ChromeOS Flex

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟432,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey all,
I know this topic has been brought up before but I converted my mid 2013 Acer Aspire V5 into a ChromeOS flex device. Boy call me shocked! :D It works like a brand new unit! I can install all my flatpak linux apps on my system, (Including Libreoffice!) It runs and purrs like a new kitten! If you do not have ChromeOS Flex yet, you should at least download the .bin file and play around with it in Virtualbox. My lord is this a secure, fast, and safe OS! I am sticking with ChromeOS Flex from now on. No more windows for me except via VirtualBox or a VM!

• Informative
Reactions: d taylor

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hey all,
I know this topic has been brought up before but I converted my mid 2013 Acer Aspire V5 into a ChromeOS flex device. Boy call me shocked! :D It works like a brand new unit! I can install all my flatpak linux apps on my system, (Including Libreoffice!) It runs and purrs like a new kitten! If you do not have ChromeOS Flex yet, you should at least download the .bin file and play around with it in Virtualbox. My lord is this a secure, fast, and safe OS! I am sticking with ChromeOS Flex from now on. No more windows for me except via VirtualBox or a VM!

Do you have to purchase the Chrome OS Flex, if not how do you get this, from online somewhere

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟137,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey all,
That is pretty cool. For me, when Windows 10 is depreciated, Linux Mint seems like a good choice, and ranks as one of the best Linux distributions as of 2023. I'll check back with you in 23 months when Windows 10 ends. ;)

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟432,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That is pretty cool. For me, when Windows 10 is depreciated, Linux Mint seems like a good choice, and ranks as one of the best Linux distributions as of 2023. I'll check back with you in 23 months when Windows 10 ends. ;)
Well I only have one beef with ChromeOS Flex. Virtualization. Installing a VM to use Windows is a pain. That and Flex is not dual-boot capable. So if you value your hard drive, do not install flex. Or try it in a program like Virtualbox first. That way you save your HDD. But Mint is still a good decision brother!

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟137,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well I only have one beef with ChromeOS Flex. Virtualization. Installing a VM to use Windows is a pain. That and Flex is not dual-boot capable. So if you value your hard drive, do not install flex. Or try it in a program like Virtualbox first. That way you save your HDD. But Mint is still a good decision brother!
I have never used a virtual machine, and the name ChromeOS turns me away from that OS, as Chrome reminds me of those Chromebooks we late millennials/Gen-Z used in school way back.

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟210,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Installing any variation of Linux on an old computer is a good idea, as it will improve its performance by reducing the OS background tasks and OS bandwidth usage. At the same time, I would shy away from this distro due to privacy reasons, as this software sends your personal data, including hardware data, to Google at regular intervals. That's a waste of valuable bandwidth and processing power.

For an older computer, you want a secure distro that doesn't use much processing power or bandwidth, as those are limited. Older processors aren't as capable as new ones and old WiFi chips are slower than new ones. I would also recommend, unless you're using the computer for a small niche application, to swap your hard drive for a better one with the Windows --> Linux transition. Especially if your computer still has an HDD, you'll be glad that you made the switch to SSD. Add some memory too if you can.

Upvote 0