have to be either a sign or a manifestation? Can't a miraculous act of compassion also serve as a sign?
I'm only referencing how Jesus calls healing a sign of believers in Mark 16, but Paul calls healing a manifestation of the Spirit in 1 Cor 12. It's entirely possible the two are the same, just curious if there's something that differentiates between the two.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟192,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My own personal opinion is that perhaps Jesus' reference with healing as a sign, was not necessarily meant on an individual basis. But more like, if you see this group of people that are speaking in tongues and they have healings manifest, they are true believers. Whereas Paul's discussion on the subject in 1 Cor 12 is more about the individual believer. How some will have the gift/manifestation as healing.

So Jesus was speaking about the body as a whole and a way of discerning true Spirit filled believers, and Paul was speaking on an individual basis.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟289,128.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is why I am out of the debate about healing. First, I don't want to be contentious. Second, I don't want to set the stage for others to hurt themselves and others by denying God and His word.
I simply testify to the goodness of God, the mercy of God, and the gospel and leave it at that. Those who have ears will hear.
Testifying of the goodness of God is awesome. Keep on keepin' on.

Upvote 0