BenjaminRandall

Oct 15, 2007
✟15,300.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ron, when you wrote,

I can actually preach with more confidence because I know that there are some whom God will cause to hear and believe.

does this suggest that in some way that person's salvation is dependent upon you preaching?

Also, some more explanation about this statement:

Their assurance doesn't come from experience it comes from the reliance that is itself a gift from God in the faithfulness of Christ to His word.

If I understand you correctly, assurance is derived from Reliance (i.e., faith) which, in turn, is caused (absolutely) by God.

But still, can't a person, assuming the Calvinist model, experience a false assurance, derived from a false reliance which really wasn't caused by God at all?

Isn't it possible that a person thinks he has done all this, when, in fact, it might really be all just a trick of depravity?

And if the answer is yes, (which, of course, it is) then no one can rest assured that Jesus died for them, assuming Calvinist soteriology.

But no worries. We can all have assurance that Jesus died for us, for Scripture simply and clearly assures us that Jesus gave himself as a ransom for all, for it was his will that all men come to the knowledge of the truth.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But, the issue which I have attempted to press throughout all this is not assurance of salvation, but rather, assurance that Jesus died for me.
And as I pointed out, without faith this assurance is no source of comfort.

In this case the same comfort can be derived from the simple statement that "Jesus died". Anyone may be assured that Jesus died by the same Scriptures.

Get the point? The Arminian is saying, "Jesus died for you, but you don't know about your salvation until you believe." That's equivalent in relevance to the Calvinist's, "Jesus died for all who believe, but you don't know about your salvation until you believe." The assurance received by unbelievers isn't valuable. Because it has no effect.

Oh, and by the way, your thesis is also inaccurate. Jesus did die for every individual in one sense in Calvinism, too. Neglecting salvation as you've done, Jesus did die for everyone. We Calvinists don't say it this way, because we don't try to bait & switch the person hearing it. But Christ did die for every individual. He died for the subjection of every individual to His Righteous Reign over the entire universe.

"Every knee shall bow, every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord."

When you've reduced it to being non-saving, "Jesus died for you" is found in Calvinism. But Calvinists not going to deceive someone into thinking that's for their salvation -- that it's Jesus building a bridge partway to him if he'd only finish it off. We're not here to bait & switch unbelievers. God's appointed a day on which He will judge the world. And who people rely on Jesus for their salvation in that day of Judgement will reflect who is saved, and who is not.

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ron, when you wrote,

does this suggest that in some way that person's salvation is dependent upon you preaching?
No. No one's salvation is dependant on anything but the fact that Christ has saved them. Now God has appointed the means by which that salvation comes to the heart and experience of the saved sinner and it is through faith which comes through the preaching of the Gospel. Rom. 10:13-17, Rom. 1:16, 1Cor. 1:18. 1 Pet. 1:23-25.

Also, some more explanation about this statement:

If I understand you correctly, assurance is derived from Reliance (i.e., faith) which, in turn, is caused (absolutely) by God.

But still, can't a person, assuming the Calvinist model, experience a false assurance, derived from a false reliance which really wasn't caused by God at all?
Again the answer is no. A person can have a false assurance based on experience, faith in their faith, their good works, and even in having the correct doctrine but none who look to Christ alone have a false assurance. Those who truly rest in Christ, seeing in Him all that God requires and all that they need to be accepted and blessed by Him don't look to themselves at all. They have assurance based on the truthfulness and faithfulness of Christ. The Arminian truly gives a sinner a false hope. He tells the sinner that Christ died for all men and loves all men and wants all men to believe and be saved. The sinner naturally thinks that everything will be OK in the end because God loves Him and Christ died for him. It really doesn't matter how he lives or if he even has faith. Common sense tells us that if God loves me He will not send me to Hell. He may send some people who really hate Him but not me. He loves me. They go about their lives thinking that God will be kind to them and have no idea that the Scriptures are clear that it isn't the love of God that abides on them but the wrath of God. John 3:36. Arminianism gives the sinner a false assurance that God will not send them to Hell. You really give them no reason to trust Christ.

Isn't it possible that a person thinks he has done all this, when, in fact, it might really be all just a trick of depravity?
It is a trick of religion which is always about things. Truth is about the person and work of Christ. Many have a heart full of religion who have no faith in Christ. In fact I would be willing to say that most fit that description. Religion is the most damning thing in the world.

And if the answer is yes, (which, of course, it is) then no one can rest assured that Jesus died for them, assuming Calvinist soteriology.
Already answered.

But no worries. We can all have assurance that Jesus died for us, for Scripture simply and clearly assures us that Jesus gave himself as a ransom for all, for it was his will that all men come to the knowledge of the truth.
Then we can all have assurance that everyone is going to Heaven and God will send no one to Hell.

Upvote 0