Classical Music Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Sheep

Stop the suffering in Iraq
Mar 10, 2002
✟6,046.00
This club is for any and all Christians that enjoy Classical music.

Be it Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Grieg, Mozart, Schubert and Schumann, et alii.

Remember that Classical music is not the "music" made in the '50s, '60s, or '70s ;).

Club Rules:
1. Follow the Forum Rules, ofcourse.
2. You must be a Christian.
3. You must enjoy Classical music, i.e. no posting here to put-down Classical music.
4. You must not bring up other, so-called "music."

Let the Bach-talk commence! :D

caley

Christian Anarchist
Oct 29, 2002
Fargo, ND
Visit site
✟1,081.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by A Sheep

Remember that Classical music is not the "music" made in the '50s, '60s, or '70s ;).

What about Philip Glass?  Steve Reich?  Frank Ticheli? Meredith Monk? Leonard Bernstein? Terry Riley? John Adams?  Kent Kennan? Paul Hindemith? Halsey Stevens? George Crumb?

I could go on and on and on...

The point is, there is much "classical" music being written even today.  Don't discount music based on its date of publication.

Upvote 0

A Sheep

Mar 10, 2002
✟6,046.00
When I refer to classical music, I am referring to music with instruments and without lyrics, it can be written/composed at any time or during any era.

When I said "Remember that Classical music is not the "music" made in the '50s, '60s, or '70s ;)." I was referring to oldies, pop music, hip-hop, country etc. They are not allowed to be discussed here.

Upvote 0

caley

Christian Anarchist
Oct 29, 2002
Fargo, ND
Visit site
✟1,081.00
Faith
Protestant
Also, if you want to get technical, "Classical" music really only refers to music written between 1750 and the early 1800's.  So, if you're only going to talk about "classical" music, then you can talk about Scarlatti, Haydn, Mozart, and early Beethoven, but that's not much of a time period.

(Bach composed in the Baroque period, not the Classical period.)

(Remember that periods of music were set up after the fact in an attempt to categorize similar sounding music.  Chronological dates are the easiest way to do so.  In the 20th century, however, people went in so many different directions [12-tone music, atonal music, neoclassical, minimalism, primitivism, cubism, ad infinitum] that it was hard to categorize.  Also, the word "classical" is a tough word to use to use anymore, because of the diversity of styles.  A better term is "Art music." [The term "Art music" describes a fundamentally different thing than the terms "Pop music" or "Folk music" do. "Classical music" is a clumsy term that has become used to describe whatever the speaker wants it to describe].) 

Upvote 0

caley

Christian Anarchist
Oct 29, 2002
Fargo, ND
Visit site
✟1,081.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by A Sheep
When I refer to classical music, I am referring to music with instruments and without lyrics, it can be written/composed at any time or during any era.

When I said "Remember that Classical music is not the "music" made in the '50s, '60s, or '70s ;)." I was referring to oldies, pop music, hip-hop, country etc. They are not allowed to be discussed here.

Understand. I apologize for the diatribe I made while you were posting that.  ;) (I am a music major, so that may explain it.)  Sometimes, people get down on the art music from the past few decades, so I have to explain that it's still music, whether or not it appeals to them.

Upvote 0

caley

Christian Anarchist
Oct 29, 2002
Fargo, ND
Visit site
✟1,081.00
Faith
Protestant
So, what are your favorite pieces?

Mine are (not necessarily in this order):

Mahler's Symphonies Nos. 1, 5, 9

Beethoven's Symphonies  Nos. 1, 3, 5, 9

Tschaikovsy's Symphonies Nos. 5, 7

Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique

Bartok's Concerto For Orchestra; Music for Winds, Percussion, and Celeste (3rd movement is the best piece of music written, ever! [Well, along with 2nd movement of the Hummel trumpet concerto.])

Lately, I've been really into George Crumb's Black Angels

Steve Reich's Different Trains

Philip Glass' Einstein on the Beach

Stravinsky's Symphony in three Movements

Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition (Ravel orchestration)

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by caley
Also, if you want to get technical, "Classical" music really only refers to music written between 1750 and the early 1800's.  So, if you're only going to talk about "classical" music, then you can talk about Scarlatti, Haydn, Mozart, and early Beethoven, but that's not much of a time period.

(Bach composed in the Baroque period, not the Classical period.) 

You took what I was going to say!!  hehe

I took a class on Baroque period music...and it was great.  :)

But also there was some music written by people in those periods with lyrics.  Handel's Messiah is a perfect example.  :)

Upvote 0

caley

Christian Anarchist
Oct 29, 2002
Fargo, ND
Visit site
✟1,081.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by AngelAmidala
You took what I was going to say!!  hehe

I took a class on Baroque period music...and it was great.  :)

But also there was some music written by people in those periods with lyrics.  Handel's Messiah is a perfect example.  :)

True, but I think that in classical music, the word "lyrics" can be replaced with the word "text" or "libretto" in 99% of the cases.  That is not true in pop/folk music

I took Baroque music last year.  It was boring.  The teacher lectured out of the book, so I stayed home and read the book, studied the listening examples, read Rameau's Harmonic Treatise and wrote a paper on it, and aced the class.  I never went to class (except for tests) past midterm.  I'm actually not a big fan of Baroque.  Pretty much anything written earlier than Beethoven has a hard time grabbing my attention (with a few exceptions like Purcell's Dido and Aeneas)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

caley

Christian Anarchist
Oct 29, 2002
Fargo, ND
Visit site
✟1,081.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by Blessed-one
Claude Debussy.

that's classical music right?
and a whole heaps of others when i turn on the radio.

Claude Debussy was a French Impressionist who was one of the first to musically rebel against the swollen Romanticism of Wagner.  He started to break down the idea of tonality by basing pieces on pentatonic and whole tone scales rather than the traditional major/minor modal scales.  "Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun" and "Claire de Lune" are two of his most famous tone poems for piano.

He was the first composer from France to really make it big since the Baroque/early classical periods (at that time, everything was centered around Germany).

Upvote 0

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello all :)

Yes... rennessaince (gr, never can spell that word), baroque, classical, romantic, and modern.

I can't stand modern "classical" music. Not classical music composed modernly (recently), but the modern style. It's nasty, dissonant, not resolves.... hehe.

I really enjoy Mendelssohn's symphonies, like the Scottish Symphony...

Piano music -> Chopin, Schubert, Liszt, Grieg :)

Other works... yeah, all of them ;)

I also like really old stuff like from the 12th and 13th centuries. :)

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Philip Glass??? Sorry, duple/triple fades fast for me, lol.

Bach is the master. I have to say that his work is my favorite.

Although, I will say that I do love the beautiful simplicity of Erik Satie and Claude Debussy.

Bartok is also lovely. His small piano folk pieces are great.

Berlioz, lol, that old kook... DIES IRAE!!!(Witches' Sabbath of SF) LOL! :D

Mahler... what can I say? Master of the dramatic... his 5th is awesome.

I never have liked Wagner.

Hmm... I'll think of someone else later... :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

caley

Christian Anarchist
Oct 29, 2002
Fargo, ND
Visit site
✟1,081.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by Blessed-one
is there contemporary music? just like contemporary art?
*difficult to understand if you asked me!*

Yes, and just like contemporary art, there are many many many different styles.  To name a few that have been experimented with in the 20th century: serialism, atonalism, neoclassicism, cubism, primitivism, minimalism, impressionism, expressionism, electronic.

Not all styles worked:  serialism failed miserably, atonalism worked well.  

paulewog, if you don't like modern music, here's some modern composers you might check out:

Steve Reich

Alan Hovhanness

Vincent Persechetti

Frank Ticheli (he's a band composer, but I still think he's one of the best guys out there).

Kent Kennan

Paul Hindemith

Oliver Messaien

I don't like a lot of modern music either.  I hate people like John Cage and Iannis Xenakis.  I had to play a Xenakis piece for this brass quintet I was in last year, and let me tell you, Xenakis does not know how to write for brass instruments The piece was 33 measures long, triple-forte, high, and eighth note=60 beats per minute.  If anyone here plays trumpet, they will understand that playing that piece was like a trip through Hell.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by caley
I had to play a Xenakis piece for this brass quintet I was in last year, and let me tell you, Xenakis does not know how to write for brass instruments The piece was 33 measures long, triple-forte, high, and eighth note=60 beats per minute.  If anyone here plays trumpet, they will understand that playing that piece was like a trip through Hell.

ROFLOL!!!! I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!! :D

Now Giovanni Gabrielli... he was the man. :cool:

BTW, I love Hovhaness.

Upvote 0

A Sheep

Mar 10, 2002
✟6,046.00
I must plead ignorance, and the Fifth ;). I am very new to this type of music. Someone told me that they like it, and I don't like offensive music, so I listened to some of it and I really like it.

I really do like classical and barbeque(sp? ;):p) music, I listen to it on the radio and there are many, many, many midis of it that are completely legal and free at The Classical Music Archive.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.