Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It has been over ten years since I have been to a chiropractor. I am going now and there is a lot of misalignment.
I hope it does some good. It makes sense.

But it occurs to me also as a spiritual metaphor. Over time our bad habits can slowly mess us up.
I wish it were as easy to realign my spirit and mind as it is to work on my body.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I've never been to a chiropractor. However, I benefitted alot from physical therapy and myofacial release. I had pelvic pain syndrome. It was strange being one of the few men at a clinic that mostly helped women, as I had completely different plumbing. But men can get the same types of problems women experience.

I thought I had prostatitis, as that was the kind of pain I was experiencing. It turned out I just had problems from sitting too much and not stretching enough, and it lead to chronic pain. You wouldn't believe the amount of hoops I had to jump through, to get to a cure. I even took antibiotics for two months, to no effect, and it badly damaged my gut microbiome and took years to recover from. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia right around the same time period.

I would recommend yoga or pilates. They develop a fair amount of core strength and the atmosphere and culture of both is very conducive to being sustainable, with low rates of injury. It won't get you jacked, but core strength is very important for everything you do, and I don't think in our culture we appreciate enough small benefits that are highly sustainable over a lifetime.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've never been to a chiropractor. However, I benefitted alot from physical therapy and myofacial release. I had pelvic pain syndrome. It was strange being one of the few men at a clinic that mostly helped women, as I had completely different plumbing. But men can get the same types of problems women experience.

I thought I had prostatitis, as that was the kind of pain I was experiencing. It turned out I just had problems from sitting too much and not stretching enough, and it lead to chronic pain. You wouldn't believe the amount of hoops I had to jump through, to get to a cure. I even took antibiotics for two months, to no effect, and it badly damaged my gut microbiome and took years to recover from. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia right around the same time period.

I would recommend yoga or pilates. They develop a fair amount of core strength and the atmosphere and culture of both is very conducive to being sustainable, with low rates of injury. It won't get you jacked, but core strength is very important for everything you do, and I don't think in our culture we appreciate enough small benefits that are highly sustainable over a lifetime.
I lift weights and that helps with A1c. And do treadmill on off days. I try to make it all a spiritual discipline, a penance, because I don't really enjoy it. i can do one or the other for 30 minutes every day. Adjustments, not so much. But they seem like a good metaphor.:)

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I lift weights and that helps with A1c. And do treadmill on off days. I try to make it all a spiritual discipline, a penance, because I don't really enjoy it. i can do one or the other for 30 minutes every day. Adjustments, not so much. But they seem like a good metaphor.:)

I view it as more like brushing your teeth, just something you have to do to stay healthy.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I view it as more like brushing your teeth, just something you have to do to stay healthy.
Yes, good example. As Catholics we also have the Sacrament of Confession. Feels like tooth cleaning.:D

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟110,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It has been over ten years since I have been to a chiropractor. I am going now and there is a lot of misalignment.

But it occurs to me also as a spiritual metaphor. Over time our bad habits can slowly mess us up.
I wish it were as easy to realign my spirit and mind as it is to work on my body.
Have you heard that the inventor of chiropractition claimed that he got his knowledge of the new treatment by "ghosts"? I would not trust chiropracty, unless it works for you. The guy who founded this practice sounds like a hack.

Chiropracty founder: Daniel David Palmer - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

I do resistance training, too. I don't find it so arduous, at least no yet.

Try resistance bands. Much easier on the joints. Cable machines would be my second choice.

I'm lucky that so far I have dodged the diabetes bullet. I think being a vegetarian much of my life early life helped with that. However, as I enter deeper into middle age, my skinny fat physique is catching up with me. That's one of the reason I took up some kind of exercise routine. My mom has diabetes (as did my grandmother), so do most people at my church, and I just want to avoid that.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you heard that the inventor of chiropractition claimed that he got his knowledge of the new treatment by "ghosts"? I would not trust chiropracty, unless it works for you. The guy who founded this practice sounds like a hack.

in 1913 I think a lot of "medicine" was more theory than evidence based. Today we may be more realistic about it. I have not had an adjustment in ten years and then it was because of a problem and I am not sure it helped. Now I don't have a problem and want to use up Flex money that I will otherwise lose. I also got prescribed orthopedic arch supports so I ought to be well aligned. Cant hurt.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟110,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
in 1913 I think a lot of "medicine" was more theory than evidence based. Today we may be more realistic about it. I have not had an adjustment in ten years and then it was because of a problem and I am not sure it helped. Now I don't have a problem and want to use up Flex money that I will otherwise lose. I also got prescribed orthopedic arch supports so I ought to be well aligned. Cant hurt.
Just be careful. Arch supports are a good idea. But I do recommend that you invest in an ergonomic chair.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do resistance training, too. I don't find it so arduous, at least no yet.

Try resistance bands. Much easier on the joints. Cable machines would be my second choice.

I'm lucky that so far I have dodged the diabetes bullet. I think being a vegetarian much of my life early life helped with that. However, as I enter deeper into middle age, my skinny fat physique is catching up with me. That's one of the reason I took up some kind of exercise routine. My mom has diabetes (as did my grandmother), so do most people at my church, and I just want to avoid that.
You might like Dr Gregor videos.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟316,232.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

I’m surprised. Chiropractic is built on a foundation of innate intelligence and otherworldly powers.

Seems the kind of thing Christians would be against.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟316,232.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Yeah, it’s all quackery based on the supernatural. Complete bunk.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟316,232.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Cant hurt.
E Ernst (2010). "Deaths after chiropractic: a review of published cases". Int J Clin Pract. 64 (8): 1162–65. doi:10.1111/j.1742-1241.2010.02352.x. PMID 20642715. S2CID 45225661. Some chiropractic proponents seem to think that a critical evaluation of the research is tantamount to a 'scare story' or to 'puffing up (the evidence) out of all proportion'... A reasonable approach to serious risk from chiropractic therapy, however, requires an open examination.”

Might be worth a read.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
You might like Dr Gregor videos.

I watch him sometimes. I like watching Dr. Gil Carvalho, too.

My S.O. also eats a vegan diet but she has high LDL cholesterol and APOB, despite all that. She has the APOE4 gene variant. Her cholesterol is much lower than when she wasn't vegan, however. It turns out, there's a minority of vegans that have high LDL and APOB, almost always due to genetics. She eats the same food I do, but we are trying to add more nuts into her diet. If it doesn't work, we might want to try a low dose statin.

If the weight training keeps up, I'm going to have to start buying specialty clothes, actually. The past few weeks, all my clothes started getting tighter in the shoulders. I am actually eating a relatively low protein diet (about 75g per day), but I'm still gaining muscle mass. I don't expect to get swole, I'll settle for Brad Pitt from Fight Club... but actually it's just nice to be able to contemplate picking up furniture without wrenching my back.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

That's why I discovered going barefoot and wearing minimalist shoes.

I had similar experiences to this guy, except I also had more hip and back pain. I'm not a runner, I was just walking alot. I still haven't completely transitioned, but I stopped wearing shoes indoors:

It's also worth looking up Nicholas Pedicini. He was an orthopedist that wrote about the benefits of going barefoot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, it’s all quackery based on the supernatural. Complete bunk.
I don't see how physical manipulation is supernatural.

Anyhow, these days it is mostly slick business and I don't like that.
They want you to come in monthly for "maintenance" at $50 for a ten minute session. That $300/hr.

Upvote 0