Copyrights and the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulgivagus hagiographus

Rambling Writer
Mar 12, 2004
Space (the final frontier, don't cha know?)
Visit site
✟2,690.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure if this exactly where this should go but I can't really think of any place else it would fit. My question is on how copyrights work over the Internet, specifically in the area of what's known as fanfiction (stories written by a fan based off of a published work) and/or fan sites. www.fanfiction.net is probably the largest site for fanfiction. I was just curious on if this is actually completely legal. Say I'm a crazy Lord of the Rings fan. Is there any copyright law against me making a website based off of the Trilogy, write stories and/or draw pictures off of the books, so on so forth? Can I do all that if I just say, "Lord of the Rings belongs to Tolkien. I'm just a crazy fan showing my devotion and not making any profit off of this"? Can I make sites like this if I follow certain guidelines, and what might those guidelines be?

I figured that if anyone knew about laws and such that they would be in the politics forum. I would greatly appreciate any information on this! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.