Conservative Anabaptist??

Status
Not open for further replies.

theAmishGirl

Caution: This product will argue if aggitated!
Jul 22, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
✟8,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It has occurred to me that the cause of some of our disagreements may be the difference between conservative and liberal anabaptists. For the conservative ones, such as myself, this is a welcome change because it will give us a place to express our different views that are not neccesarily consistent with those of the Baptists. And Perhaps, for the more liberal groups, the differences between baptist and anabaptist aren't that great and therefore they don't feel that the split is neccesary. I only say this because I have noticed that those with more "conservative" backgrounds seem to be the ones enjoying this split the most...

Danfrey

Warning -- Anabaptist views
Feb 9, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
✟1,080.00
Faith
Anabaptist
theAmishGirl said:
It has occurred to me that the cause of some of our disagreements may be the difference between conservative and liberal anabaptists. For the conservative ones, such as myself, this is a welcome change because it will give us a place to express our different views that are not neccesarily consistent with those of the Baptists. And Perhaps, for the more liberal groups, the differences between baptist and anabaptist aren't that great and therefore they don't feel that the split is neccesary. I only say this because I have noticed that those with more "conservative" backgrounds seem to be the ones enjoying this split the most...
In most of the conservative circles I have been in, we would all be considered liberal for using the internet. :) I prefer to use the label modern to liberal. It has been so overused that it comes across as an insult to most. I do understand what you are saying though. In many Anabaptist churches today people are ready to accept doctrines that thousands died over just 400 years ago.

Upvote 0

theAmishGirl

Caution: This product will argue if aggitated!
Jul 22, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
✟8,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Danfrey said:
In most of the conservative circles I have been in, we would all be considered liberal for using the internet. :) I prefer to use the label modern to liberal. It has been so overused that it comes across as an insult to most. I do understand what you are saying though. In many Anabaptist churches today people are ready to accept doctrines that thousands died over just 400 years ago.

Haha! Most would consider me about as conservative as they come and I use the internet!! I guess times are changing in a lot of areas!

Upvote 0

Danfrey

Warning -- Anabaptist views
Feb 9, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
✟1,080.00
Faith
Anabaptist
AmishBoy said:
You would be hard pressed to find those that are very conservative as they dont use the internet and they stay for the most part in their own inner circles of fellowship. Its not like they have a website saying come here lol.
It is quite interesting. There are many seekers who go to the web for information on conservative Anabaptists, yet there is very little web presence for them. As we traveled in seek of a church, we would often get in touch with Christian Light Publications for locations of Anabaptist churches. This way we would get directed toward churches of similar beliefs.

Over the 6 years that I have considered myself an Anabaptist, there have been many changes in what I think is important. I was once an advocate for very well defined church standards, but I have gotten away from that mindset. I would much rather see my children define a standard for themselves based on biblical concepts than follow a standard blindly because it is what the church expects. This is not to say that all that hold to a church standard do so blindly, but a well defined standard lends itself to this particular problem. It took being a member of a well structured church to see that it brings a different set of problems with it.

Now, I consider myself a Christian with much in common with early Anabaptists, but I would not identify with any particular group. I appreciate tradition, but feel that it must be kept in it's proper perspective.

Upvote 0

AmishBoy

Jul 30, 2006
Tennessee
✟15,430.00
Faith
Christian
Danfrey said:
It is quite interesting. There are many seekers who go to the web for information on conservative Anabaptists, yet there is very little web presence for them. As we traveled in seek of a church, we would often get in touch with Christian Light Publications for locations of Anabaptist churches. This way we would get directed toward churches of similar beliefs.

Over the 6 years that I have considered myself an Anabaptist, there have been many changes in what I think is important. I was once an advocate for very well defined church standards, but I have gotten away from that mindset. I would much rather see my children define a standard for themselves based on biblical concepts than follow a standard blindly because it is what the church expects. This is not to say that all that hold to a church standard do so blindly, but a well defined standard lends itself to this particular problem. It took being a member of a well structured church to see that it brings a different set of problems with it.

Now, I consider myself a Christian with much in common with early Anabaptists, but I would not identify with any particular group. I appreciate tradition, but feel that it must be kept in it's proper perspective.

I feel alot like you danfrey, belief in tradition and rules but cautious to never fall into the path of the pharohs(sp).

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
AmishBoy said:
You would be hard pressed to find those that are very conservative as they dont use the internet and they stay for the most part in their own inner circles of fellowship. Its not like they have a website saying come here lol.

I could post links for a dozen businesses run by Old Order Amish.

Conservative is a relative word and always has been!

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
menno said:
Is one of those where you get your caps & dresses?^_^

No, those are called thrift stores! ^_^

I was at the one in Plain City Saturday, but they didn't have any that fit me and that were also in good "Lord's day go to meeting" condition, so I will look in Kidron this saturday when I go to the relief sale.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.