USA
✟162,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
View attachment 223602 This morning I did a quick kind of tiling style painting, which is the opposite of vector to my thinking, not clean, blocky, more painterly. I did a fair amount of digital painting a decade ago, but usually used softer brushes with a fair amount of transparency. This was an attempt to emulate something more like traditional opaque painting.

No reference, which would have helped with the details. Was the first time I used the tablet for digital painting for some time, so was just getting the hang of it again. I didn't get enough contrast in my values, but didn't want to take the time to work on it much since it was without reference and just a quick exercise.
I think that looks great! You did a good job. :)

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟890,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
FACEHELMETNEARFINAL.PNG

This one took more time than I initially expected. I saw a picture of an historical helm made in this fashion, and it seemed interesting. However, trying to weave those under and over took some doing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟890,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
situp.png
fly.png

More ballpoint sketch practice with figures. I had problems with proportions on these. Perhaps my mind kept overriding what I was seeing, as can happen in unusual poses. The first one I got the leg angle wrong so the lower leg had to be stretched longer than it should have to get it to the floor!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟890,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This was done with a standard Sharpie marker. It didn't scan that well. It is a little harder to get the details with the thicker line.
hoodieresamp.png

Attachments

• swordresamp.png
    swordresamp.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Upvote 0

EpicScore

Sep 16, 2017
✟41,079.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Hey, thanks for creating this thread. Drawing has been an on-and-off hobby of mine, but lately I've been using this media as a platform to express my beliefs and even to worship. After all, this is a God-given gift, and I would like to be able to cultivate this to give glory to Him.

This is an old drawing I started about 4 years ago, and retooled about 2 years later. It's based on the worship music "Still" by Hillsong, and it is one of the first drawings I did using legit sketch/drawing pencils instead of mechanical ones.

Attachments

• Still.jpg
    Still.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟162,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Hey, thanks for creating this thread. Drawing has been an on-and-off hobby of mine, but lately I've been using this media as a platform to express my beliefs and even to worship. After all, this is a God-given gift, and I would like to be able to cultivate this to give glory to Him.

This is an old drawing I started about 4 years ago, and retooled about 2 years later. It's based on the worship music "Still" by Hillsong, and it is one of the first drawings I did using legit sketc/drawing pencils instead of mechanical ones.
Wow, you're really good! I love the detail in your drawing. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟890,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is an old drawing I started about 4 years ago, and retooled about 2 years later. It's based on the worship music "Still" by Hillsong, and it is one of the first drawings I did using legit sketc/drawing pencils instead of mechanical ones.
Thanks for joining the thread!

I like the shading on this one. What is your take on the mechanical pencils? They seem easier to use, but I could see how they would limit the values.

Would you mind explaining some of the imagery?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟890,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Great scene. Was this from reference or is this a place near you? I really enjoy the way you filled up the frame. I struggle with that, putting in details throughout the whole landscape and extending out to the edges.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟890,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I rarely do pencil drawing. I am not sure why, I guess I don't like that I tend to smudge it, and I struggle with some of the traditional shading methods.

These are some of my pencil drawings from some time back:

pup.jpg
bird.jpg
dancing.jpg
oldguy.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟637,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Great scene. Was this from reference or is this a place near you? I really enjoy the way you filled up the frame. I struggle with that, putting in details throughout the whole landscape and extending out to the edges.
That was from reference (but I took quite a few liberties).
Here's another that is near my dad's house. I used "google maps" as my reference.
hwy70mcminneville_tb_cropped.jpg

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟890,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was from reference (but I took quite a few liberties).
Here's another that is near my dad's house. I used "google maps" as my reference.
View attachment 224276

We spent years driving across rural areas, and that reminds me of a lot of the scenes we would see. Looks like winter. I can imagine a stiff wind going across there.

Did you grow up on the farm then?

I never was able to get the landscape in pencil thing down, but it would be great to just go sit out somewhere and try. I also have done a little water color and now picked up some goauche that I might try. I seem to do better with shapes than lines when it comes to landscapes.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟637,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We spent years driving across rural areas, and that reminds me of a lot of the scenes we would see. Looks like winter. I can imagine a stiff wind going across there.

Did you grow up on the farm then?

I never was able to get the landscape in pencil thing down, but it would be great to just go sit out somewhere and try. I also have done a little water color and now picked up some goauche that I might try. I seem to do better with shapes than lines when it comes to landscapes.
Winter, yes.. the location is between McMinneville TN and Centertown on the Old Hwy.. one of those places that the travelers never see anymore. Tennessee winters, with no leaves on the trees.

I didn't grow up on a farm per say. I grew up in a rural, remote part of Tennessee, near Savage Gulf Natural Area. It was 1.1 miles from our house to the mailbox.
My dad has since moved after retirement.

Sometimes I wish I drew other things. Most of my sketches look the same (to me anyway).

Upvote 0