California
✟24,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was speaking with someone about the importance of "resisting the devil", for as James 4:7 says "he will flee from you". They replied "well, Job resisted the devil and the devil didn't flee from Job. He killed his family and destroyed his life." Intuitively, the point they are making seems incorrect to me but I am looking for some scriptural support to defend the principle found in James 4:7.

Did Job resist the devil? If so, does the James 4:7 principle apply to us today in a way that it did not to Job?

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,943,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Dietrich Johnson, the Book of Job makes no mention that Job knew Satan (or even knew of him or anything about him), but even if he did, he was never given a command (like we have been) to "resist him".

The story of Job is all about a difficult 'test' that came from God, not an 'attack' that came from Satan. It was an extreme test that Job, in fact, passed (I find his immediate responses to the horrors that he faced, losing all of his great wealth, his servants and his children, all in a single day, and then his health to boot, to be nothing less than astounding). For instance,

Job 1
13 On the day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother’s house,
14 a messenger came to Job and said, “The oxen were plowing and the donkeys feeding beside them,
15 and the Sabeans attacked and took them. They also slew the servants with the edge of the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you.”
16 While he was still speaking, another also came and said, “The fire of God fell from heaven and burned up the sheep and the servants and consumed them, and I alone have escaped to tell you.”
17 While he was still speaking, another also came and said, “The Chaldeans formed three bands and made a raid on the camels and took them and slew the servants with the edge of the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you.”
18 While he was still speaking, another also came and said, “Your sons and your daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother’s house,
19 and behold, a great wind came from across the wilderness and struck the four corners of the house, and it fell on the young people and they died, and I alone have escaped to tell you.”
20 Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head, and he fell to the ground and worshiped.
21 He said,
“Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
And naked I shall return there.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away.
Blessed be the name of the LORD.”
22 Through all this Job did not sin nor did he blame God.

Job 2
7 Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head.
8 And he took a potsherd to scrape himself while he was sitting among the ashes.
9 Then his wife said to him, “Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die!
10 But he said to her, “You speak as one of the foolish women speaks. Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?” In all this Job did not sin with his lips
By remaining faithful to God (or by resisting being unfaithful to Him ;)) he did, in a sense, unknowingly resist the devil (who did "flee from him" afterwards, again, in a sense), as Satan was not seen again, even by implication, from Chapter 3 to the end of the Book (where we are told that Job received back everything that he had lost X2 :)).

The other thing about James 4:7 that needs to be remembered is this, the promise is that Satan will flee from us when we resist him, but that doesn't mean that he will flee from us at the very moment that we begin to do so. Rather (as I'm sure that you've discovered as well), we most often need to 'persist' in our resistance of him before he will finally give up his attack on us and move on to an easier "target" to shoot his flaming arrows at. Lastly, James 4:7 does not tell us that he will flee from us permanently once we have resisted him, never to return again.

So, the above has been a very long way of saying that the Book of Job and James 4:7 have little to do with one another. On the other hand, I believe that a very good case could be made for comparing the Book of Job and a verse like 1 Corinthians 10:13 :preach:

As for Scriptural support for James 4:7, look to passages like Ephesians 6:10-17 (and to 1 Peter 5:8-10 of course, which, interestingly, could be connected to the Book of Job fairly easily, parts of it anyway, and in a much more direct way than James 4:7 can be).

God bless you!!

--David

Last edited:
Upvote 0