✟89,433.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Deuteronomy 6:

16 Do not put the LORD your God to the test as you did at Massah.
Judges 6:

33 Now all the Midianites and the Amalekites and the people of the East came together, and they crossed the Jordan and encamped in the Valley of Jezreel. 34 But the Spirit of the LORD clothed Gideon, and he sounded the trumpet, and the Abiezrites were called out to follow him. 35And he sent messengers throughout all Manasseh, and they too were called out to follow him. And he sent messengers to Asher, Zebulun, and Naphtali, and they went up to meet them.
Gideon made preparations for war. However, he felt insecure and needed a confirmation sign:

36 Then Gideon said to God, “If you will save Israel by my hand, as you have said, 37behold, I am laying a fleece of wool on the threshing floor. If there is dew on the fleece alone, and it is dry on all the ground, then I shall know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you have said.” 38 And it was so. When he rose early next morning and squeezed the fleece, he wrung enough dew from the fleece to fill a bowl with water.
God responded affirmatively. Still, Gideon needed a second sign:

39 Then Gideon said to God, “Let not your anger burn against me; let me speak just once more. Please let me test just once more with the fleece.
He wasn't arguing with God or testing God. He humbly asked God for another sign/test.

Please let it be dry on the fleece only, and on all the ground let there be dew.” 40And God did so that night; and it was dry on the fleece only, and on all the ground there was dew.
Now, Gideon was ready to go.

Did Gideon test God with the fleece?

No, he just needed some extra confirmation because of his insecurity. He lacked confidence and doubted himself, but he did not doubt God.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Deuteronomy 6:

Judges 6:

Gideon made preparations for war. However, he felt insecure and needed a confirmation sign:

God responded affirmatively. Still, Gideon needed a second sign:

He wasn't arguing with God or testing God. He humbly asked God for another sign/test.

Now, Gideon was ready to go.

Did Gideon test God with the fleece?

No, he just needed some extra confirmation because of his insecurity. He lacked confidence and doubted himself, but he did not doubt God.
This is my explanation of the Gideon and the fleece parable.

In the story of Gideon from Judges 6:33-40, Gideon indeed asked God for a sign or test to confirm His will regarding leading the Israelites against the Midianites. However, it is essential to clarify that Gideon was not testing God in a disrespectful or doubting way but rather seeking confirmation due to his deep faith and fear.

Here's the reasoning:

1. Gideon was called by God to lead Israel against the Midianites, but he had doubts and fears about his ability to do so because of his low self-esteem (Judges 6:12-15).

2. God reassured Gideon by promising him that He would be with him and strengthen him (Judges 6:14).

3. Despite this assurance, Gideon still asked for a sign to confirm God's presence and will (Judges 6:36-37).

4. God granted Gideon's request by allowing him to put a fleece out on the ground overnight and asking that it be wet with dew only, while the ground around it remained dry as a test (Judges 6:38).

5. The next morning, Gideon found that his fleece was wet while the ground was dry, confirming God's presence and will (Judges 6:39-40).

6. Gideon then asked for a second sign, this time requesting that only the ground be wet and the fleece dry to confirm that it was indeed God who performed the first sign (Judges 6:39-40).

The key point here is that Gideon's requests for signs were not an expression of disbelief or a challenge to God but rather a reflection of his deep faith and need for confirmation. This interpretation is supported by the fact that God granted both signs, indicating His favor towards Gideon despite his doubts. Therefore, while Gideon may have asked for tests or signs, he was not testing God in a disrespectful way.

• Winner
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0