• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Covering Scars

Lozza

Veteran
Nov 3, 2005
England
✟17,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Hi, do any of you have any advice on covering up self-harm scars?
Last summer, I completely lost it with myself and dragged my nails down the underside of my forearm so hard it bled and now I've got long purpleish scars from it that I can't pass off as being from anything else really...it looks obvious what it's from.
I've tried using make up, even high pigment ones but it doesn't seem to work that effectively. Luckily last summer was quite cold after the incident happened, and during a heatwave which lasted about a week I put a support on my arm and just told anyone who asked that my wrist was really weak and I thought I had an inflamed tension or something.
It hasn't been too bad during the winter as I've been able to wear jumpers and my blazer at work. But sometimes at work it gets very hot due to the heating, and as someone prone to anxiety I do not cope at all well when I get hot. My work uniform is a short sleeve blouse, so I am unable to take my blazer off.
I hate winter because I seem to get even more depressed during it, but this year I'm dreading warm weather because I don't know what to do about my arm. I want to be able to wear my nice short-sleeved summer clothes and be able to buy pretty dresses that don't have long sleeves for going out... Any advice anyone?

I'm sad to say that is the worst time I've self-harmed, but I still am having urges to self harm. When I do it doesn't tend to leave marks, or not for long if it does. I try very hard not to, I just have very low self-esteem at the moment :(

Emma Louise

Mar 15, 2012
Northumberland
✟15,127.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Hi Lozza, I have scars and like to wear short-sleeves too. I saw in a magazine recently there is a camouflage makeup from a company called Keromask which is designed to cover tattoos and scars, pigmentation problems etc. I bought one of their samplers - I think it was £5 - and tested the different colours of makeup. A bit fiddly but I found that using their green foundation then my skin shade on top really helped! Now if someone is actively staring at your arms it mightn't be that helpful, but to a normal glance you'd not notice the marks, I think.
Might be an idea to try it? I'm not good at applying makeup (I don't wear it normally) so you'd maybe get better results than me.
Oh and it doesn't rub off and is waterproof as well! (I took it off with those makeup removal wipe things)

I don't mean to sound like an advert - I'm sure there are other professional camouflage people out there - but getting a sample might be helpful.

Upvote 0

rossignol

Feb 18, 2012
✟7,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever thought of not covering your scars? You may be more aware of them than other people are. Often people who haven't had the same self injuring problems won't even suspect it and people who have, may help them talk with you and maybe you can help them. Just a thought.

If you still want to cover it up, go to your local department store and there are lots of heavy concealers you can get.

Put vitamin E on your scars and they will diminish over time.

Upvote 0

SplendidTree

Legend
Aug 8, 2009
✟53,000.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I dread the warm weather too for the same reasons. People say maybe they are more noticeable to myself than others as, as the poster above mentioned.

I think in the warmer weather, it is a lot harder. My skin is very sensitive and so I cannot really use makeup on it. I think sometimes makeup stuff like concealer, may even bring more attention to it.

I am praying for you.

Upvote 0

Luna1991

Jan 22, 2013
Sydney
✟7,759.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
As others have said, you can get a lot of cosmetic products especially designed for such uses. I used to do this. Like yours, mine are extremely obvious and it'd be hard to pass it off as anything else. The most obvious and visible ones are on my arms and legs.

Now I hardly ever cover my scars - sometimes I feel it would be more appropriate to cover them, for some work things and stuff. But that's about the only times. On a hot day I just wear a (very) light weight cardigan, or some make up on them.

Basically, I just don't care anymore. I'm not ashamed of my past, and quite frankly don't care to associate with anyone who thinks I should be. You're a tiger who earned her stripes! Our scars, stretch marks, freckles, pregnancy lines, etc. are all just the Braille written on our skin, telling our stories so far. I'm by no means trying to romanticise self-harm scars!!! But when I see them, to me all it says is, "I survived."

And sure, people comment - often they open their mouths too quickly, before their brains have time to register - just makes me laugh lol. My response will depend on my audience -

Kids
- Simply say "I hurt myself" then change topics & remove scars from direct view.
- I just tell them that their scars, and go on to explain how scars are formed. Usually they're so interested and engaged in the media, explanation, they forget to question how it happened altogether

Someone who I don't feel comfortable giving a humorous response to, or who is asking sincerely out of concern
- simply the truth, they're self- harm scars, tell them a little bit about the recovery process I'm going through, and thank them for their concern
- if I don't want to give details, I just say "they're from a long time ago" then quickly change topics - if you do this effectively enough, they won't realise you didn't actually answer their question :p

But most of the time, I just give a funny/sarcastic response, which helps them realise what they are, without making anyone feel uncomfortable, eg:
- "I was saving helpless orphans from a burning building, and I tripped!"
- "You should see the other girl!"
- "I had unprotected sex with a porcupine!"
- "what scars? I don't see any scars" while staring clearly at them. Keep going til they get the picture - drives people crazy :p
- "I got into a knife fight with some bad lobsters"
- **laugh seductively** “Oh, these are Marquesian symbols of fertility."
- "scars? What scars?" Look at arm "oh my gosh what happened to my arm???!!!!!!!!!!!!"
- "want me to show you?" Smile evily
- "we took some acid and she thought my arm was spaghetti"

Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
May I recommend looking for some (elbow length?) ladies dress/evening gloves. 50-100 years ago, they were quite stylish. Anytime a lady wore a low cut or strapless dress she would wear gloves with it. The lower the dress, the higher the gloves.
A pair or two of white ones could go with any sundress. It isn't how people normally dress, but just say you like the old fashioned gloves. It's normal for a woman to have her own style.
I want to make some of those to cover the scars on my arms, and have almost worked out a pattern. I will tell ya'll if I get the pattern figured out.

Upvote 0